Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Dao for opinions please

Hi all,
Please have a look at my latest aquisition.
I've always wanted a big Dao, I really wanted a curved classic 'oxtail' (niu wei) Dao, but who am I to refuse fate.
So, here it is, I think this shape is military style?
Is it a 'Goose Quill' (yan mao) Dao?
The handle fittings and thick cord binding have been painted with some kind of black pitch at some stage, looks like long ago.
Opinions and any information please, I know nothing!
Date? Boxer?
Dimensions: 90cm (36") Weight 1500g (just under 3 1/2 lb)

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
RSWORD

What you have is a Dao of the Boxer Rebellion period. It is not a military sword but rather a civilian one. They tend to be heavy, chopper type weapons because most of the civilian armed with this were not trained martial artist so they just needed something they could "swing" that if connected would cause damage.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Klas Larsson

Quote:
Is it a 'Goose Quill' (yan mao) Dao?
I think this is a Willow Leaf style, liu ye dao, the reason being the early start of the curve on the blade. On a yan mao dao the curve would start closer to the tip, around 6 inch or so from the tip, and the blade would be straight all the way to that point, on a liu ye dao the curve would start close to the forte, and continue for all the blades length. Also, I have the impression that yan mao dao are the more common blade earlier in Qing, around Qian Long time, for military blades.
Quote:
So, here it is, I think this shape is military style?
It is, and for some reason they often have this coating, could be lacquer? Also the scabbard, over the ray skin cover, and it's fittings. Protects of course and no give away gleam of metal? I have seen examples that been polished and etched showing trace of a nice pattern and differential heating.
Quote:
Date? Boxer?
Yes, late Qing, maybe as early as from mid 19th, but that's me guessing.

I happened to post at the same time as RSWORD, and didn't see your post first, but editing a comment now, I think it is military, most dao like this that I have seen has been said to be. But I have no regulations or books to support that, more like hear-say
And maybe that this style is common, and very often found, with this precise look, can speak for it being mass produced like a military dao would be? Otherwise the variety of looks and styles are great in Chinese dao, but this one comes up often.

Last edited by Klas Larsson; 21st August 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Klas Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 12:29 AM   #4
Atlantia

Thanks for the replys :-)
So do you both think the hideous cord binding is original?
Old 21st August 2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Klas Larsson

Found a link to Alfred Tans web-page with a very similar dao, and the comment that it's military, hope he don't mind me using it. I think he in turn has his information from Phil Tom, who have restored his Chinese swords on this page http://www.japanesesword.com/Images/...se/DaoJian.htm

Taking a second look, doesn't that dao in the link look more yan mao dao like, if you should think about what I said on the curve of the blade.... and with a tapper to the blade... and it seems to have a little more curve to the handle, no? Maybe a little earlier style, or for another army group? Ahh well , waiting for the real experts who can read army regulations manuals to fill in here

Last edited by Klas Larsson; 21st August 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Klas Larsson

Quote:
So do you both think the hideous cord binding is original?
Probably not, its to thick and the way it's wrapped does not look right. I would have wrapped it in the style you see on Alfred Tans dao, or just wrapped around, with dark blue or green cord, that where used for the Blue and Green banners.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klas Larsson
Probably not, its to thick and the way it's wrapped does not look right. I would have wrapped it in the style you see on Alfred Tans dao, or just wrapped around, with dark blue or green cord, that where used for the Blue and Green banners.
Thank-you Klas. The sword you mention appears to be identical to mine (except in nicer condition).
And the hideous binding can go in the bin as soon as I can find the right replacements and an explanation of the binding technique! Any suggestions? ;-)
Old 21st August 2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Klas Larsson

There were threads on this at the old SFI Chinese sword forum, that are archived, good ones.