Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Marc M.

Default Small Somali dagger?

Greetings

Bought this small dagger recent, Somali or ethiopia.
Looks like the big blade gile from the Afar. Nice blade with central rib, handle two piece horn, stucture is fibrous.Leather scabbard has shrunk a bid, oal 33cm.

Best regards
Marc
Attached Images

Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2023, 04:05 PM   #2
Changdao

Cool piece. I love this style of knife/short sword.

The blade looks very gile-like, but the workmanship in the scabbard seems more similar to Somali ones. Maybe it has an Issa origin?

Last edited by Changdao; 18th September 2023 at 09:13 PM.
Changdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 10:32 AM   #3
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changdao View Post
Cool piece. I love this style of knife/short sword.

The blade looks very gile-like, but the workmanship in the scabbard seems more similar to Somali ones. Maybe it has an Issa origin?
Hi Changdao
are one
Thanks for the reaction, Issa is possible, they are one of the main clans and live in parts of Djibouti Somalia and Ethiopia tha Afar clans are scatterd over larger area's and are sometimes neighbors.
The handle of my dagger is different than other examples i've seen so far.
Therefore the question mark.

Best regards
Marc
Old 19th September 2023, 02:27 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hi, in my opinion (however might be wrong...), regardless of the similar type of blade to the Afar/Issa knives, this is a classic Amharic dagger... The covering of the scabbard in fine leather with an embossed pattern and the type of two-colour handle would also suggest this....
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 09:04 AM   #5
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky View Post
Hi, in my opinion (however might be wrong...), regardless of the similar type of blade to the Afar/Issa knives, this is a classic Amharic dagger... The covering of the scabbard in fine leather with an embossed pattern and the type of two-colour handle would also suggest this....
Hi Martin

Thanks for the tip on amharic. I only know amharic as a language, not a tribe, but after a some reading i found the amhara people, who speak amharic.
I hope that is what you mean by amharic. Any pictures of amhara daggers?

Best regards
Marc
Old 21st September 2023, 05:56 PM   #6
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Marc,
Yes, you are right, I wrote by mistake Amharic dagger insted of Amhara dagger. I am enclosing my dagger. Years ago I was told that it comes from Bahir Dar region...
But in general, I think that it is very difficult to determine these daggers in Ethiopia, where there are dozens of ethnic groups, and, as I have convinced myself, daggers "travel" here. I bought this my dagger once in Addis Ababa in a shop and "I was only told that...". That's why I was always happy when I could get a dagger directly from its owner somewhere in the countryside, but one rarely gets that lucky....
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 09:14 AM   #7
Marc M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky View Post
Hi Marc,
Yes, you are right, I wrote by mistake Amharic dagger insted of Amhara dagger. I am enclosing my dagger. Years ago I was told that it comes from Bahir Dar region...
But in general, I think that it is very difficult to determine these daggers in Ethiopia, where there are dozens of ethnic groups, and, as I have convinced myself, daggers "travel" here. I bought this my dagger once in Addis Ababa in a shop and "I was only told that...". That's why I was always happy when I could get a dagger directly from its owner somewhere in the countryside, but one rarely gets that lucky....
Hi Martin

Agree that blades travel in Africa and create weapons in mixed styles, what makes it interesting but also difficult to pinpoint its origin.
I've never been to Africa, bought al my objects from other collectors and oneline.

Best regards
Marc