Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th June 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
clockwork

Default Unknown Weapon

Hi guys I picked up a new piece while in china and I have no idea what it is. I was told the martial art masters were the only ones that used it. It reminds me of a skinny mace with a protective cover. It is 20 and 3/4 inches long total and 18 and 1/4. with out the cover. it has a hole in the back and a sliding metal clasp to keep the cover from coming open. The second item I picked up in china is a hand cannon and it 37 and half centimetres or 15 inches long at the widest point is 2 and 1/4 inches I think there is some writing near the base but not sure how to clean it with out hurting it. the bore is 3/4 inch. the length of the barrel is about 10 and the wood pole goes in about 3 and 1/4. Fernando will be posting pics soon 4 me.
clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Pictures.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
fernando

A couple more.

Attached Images

Old 15th June 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
clockwork

thanks Fernando
Old 15th June 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

The second looks like a type of cannon, but what it the first one?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
fernando

That's precisely the question
Old 15th June 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
clockwork

the second is an chinese pole / hand cannon I believe there from the 15th thro 17 centuries. but dont much more than that.
Old 15th June 2013, 08:07 PM   #8
fernando

That's a lot of years, Tony
Old 15th June 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
RhysMichael

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be

Last edited by RhysMichael; 15th June 2013 at 08:37 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 10:10 PM   #10
trenchwarfare

I'm thinking some kind of harpoon, or harpoon head. Maybe fired from a cannon? Looks to dangerous to be used as a hand held weapon. Would easily pinch your fingers off. The pole cannon is cool, and looks legit. Lots of fakes coming out of China. All I've seen, are very heavily rusted.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Philip

Default doesn't look kosher to me

The hand cannon is trying to look like an original specimen from the heyday of these weapons, 14th through early 17th cent. However, based on seeing published examples in various museums, handling others in private collections, and even owning a few, I can state with confidence that the appearance of this example is not anywhere near that of the diverse types of these weapons made in China, Vietnam, Korea, and even Japan. The proportions and shape are not right. One should also remember that the vast majority of Far Eastern examples are made of bronze, not iron. Another point is that the corrosion seen on this example is too uniform for something that has been rusting away for many centuries, possibly underground. It looks induced by an aggressive acid bath. The touch-hole is just too symmetrical for something that would likely be eroded by heat and explosive byproducts ejected during firing over a period of time.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all... My guess is that the first item is a set of folding scales .
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 10:32 AM   #13
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all... My guess is that the first item is a set of folding scales .
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Pretty good guess, i would say.
Old 16th June 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
clockwork

all the weight is in the back so dont believe its a scale. The cover can be locked with a ring and can be with some difficulty locked on the back side. plus the front has sharpened edges.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:05 AM   #15
fearn

Is the sharpening of the one edge of the same age as the rest? Ibrahim's the first one to suggest a possible function.

It doesn't make much sense as a standalone weapon, because that swinging cover is a wonderful knuckle masher. The blunt end is quite large to be used as a haft. It makes some sense as a scale, but only if it's been altered to be more weaponish.

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 03:05 AM   #16
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Is the sharpening of the one edge of the same age as the rest? Ibrahim's the first one to suggest a possible function.

It doesn't make much sense as a standalone weapon, because that swinging cover is a wonderful knuckle masher. The blunt end is quite large to be used as a haft. It makes some sense as a scale, but only if it's been altered to be more weaponish.

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Best,

F
Did you not read my post?
Old 17th June 2013, 04:18 AM   #17
soni bikaner

...My guess is that the first item is a "Torture Device"
soni bikaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
machinist

It looks like a butchers gambrel to me. A device for hanging a carcass by its tendons. But such a thing would usually have an angle to it that would help keep the legs spread.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 07:52 PM   #19
fernando

Is that a hole, there?
Is that whole section hollow ?
Attached Images

Old 17th June 2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Dmitry

The first one looks like a large scale, perhaps for weighing grains.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 02:10 AM   #21
clockwork

Fernando, it is not hollow just a hole and most of the weight is in that area. I joined a chinese cite that discusses weapons hopefully the can help me with this item as well.

Last edited by clockwork; 18th June 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 18th June 2013, 04:48 PM   #22
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork
Fernando, it is not hollow just a hole and most of the weight is in that area. I joined a chinese cite that discusses weapons hopefully the can help me with this item as well.
If a scale, it'd be for a set measure of weight, as there are no (visible) calibrations. There is a farm implement called a "hay harpoon". Used for hauling hay bails into the loft.

Last edited by trenchwarfare; 19th June 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 19th June 2013, 01:59 PM   #23
fernando

I'd go back to that hole. It must be there for some reason. Was there some appendix stuck in it ?
Old 19th June 2013, 04:33 PM   #24
fearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I'd go back to that hole. It must be there for some reason. Was there some appendix stuck in it ?
I'm trying to figure this out logically:

--it's likely not a hay harpoon or similar, because there's no barb on the sharp end.

--it's likely not a weaponoid artifact, because there's no good evidence that the sharp end was sharpened to make it look like a weapon. The swinging bit does act as a blade guard for the sharp end, because it won't swing around the heavy end, and the ring to close it only closes the sharp end.

--The ends are asymmetric, and there's a hole in the heavy end. This suggests that there's a purpose to the design, and possibly that purpose is not confusing collectors.

--The joint for the swivel is fairly thin, which makes it less likely to be a fulcrum for a heavy weight (as in a butcher's gambrel) or a scale.

So what have we got? I still don't know.

One thing I'm starting to wonder is whether it's part of some sort of booby trap, where the sharp end gets swiveled out by the action of a string on the heavy end.

The other thought is that it's the most over-built tent stake I've ever seen (sharp end goes in the ground, heavy end is used as the tie-off, and sheath makes it easier to carry).
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 06:00 PM   #25
colin henshaw

My guess is its to be stuck in the ground and used to tether either a bird or smallish animal. Perhaps hens/geese in a market or a bird of prey as in falconry, or something like a ferret as used in hunting

The iron sheath is just protective and the hole in the thick end to thread a cord or thong through.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 04:38 AM   #26
clockwork

Well its a shame we cold not figure out what this is, But thank you for all the input. Maybe in the future I will figure it out.
Old 24th June 2013, 10:00 AM   #27
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork
Well its a shame we cold not figure out what this is, But thank you for all the input. Maybe in the future I will figure it out.
Salaams clockwork~ I think you will find that a number of posts indicate exactly what you have... a set of scales.. albeit incomplete i.e. minus the weighing dishes.. I would say for measuring spices etc

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:54 PM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams clockwork~ I think you will find that a number of posts indicate exactly what you have... a set of scales.. albeit incomplete i.e. minus the weighing dishes.. I would say for measuring spices etc
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Well, i'd hardly say there has been ANY definitive answer to what this first item might be. When i look back over this thread i find exactly one other person who seems to fully agree with you on the scale possibility. Not much of a consensus there. If it is a scale there are an awful lot of oddities about it.
1. Why would a scale have a balance bar that is drastically unbalanced in weight. Clockwork has stated that all the weight is on the side with the hole.
2. How would the missing weighing trays hang? There is only a hole on one end of the unbalanced balance bar.
3. Why would one end of a scale's balance bar be dangerously sharpened like a spear?
Frankly, while interesting, i think we are spending an awful amount of time discussing an implement that most probably is not a weapon...but i don't think it is a scale either....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams David,
I agree with your point 3 in particular... however, since we have a debate I was thinking about the floating "d ring" well described at #1 as a sliding metal clasp, which, it is assumed keeps the assembly in place when being transported... but which is, I suspect, the hanging point of one side of the scales so that there are, in fact, not two dishes... but one ... so that the scales follow a similar style to chinese opium scales. That would also explain why there is no hole in the redundant other end.. The other missing parts are the weighing dish and its likely 4 hanging cords and the hook and weight assembly built to hang on the "d ring" which is mobile across its bar. It would appear that the graticules determining weight are inscribed on the bar itself... which is also the case at #1 .

See Chinese Opium Scale picture below;

I agree this does not appear to be a weapon.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th June 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 25th June 2013, 07:20 PM   #30
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A INTERESTING DESCUSSION I HAVE NEVER USED SUCH A SCALE BUT KNOW THEY ARE IN USE IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD EVEN TODAY. EVERYTHING ABOUT SUCH A SCALE WOULD HAVE A PURPOSE AS THEY WERE OFTEN CARRIED FROM PLACE TO PLACE AND HAD TO BE SET UP AND TAKEN DOWN REGULARLY. SIZE AND WEIGHT WOULD BE IMPORTANT AS YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO CARRY ANYMORE THAN NECESSARY. PERHAPS THE BLADE SERVED TO MAKE A HOLE IN THE DIRT OR IN A BOARD OR SOMETHING FOR MOUNTING THE SCALE OR PERFORMED SOME OTHER TOOL FUNCTION. WHATEVER IT IS I DON'T THINK ITS A WEAPON OR FORM OF TRAP BUT A INTERESTING TOOL.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote