Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 20th July 2017, 02:10 PM   #1
alexish

Default Balinese Barong Handle

Pardon my ignorance. I just bought a handle that I think represent the Balinese Barong. I know that the fight between Barong and Rangda is a common theme in Balinese culture. Would like to seek forum members opinion on this handle.
Attached Images

alexish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 02:41 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice modern carving, but not a traditional design for a Balinese keris hilt AFAIK. You are correct that the battle between Rangda and Barong is and ancient depiction of the battle of good vs. evil and that the keris does indeed play a part in that battle as depicted in the Barong Dance that has become a staple of presentations mostly done for tourists these days.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Gustav

Sinhalese lion on top, Madurese motif in the middle, Balinese selut, carwed in wood below.

So quite eclectic piece.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 01:17 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Yep.

Gustav

I agree completely that this handle does not use Balinese motifs, but I think it probably was carved in Bali.

The Balinese carvers are perhaps the best in the world, and in the current era they borrow forms and motifs from other cultures and societies. This is very good carving, it uses kayu arang (or ireng) which is commonly used in Balinese carvings. I think it is a very nice piece of current era Balinese art that has borrowed the motifs from elsewhere.

You're pretty good in identifying cultural origin of motifs, and you give the lion as Sinhalese. I am not disputing this, but my own feeling was more towards Siamese. Can you give a reference that ties this lion form to Ceylon?

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 21st July 2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: after thoughts
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Gustav

Alan, I also think that the carving of the lions head is of very good quality, with many small, crisp details, yet the parts below are not so accurate in execution. The difference is rather noticeable. And like you, I also suppose, it comes from Bali.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 21st July 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:21 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Re the lion head, yes, similarities, and I have seen these kastane hilts.

I don't have time at the moment, but I'll see if I can find some Siamese pics that influenced my feelings.

Re the variation of the motifs in execution, what I think I can see is perhaps a photo problem. This thing might look a bit different in the hand.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Gustav

The best picture technically is the first one. The difference in carving quality between the parts to me seems noticeable.

Of course, the lions head isn't exact copy of a Kastane, that surely wasn't attempted, and isn't possible (see Malayan and Indonesian Tajong hilts). Yet the model for it with some certainty was a Kastane handle. If the model was a picture of a Kastane (most likely), the similarity, of course, will be the greatest in profile.
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2017, 12:32 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I was thinking the same thing about the mix and Sinhalese lion attribution.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 04:04 AM   #9
alexish

Default Another lion hilt from same dealer

Dear forum members,

Thank you so much for all your insightful comments. Now I understand where the design of my barong handle came form.

I also enclose pictures of another handle that I had earlier bought from the same dealer in Bali at a slightly cheaper price.

Not sure whether it resembles a lion or dragon? Perhaps it is also inspired by the Sinhala kastane sword?
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2017, 09:26 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Yes, there is a noticeable difference in sharpness of detail between the head and the body of the hilt, but before I put it down to execution I would need to have it in my hand.

Balinese carving is rarely the work of a single person, it is usually a group effort, with people of varying degrees of skill being assigned different asks in completion of a whole, so what we are seeing here could well be because of that group involvement. Something to be expected, that does not speak against Balinese origin, but rather gives weight to that opinion.

Still, for me I still have a question in my mind about the lion head. Yes, there is similarity with that well known kastane for. No argument. But browsing pics of other SE Asian art works does not yet convince me that the model for that hilt was of Ceylonese origin.
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Gustav

Alan, I am not sure if we could find an SEA art work with greater likeness to it then the lions head on a Kastane handle.
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:43 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Sure, maybe not.
Old 22nd July 2017, 01:57 PM   #13
A. G. Maisey

I do not want to spend unavailable time on something that is of no value to my objectives, however, in all fairness I probably should add a quick further note on this matter.

The kastane is a Sinhalese (Ceylonese) weapon.
In old Sri Lanka it seems to have been primarily from the Kingdom of Kandi.
Kandi was Buddhist.
The Sinhalese people have a long association with lion symbolism, I believe a lexicographer would find that the very name of the people themselves comes from the word "sinha" or "simha" which comes from "singha" = lion.

In Sri Langka the name used for the Chinthe is "Simha", just as in Thailand the name used for the Chinthe is "singha", and this is where the confusion in calling the kastane pommel a "lion" originates. It is called a lion because the name of a Chinthe in Sri Langka is the same word as is used for a lion, but the artistic representation of the pommel is only the head of a lion.

The body of a lion and the body of a Chinthe are really very different:- one is an animal, one is human with a lion head.

If we consider the lion head on the kastane pommel in the context of weaponry from the region there are at least two possible interpretations. If interpreted as lion it becomes linked to the Sinhalese people as a whole, and perhaps to the warrior caste in particular. If interpreted as a Chinthe it becomes protective.

Possibly, as with much of symbolism from South and South East Asia, we have multi symbolism in play in this matter. That is to say that the symbol of the lion's head can be read in different ways dependent upon context. Even a weapon itself is not always just a weapon.

Where the kastane is concerned it seems to me that there has been very extended debate going on between various groups with various political or personal barrows to push that want to make this lion's head into a makara or a serapendiya. I don't want to go there, all I will say is that prior to Gustav's introduction of the idea that the possible inspiration for the lion head on the Bali hilt was a kastane hilt, I knew nothing of, and did not want to know anything of, kastanes & etc.

Anything I have written after that time has come from the net, yes, admitted, I do have access to a number of academic sources that require registration, or some other association, to get into, but I would much have preferred to use my own hardcopy references.

I presently have not the slightest doubt that the kastane pommel is intended to represent the head of a lion, not some other fabulous beast.

I suspect that the symbolic intent of this head can be interpreted in different ways dependent upon context.

To return to my original question to Gustav:-

"--- You're pretty good in identifying cultural origin of motifs, and you give the lion as Sinhalese. I am not disputing this, but my own feeling was more towards Siamese. Can you give a reference that ties this lion form to Ceylon? ---"

I think Gustav has adequately demonstrated that the form inspiration can be attributed to the Chinthe, perhaps even a Sinhalese interpretation of the Chinthe, and there is an admitted similarity between the Bali hilt lion's head and the kastane lion's heads that Gustav has shown.

My failure to be completely convinced that our Balinese carver used one of Gustav's kastane hilts, or any other kastane head is probably due to both my original placement of that Bali head into a context other than the kastane, and to the fact that since I started to look at this question I've looked at a very vast number of Chinthe images, and I can see sufficient similarity to the Bali head in any number of Chinthe heads from any number of sources, that would permit a Balinese carver to produce the hilt that started this thread.

Actually, the singha that Balinese people place into the rafters of their houses often has a head that is very similar to a Chinthe head. Maybe our carver was giving a new interpretation to a very, very old Balinese form.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 23rd July 2017 at 01:50 AM. Reason: more time
Old 22nd July 2017, 05:21 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Alan, I think you make some great points and I am now inclined toward your arguments. You are correct in the motif being a common guardian. I have seen this in different Buddhist temples around the whole area.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:17 AM   #15
Gustav

Now, with some delay we see another, similar hilt, in post #9. Seeing this hilt, I never would come to the idea the model for it would have been a picture of a Kastane pommel. It's something completely different - stylistically, and my analysis was only a stylistic one.

We have had a huge and in many aspects quite interesting and entertaining thread on our Forum (and a related entry in Wikipedia, which have seen many labour pains) about what the Kastane pommel depicts. I have not the slightest interest to step again in those waters. Yes, I also am acquainted with SEA temple guardians from books about SEA art and architecture since my childhood. I surely wasn'nt there, when the hilt from #1 was carved, yet it's absolutely obvious that the carver's model was a picture of a Ceylonese Kastane pommel. So a second attempt to be more clear:

Srilankan Simha (සිංහ) on top, Madurese motif in the middle, Balinese selut, carwed in wood below.

A quite eclectic piece.

Yes, and the carving quality is quite inconsistent.
Old 23rd July 2017, 01:54 AM   #16
A. G. Maisey

What has appeared above as Post#13 was intended to be added to my original comment, which has now disappeared.

Sorry, but I've already used too much time on this.

I'm out.

EDIT

Thanks Gustav, I just threw "kastane": into the search function and it is clear there is a lot of discussion on it, I do not have time to look at this, if I was interested I would, but I'm not interested in things that use a lot of time and do not contribute towards achievement of current objectives.

My apologies for my audit world view.
Old 24th July 2017, 03:17 AM   #17
David
Keris forum moderator

Personally i find discussion on this particular forum about the origins of the kastane hilt not only a great waste of time, but completely off topic for this forum.
Again, somewhat nicely carved, but completely non-traditional art carvings that have nothing to do with Balinese keris culture. If this is what you like to collect Alexish, so be it. But i personally do not see any further discussion of these hilts at all pertinent to what we do here on the Keris Warung Kopi forum.
Old 24th July 2017, 04:37 AM   #18
alexish

Default Apologies

My apologies. I initially thought that this particular hilt was inspired by the Barong that was connected to Balinese culture. I did not know of the possibility of it being inspired by the Kastane sword of Ceylon, until forum members brought up this topic. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 24th July 2017, 03:24 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Alexish, no apologies are necessary. It makes perfect sense for you to have posted this hilt here. It is, after all, created and presented as a keris hilt and is indeed perfectly on topic for discussion on this forum. However, this discussion did seem to become sidetracked with debate over the origins of the kastane hilt from which it is derived and specific of a culture well outside the keris cultures we generally discuss which i do believe is rather off-topic for out discussions here.