ferrylaki

Default old luk 3 keris

any comment on this keris???
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Not sure what to say other than what i said on the other thread you posted this one on (though for a more thorough discussion it is usually best to post them one at a time like you have now ). I like this keris. It is not of extraordinary quality is probably village made for a "commoner", but it has a nice presence inspite of many years of acid washing. It is, as stated before, Surakarta formal dress (ladrang), with a pendok blewah (open) and as i look more closely this time it does appear that the sheath is wrongko iras, the stem and the top sheath being made of one piece of wood. If the blade fits like a glove in the sheath and was perhaps made for the blade as opposed to being adapted from an old wrongko, i would guess that this keris was held in high esteem by it's previous owner, at least to the point that he was willing to spend the extra money on a more expensive sheath.
As for age i wouldn't dare to say, other then it is obviously old. Dating keris is always tricky even with experts (which i am not) and the keris in the hand. Dating by a photograph involves far too many unassessable factors.
This one won't win any contests, but it's a great start for any keris collection.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 11:02 PM   #3
drdavid

Hi Ferrylaki
this is as David says a nice old keris, and a good starter. Each keris has something to teach, even if it is just to start us researching a particular feature. Had your keris been freshly oiled when the photos were taken, or has someone put some varnish or similar on the area of blade closest to the hilt.
cheers
DrD
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 01:56 AM   #4
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid
Hi Ferrylaki
this is as David says a nice old keris, and a good starter. Each keris has something to teach, even if it is just to start us researching a particular feature. Had your keris been freshly oiled when the photos were taken, or has someone put some varnish or similar on the area of blade closest to the hilt.
cheers
DrD
it just been oiled... my mother did. using cendana oil.
she said there some light rust on the kris ...
this is my other better pics from a keris tilam sari...
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 03:43 AM   #5
BluErf

Oh, I see some fibres on the keris. Remnants of the cleaning rag?

Better pick those off with a pair of tweezers, or you will soon see real rust forming on the keris!

I would suggest you use a dabbing motion to clean the oil off the keris, rather than a rubbing motion, which will lodge a lot of loose fibre on the keris. While we like our kerises to smell nice, it is better to clean off the oil until it looks dry. Shiny wet oil on the keris dries up and leaves residues which causes more rust, and the worst part is that they stain the wrongko. Once the wrongko is stained by oil, you can never get the stained patch to go away. Better to note for your kerises in expensive wrongko.

Singer oil would be a good cleaning oil, after which you can apply a eeny teeny bit of scented oil.

Happy keris collecting!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 06:28 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

We all have our own favourite method of looking after our keris, and obviously they work for us, or we wouldn't pass them on.

I live in a maritime climate. I am less than fifty meters from the edge of a salt water lake, and when we get a strong southerly breeze salt spray hits the front of my house.

I have a lot of keris and other weapons that I need to try my best to maintain in excellent condition. There are keris and other weapons that I have not looked at, nor oiled in years. Truly, years. I am not speaking figuratively.

After a blade is freshly stained I spray it, or paint it with WD40. I drench the blade, and allow it to dry off overnight. I then paint it with keris oil that I make myself from about 45% cendana, 5% kenanga, and 50% medicinal parafin. I slip the wet blade into a plastic sleeve, twist the sleeve around the blade so it is tight, and place it into the wrongko. I then place the wrongko into a singap, and the singap into a chest.

I do not display keris anywhere in my house. In my private security room I have three keris that are not stored in the chests, and these are not in plastic sleeves, I might oil these keris perhaps once every six months. None of them have been stained in more than 15 years, all of them are in perfect condition.

Although I do not display keris, I do have 9 or 10 tombak around the house, some in a ploncon, some just leaning in corners. None of these blades are in plastic sleeves, all these blades are in perfect condition and they get oiled about once every six months or so.

Where I do not place a freshly oiled blade into a plastic sleeve, I strip excess oil from the blade with a toothbrush.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 01:52 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

I like using an artists paint brush to apply oil. I prefer natural fiber brushes, but if you are muslim or trying to keep traditional to Islamic area keris you would want to be sure of the type of animal used as a source for the brush. For me the brush allows me to put very controlled amounts of oil on the blade at a time and the brush caresses the blade in a way that a rag does not.
Also you will not leave fibers from the rag behind that might get snagged on sharp points of the blade. Most of my keris are on display and i tend to oil monthly.
David is offline   Reply With Quote