Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th March 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Jawa deman hilt: Sumatra or Peninsula?

Dear members,

I've got some time ago this jawa deman hilt and I am very unsure if it is from Sumatra or from Peninsula. What do you think? Note that it don't have a carved tumpal. BTW, I never have had so much problems to get some acute pictures, like the hilt don't want to be photographed!

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 03:02 AM   #2
PenangsangII

looks very Sumatra to me... based on the wood color/texture and the silver wire works on the "buah pinang"
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
looks very Sumatra to me... based on the wood color/texture and the silver wire works on the "buah pinang"
Hello PenangsangII,

thank you for the comment! This was my feeling as well but the missing tumpal carving let me doubt. The wire work on the buah pinang seems to be common at jawa deman hilts from Peninsula too, look this example from Kei Wee:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12828

Regards,

Detlef
Old 16th March 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
BluErf

The wire weaving on the buah pinang cannot be used as an identifying feature of hilts from a location. This kind of work can be found throughout the archipelago.

I can't really tell where the hilt is from based on the pictures. It is not very familiar to me, though I'm inclined to say it is Sumatran, possibly from somewhere close to the Minang area.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I can't really tell where the hilt is from based on the pictures. It is not very familiar to me, though I'm inclined to say it is Sumatran, possibly from somewhere close to the Minang area.
Hello Kai Wee,

will try to take some pictures by daylight at the weekend. But have to agree, I also have never seen a hilt like this from Sumatra. I miss especial the sharp pronounced "ears" normally seen at jawa deman hilts from Sumatra. Nevertheless I tend as well to think it is from Sumatra.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 18th March 2011, 02:36 AM   #6
PenangsangII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
The wire weaving on the buah pinang cannot be used as an identifying feature of hilts from a location. This kind of work can be found throughout the archipelago.

Hi Blue,

Other than Sumatra, which part of the archipelago where this kind of wire works on buah pinang can be found? Certainly not in Peninsula because I never found one so far. Would it be SulSel?
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Hi Blue,

Other than Sumatra, which part of the archipelago where this kind of wire works on buah pinang can be found? Certainly not in Peninsula because I never found one so far. Would it be SulSel?
Hi Penangsang,

let me answer for Kai Wee. Please look at the link I have given in post #3, this will answer your question.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 19th March 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Sajen

I have taken some pictures by daylight (with flash together) and hope that this pictures have some more explanotory power.
Attached Images