Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
rickystl

Default European Horse Pistol.

Well, yet another addition to my collection. I thought this was a really good looking horse pistol. Overall length is 21". Barrel length is 13 3/4" long about .58 caliber. The barrel is octagon for just the first 3" then fades to round with a central rib down the middle. Stock appears to be European walnut (?).
I'm thinking this pistol is German or Dutch maybe? It does not look French, although the side plate does resemble French pistols. The lock looks German. Maybe a Dutch pistol done in the French style? I'm thinking this pistol could even be pre-1750? There are no external markings on the pistol EXCEPT a #2 on top of the barrel breech. This usually means it is one of a pair. (Wish I knew where the other one was ).
I'll take the lock and barrel off this weekend and see if there are any marks and report back.
Meantime, here are a bunch of photos. Any opinions as to where this pistol was made and the time frame would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
rickystl

Default More Photos

More Photos.
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Rick,

The shape of the lock plate, flat and 'banana'-like curved, with a triple-fold incision behind the cock, clearly denotes a time of origin of the iron parts, including the mounts, of ca. 1730 - give or take five years.
The numeral 9 struck on the barrel is most probably an armory inventory no.

As I cannot remember seeing the carved flower ornament behind the tang on firearms before the 1780's, there is a possibility that this saddle pistol was restocked during its working life. The latter remark, however, is not exactly covered by my actual field of expertise.

The remark allowed, the item seems to be quite worn overall.

Best to Missouri,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 21st April 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:48 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Michael!! Thanks for your reply. Since my first Post I took the barrel and lock off. No marks on the inside of the lock or bottom of the barrel.
I believe 1730ish is probably a reasonable estimate. I can't detect any old repairs, but yes, it has been well used. This gun looks like it's seen alot of action. But, it's all there and displays well. Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated. Rick.

I have been away from the Forum for a while. I've been playing catch up with the wonderful Posts you made. Thanks again for doing this.
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Thanks a lot, Rick!

Best,
m
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote