Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th July 2014, 07:29 AM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile Dyak Weapons - Old Lithograph

I was sifting through my messy, disorganized office looking for a tax document when I found this old illustration bought at the 2013 Timonium show from a member's table. Does anyone know what publication this dropped out of?

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I was sifting through my messy, disorganized office looking for a tax document when I found this old illustration bought at the 2013 Timonium show from a member's table. Does anyone know what publication this dropped out of?[
It is a plate from the book "The Head-Hunters of Borneo" from Carl Bock.
The first publication was in 1881.
One of my favorite books, and the reprints are not expensive.

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here is a bookseller's description of the inexpensive republished paperback version:

THE HEAD-HUNTERS OF BORNEO : A Narrative of Travel Up the Mahakkam and Down the Barito : Also, Journeyings in Sumatra

Bock, Carl

Published by Oxford University Press, Singapore, 1985

17 x 26 cm.; pg. xvi, 344 ; Originally published 1881. Introduction by R. H. W. Reece, bibliography, preface, appendix, index, maps on endpapers, lists of 30 colored plates and 7 engravings. . "Despite its sensational title, Carl Bock's account of his travels in the 1870s in both Borneo and Sumatra covers much more than the well-known head-hunting pursuits of the Dayaks. Commissioned by the Dutch colonial authorities to make a journey into the little-explored districts of West Borneo, Bock proved to be a keen observer not only of the way of life of the peoples of the interior but also of their titular Malay overlords and of various aspects of colonial life. In fact [this account] was a pioneer amongst books on Borneo and its inhabitants, and although many have travelled and observed in that island since Bock's account was published, his book still holds pride of place in terms of originality and interest. Written in a clear and unpretentious style, this remarkable volume is further enhanced by a collection of extremely fine colour plates. " ISBN: 0195826299; 0195826299.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote