Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th December 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
The Double D

Default Zulu Sticks

iWisa. Knobkerrie with large head. Special care has to be taken in making this knobkerrie, and only certain trees, such as umthathe and ntncaka, are used. Before being fashioned, the stick, a straight, thick one, is stripped of its bark and placed under the manure in the cattle-kraal. This prevents it from drying too quickly and cracking (Stuart, uTulasizwe, pp. 52-5).

inSulungu. Knobkerrie with an unusually massive head. Bryant, Zulu English Dictionary.

isiMongo. Large-headed, short-handled knobkerrie for throwing. Bryant, Dictionary

Chopho, iCopo, isiShingo, uShingwana. Small-headed, fancy knobkerrie, with head scooped out underneath and on top. Used at display dances. Samuelson, Long, Long Ago, p. 308

isAgila, isAgisha. Rough knobkerrie, with head consisting of the root of a tree or joint of a branch. Used for hurling at birds Land small game. Samuelson, Long, Long Ago,

umZaca, umShiza. Stout stick or shaft without a knob, such as are commonly carried by young men for defensive purposes. . Bryant, Dictionary. Samuelson gives its length as about three and a half Lfeet

isaKhwili. A short umZaca. . Bryant, Dictionary

isiViliBa. Thicker and shorter than umZaca. .Samuelson, Long, Long Ago,

isiQogolo, isiGongotho. Short, thick stick, picked up for belabouring with. Samuelson, Long, Long Ago,

iSwazi. Thin, straight stick for fencing, according to Samuelson. Samuelson, Long, Long Ago, Bryant says it is a peculiar kind of assegai, with groove down the middle, used by the Swazis.

isiPhiselo. An Umzaca sharply pointed at one end, according to Bryant. Bryant, Dictionary. Samuelson says it is a small, round-headed knobkerrie, and he calls the pointed stick Shibe-dabe.

inDuku. Long, walking staff of any kjnd, whether knobbed (iWisa) or plain (umZaca) or supplied with an- iron, barbed end. Bryant, Dictionary

uBoko, uDdndolo, uZime. Long, walking stick, such as is used by old men and women. Bryant, Dictionary

uDlewedlewe, uNhlongweni. Very long staff. Colenso, Zulu Dictionary

uluKhande. Long, sharp stick for throwing at the inTsema (a large spherical tuber weighing up to eight pounds, which is sent rolling down a slope).
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Very interesting, you have some nice sticks. IsiMongo? Total length 55cm. Ball diameter 10cm. I had always been unsure about this one. Much more happy now. Perhaps a little older than i had first thought.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
ggoudie

Hi guys ,any ideas on this one ?
Attached Images

ggoudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

That is nice. It looks to me to be east African perhaps Tanzania, the wood is very much like this one. Your club is the same shape as some illustrated in a book, Armies of the 19th century, East Africa. The one I post is not a fighting example.
Attached Images

Old 18th December 2006, 03:36 AM   #5
The Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Very interesting, you have some nice sticks. IsiMongo? Total length 55cm. Ball diameter 10cm. I had always been unsure about this one. Much more happy now. Perhaps a little older than i had first thought.
isiMongo just seems to sound so right for your knobkerrie...the name has a ring!
Old 20th December 2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default just to illustrate...

Some pics for illustration about clubs
Luc
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 01:25 AM   #7
nKante

Hey Luc, please tell me were I can locate these illustrations. I am interested in traditional african armor.
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 05:12 AM   #8
roanoa

Hi Luc. I am looking at the warrior #10. How is it identified in your book? Sudanese? I have a short sword like the one he is wearing on his belt, even though the scabbrd is fitted with an arm loop. Cheers and Happy New Year. Ron
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

This is well worth a look. No old sticks though.
http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_Coetzee_0902.htm
Old 20th January 2007, 10:07 AM   #10
The Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
This is well worth a look. No old sticks though.
http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_Coetzee_0902.htm

Tim,

This is a very interesting link. It explains a lot. While driving aroudn Zulu land you see people carring sticks and umbrellas and you often wonder why.

A local antique shop has a stick they call a Zulu Dance stick. But it is identical to the sticks shown in the picture of Manzabelayo Zulu and Dukubonge Shongwe sparring in section 8.

I suppose that will find it's way into my wifes knobkerrie collection once she reads that website.
Old 20th January 2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Some very interesting information on sticks/staffs and there importance in the 19th early 20th century can be found in "The Art of Southeast Africa" available from amazon. In this book it is suggested that well carved sticks were used as tribute to the Zulu empire.
Old 20th January 2007, 10:57 PM   #12
Luc LEFEBVRE

Sorry to be late for reply...
I found these pictures for sale on ebay, a few month ago.
No more information on them !
Luc
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote