Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th January 2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Mercenary

Default European blades in India

I found out a notable description of English traveller in India in 1750. About Marathas's sword:
"They are so curious in the blades, that they hold the European broad swords in great contempte, especially the common-sale ones, that are sent out by our ship. When the Derby, captain Anfell, was so scandalously taken by a few of Angria's grabs (Angria was admiral of Marathas's navy), whose marines are exactly the same as the Morattoes, and often some of their subjects; there fell into Angria's hands, among a great quantity of other valuable military stores, some chests of sword blades, on examing of wich Angria said, that the English swords were onli sit to cut butter with".
From "Voyage to the East India" by J.H.Grose.

I know that some European blades were used on the cane-swords. You can see a lot of such items on the court pictures (in profile, shield, tulwar and a cane-sword in the hand). Also when a lot of old European blades were delivered to India it was more easily to use for the common swords the old cheap blades. And such situation there was until second part of 19th (IMHO).
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 12:31 PM   #2
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
I know that some European blades were used on the cane-swords. You can see a lot of such items on the court pictures (in profile, shield, tulwar and a cane-sword in the hand). Also when a lot of old European blades were delivered to India it was more easily to use for the common swords the old cheap blades. And such situation there was until second part of 19th (IMHO).
Hi, Mercenary!

What do you think about European blade Indian pata sword? I remember that they are often found.
Attached Images

mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Mercenary.. Nice example ...This is a Portuguese blade.(Del) Rey inscribed on blade at 4th picture. It is noted that the three primary reasons why they were in the Indian Ocean region was because they sought Gold and Silver, Spices and Mercenaries. In addition, they took a lot of their Mercenaries from India...as well as the likelihood of a blade transition through trade.

Interesting; what look like Dukari Moons locally applied.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 9th January 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 06:08 PM   #4
ariel

Ibrahim,

You are correct 100%. But Angria's snide remark is the only known reference to the "inferiority" of European blades. In fact, they were the object of awe and desire among the locals and there were multitudes of them on Indian weapons to the point of creation of specific classes such as "firangi" and "alemani". North Sumatran Piso Podang ( heavily influenced by Indians) got its name from the Portugese espadao. European officers bought Indian and Persian blades because of their wootz-y beauty but the natives hunted for European blades because of their quality.

Angria was just snarking out his "sour grapes" :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Ibrahim,

You are correct 100%. But Angria's snide remark is the only known reference to the "inferiority" of European blades. In fact, they were the object of awe and desire among the locals and there were multitudes of them on Indian weapons to the point of creation of specific classes such as "firangi" and "alemani". North Sumatran Piso Podang ( heavily influenced by Indians) got its name from the Portugese espadao. European officers bought Indian and Persian blades because of their wootz-y beauty but the natives hunted for European blades because of their quality.

Salaams Ariel... History is full of odd remarks and India by its very size must be teeming with them... Well noted on the Piso Podang. It rather underlines the importance of India as an Ethnographic hub and clearly it is a candidate to be treated in its own right as an Ethnographic Region. The difficulty I suppose is that many other countries weapons are reflected in and by Indian styles.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Mercenary

Quote:
All as always )))
Someone is searching through the primary sources, trying to let other people to know some new things, while someone is just looking at the old coins and get understanding of the truth immediately ))
Could you post some citations about
Quote:
In fact, they were the object of awe and desire among the locals
Not of the color albums, but of travellers' descriptions. Be so kind.
Old 9th January 2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
Hi, Mercenary!

What do you think about European blade Indian pata sword? I remember that they are often found.
I think, and I have practised with pata-sword a lot, that for such weapon (and may be for broadswords in general, I am not sure) it is no difference what kind of blade there is. But not for tulwars (sabres).

P.S. I know about 1796 for irregular cavalry ))

Last edited by Mercenary; 9th January 2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 9th January 2016, 07:12 PM   #8
ariel

Ibrahim,
You are correct again.

I am fascinated by Indian swords and collect them avidly. Their imagination and ethno-religious undertones are unsurpassing. I do not collect European weapons: IMHO, they are technologically so thoughtful and goal-oriented, that to me they are boring:-)

But my perspective is that of a collector, not a user.

If I had to choose a sword for a battle, my absolute preference would be for a European one rather than Indian. Interestingly, the Indians thought the same: they mass -produced blades with fake European markings as a sign of the highest quality. How many British swords with fake Indian markings were manufactured in England? :-)))))
Old 9th January 2016, 07:53 PM   #9
sirupate

From Swordsman in the British Empire
1.Maj. Waller Ashe (King’s Dragoon Guards) observed that most sowars or Indian cavalrymen were “far better swordsmen than our own troopers, whose cumbersome sabres, that won’t cut and cannot point, with their heavy steel scabbards, are not to be compared with the native tulwar, whose keen razor-like edge enables its owner to lop off a head or a limb as easily as cutting a cabbage. Our English regulation scabbards are heavy, difficult to clean, blunt the sword, and make such a rattle that a secret reconnaissance with them is impossible. These sowars have scabbards of solid brown leather, lined thinly with wood.” (Personal Records of the Kandahar Campaign, 1881.)
2. Col. Richard Bayly, 12th Foot: “To give an idea of the temper, sharpness, and weight of the swords of all these [Mysorean] men, I have only to mention that the barrel of one of the men’s muskets was completely cut in two by one stroke.” (Diary of Colonel Bayly, 1896.)
3. “Major Hunter, 41st Native Infantry, advanced a few paces in front of his men [during the storming of Bhurtpore in 1826] and offered him [Khoosial Singh, a Jat chief] quarter; when, with warlike fury, Khoosial Singh replied to the speaker by a terrific blow. Major Hunter put up his scabbard as a guard; but such was the stoutness of arm of the gallant Jat, so great the sharpness of his sword, that the scabbard was cut through as if it had been paper, and Major Hunter’s left arm nearly severed. Our men then rushed on Khoosial Singh, who fell pierced with innumerable bayonet wounds.” (Viscountess Combermere & Capt. W. W. Knollys, Memoirs and Correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Combermere, 1866.)
4. Regarding a mutiny of sowars or troopers of the Hyderabad Contingent Cavalry in 1827: “Lieut. Stirling, whilst making a thrust at one of the mutineers, had his sword arm cut to the bone, just above the wrist; and his arm would probably have been taken off had not Lieut. Harrington’s sword, which was cut half through by the same blow, received a great part of the weight of it; whilst he, at the same instant, ran the desperado through the body.” (Asiatic Journal, 1827.)
5. Regarding Lt. & Adjt. C. D. La Touche of the Southern Mahratta Horse: “He had a narrow escape; a matchlock was leveled directly at his face, when a ressaldar [captain] made a cut at it with his sword, severing the barrel at a blow.” (Telegraph and Courier, Dec. 9, 1857.)
6. Maj. Gen. Osborn Wilkinson, Indian Army: “One day, during the siege of Lucknow, I met my old friend [Lt. M. M.] Prendergast who unsheathed his weapon [a Wilkinson] and laughingly showed me the remains of it. It had just been cut clean in two by a slash from a native tulwar, and [Lt. T. C.] Graham’s sword [a Prosser] was broken in an encounter he had with a Pandy [mutineer]—the sword having been smashed in his hand.” (Memoirs, 1896.) 7. Among others, Ensign Augustus H. Alexander (a cavalry brigadier’s a.d.c.) noted that in the 1st Sikh War “we are no match for them in hand-to- hand work. They use their swords and manage their horses a great deal better than we do.” (New Zealand Spectator, Sept. 26, 1846.)
8. “The enemy exhibited frightful ferocity, and with their sharp tulwars (or native swords) hewed off heads and hands and arms by a single blow.” And regarding “the deficiency of our cavalry in proper weapons”, “the weight, badness of balance, and the wretched steel
of which their swords were made gave the enemy a vast superiority over them at close quarters. Like most Asiatics, the Sikhs kept their short handy swords as keen as razors— swords that sliced at every stroke; and we are told that ‘our poor fellows laboured in vain with their long, awkward, and blunt sabres to draw blood’.” (James Grant, British Battles on Land and Sea, 1889.)
9. Lt. E. J. Thackwell, 3rd Dragoons: “The tulwar has a broader back, thicker blade, and keener edge [than the British regulation sword]; and the enemy are in the habit of delivering the drawing cut, a most cutting kind of blow. That flimsy piece of steel called the regulation sword the powerful tulwar of the Sikh shivered to atoms with a blow.
10. Whilst [the leading squadron of the 3rd Dragoons under Captain] Unett was charging [at Chillianwallah in 1849], a Sikh cut at him from behind. A private dragoon, close behind his gallant leader, interposed his sword; the Sikh’s tulwar not only shivered it to pieces, but penetrating Unett’s pouch, entered his back. On several occasions, the English steel was found inferior. Moreover, the enemy were almost invulnerable from the shields, armour, and wadded clothes they wore. The men of the 9th Lancers often failed to pierce them [with their lances].” (Narrative of the Second Sikh War, 1851.) 11. “Single combats were of no unfrequent occurrence [during the battle of Chillianwallah], and in these the Sikh soldier not unfrequently had the advantage. The weapon with which he is armed has a broader back, a thicker blade, as well as a keener edge than ours, and affords him a signal advantage. The gashes inflicted by the tulwar, beneath the stroke of which our steel was shivered to splinters, were frightful.” (E. J. Thackwell, “Confessions of an Old Dragoon,” Colburn’s United Service Magazine, 1854.)
12. John Ship fighting a Gorkha Sobar
With this I was obliged to act on the defensive, till I could catch my formidable opponent off his guard. He cut, I guarded; he thrust, I parried; until he became aggravated and set to work with that impetuosity and determination pretty generally understood by the phrase ‘hammer and tongs’; in the course of which he nearly cut my poor twenty-fourther in pieces.
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
From Swordsman in the British Empire
Million thanks! And it is only the small part of citations from this excellent book.
But I still believe in the decency of some participants and look forward to seeing some citations:
Ariel, could you post some citations about
Quote:
In fact, they were the object of awe and desire among the locals

Last edited by Mercenary; 9th January 2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 9th January 2016, 08:43 PM   #11
mahratt

Mercenary, Ariel just did not see your post.

I can not believe that Ariel has no citations in support of what he says in this thread ...
Old 9th January 2016, 08:56 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

One of the reasons we initiated the European forum in 2008 is because of the very fact that so many European blades are found mounted in ethnographic context, and India was profoundly one of these.
We opened that forum in order not only to discuss European arms and armor themselves but to become a cross reference to the many weapons cross diffused.

As far as I know, that quote noted from 1750 by Grose (it seems it was in Pant where it is cited) is indeed the only detrimental reference to the European or particularly English blades. Elgood notes the profusion of blades from Europe which flowed in India in the 17th and 18th c. (Hindu Arms and Ritual). The Mahrattas were pronounced traders who brought in European blades in propensity, hence the development of the basket hilt on the traditional khanda and the noted term 'firangi' loosely used in variation in a number of languages to refer to foreign blades.

While the English blades may have been less than favored in the Deccan southward and in the Malabar and Mahratta regions, in the northwest there was a distinct favor for the M1796 light cavalry blade. In the many narratives noting the horrific results of attacks with native tulwars (in Sirupates post inclusive) I recall comments from Capt. Lewis Nolan ('Charge of the Light Brigade fame who had served in India) who stated the same comments about the dreadful effectiveness of the native warriors' and their use of their tulwars.
He then described how horrified the British were when they discovered that the blades in these very tulwars were their own discarded M1796 cavalry sabre blades!
Apparantly the secret was that these warriors constantly sharpened their blades to razor sharpness then carried them constantly oiled and cared for in wooden scabbards (contrary to the dulling iron of British regulation patterns).

The British M1796 light cavalry blades remained in favor of many of the native cavalry units into the 1930s (I have seen and handled a number of these) and versions of these were produced into the 1880s and later specifically in England for these units.

I have seen many Indian tulwars with British blades of Osborn and other M1796 makers, and have an Indian tulwar with a M1788 blade (an exception to the 1796s). The later British blades were not as favored, however many of the M1853 pattern swords found use in Indian units.

Getting back to the western regions and Mahrattas as well as Malabar trade. Many blades from the 'Red Sea' trade carrying mostly German blades but naturally others which became mingled from Italy and others certainly entered these regions. That they were much favored is combined with the fact the the 'Alemani' (=German) swords were much present with the mercenary forces of Europe in the Deccan. Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sahib used these forces constantly as well as their weapons.
Tipu had an 'ANDREA FERARA' bladed sword which he much favored.

The pata shown at the top in post #2 does indeed have a Sudanese kaskara blade (I have had with similar blade for many years) and have not yet found evidence that these 'dukari' (moons) are ever placed on European blades in this parallel fashion. Therefore it seems curious to see movement of these blades OUT of the North African sphere.

Indian makers who produced blades directly in imitation of European blades often applied copying of the inscriptions and markings to represent the quality of the European blades imbued into their own.

I have never been focused on one field of study and have always followed ethnographic as well as European , and the profound connections and mystery in all combined has been constant fascination in all counts!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Jens Nordlunde

Sirupate,
Thank you very much for your quotes - they are very interesting.
They are very interesting, and shows that even quite late in history the Indian blades could fully compare to the European blades.
Quite early the English writers started to tell that the Indian blades could not compare to the European blades, and it may have been so in some cases, but far from in all cases.
European marks were used a lot on Indian weapons, but this does not mean that the Indian blades were of a lesser quality.
I too have a number of Indian blades with European markings, but as far as I can judge of a very high quality.

Jim, You have seen pictures of some of my swords, and know that they have European markings, although they are TrueIndian, and of a very high quality as well.
I think good and bad quality of blades were made in most countries. Many exporting countries saw no reason why they should export high quality blades, when other blades sold, till they did not sell any more, so I find it wrong to say, that the European blades were of a higher quality than the Indian ones. True that the metal scabbards did not help the Euorpeans.
Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 9th January 2016 at 09:19 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Mercenary

Jim, many thanks!
But I prefer links:
Pattern 1821 Indian Army Officer's Sword used by Brigadier-General Sir Henry Lawrence, 1855 (c).

Like many officers who served in India, Lawrence preferred an Indian blade for his sword. These blades, which were more curved than the British pattern, were better suited to the kind of combat encountered in India. This particular sword has a typical Indian blade similar to those used on the native tulwars, while retaining the regulation three-bar hilt.
http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...c=1988-08-29-1
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2016, 09:21 PM   #15
Mercenary

This sword belonged to General Sir John Hearsey (1793-1865). He carried it as a junior officer in 1817 while capturing a Pindari battery at Seetabuldee near Nagpur during the 3rd Maratha War (1816-1819). Hearsey later commanded the Dinapore Division and was in that post in March 1857 when the 34th Bengal Native Infantry revolted at Barrackpore at the start of the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859).
http://victoriansword.tumblr.com/pos...rd-belonged-to
Attached Images

Old 10th January 2016, 01:12 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually what I was trying to say was not that the British blades were superior to Indian blades, but that many of these M1796 blades found their way into Indian hands. The rest of the story had nothing to do with the quality of the British blades....but the care in maintaining them. In a further quote it was stated, the British troops learned the importance of SHARP swords.

Ironically, the British swords throughout the 19th century were constantly maligned for their poor quality and complaints from troops using them. In the latter 18th into the 19th this was the reason for the so called sword scandals in England with makers like John Gill, Henry Osborn, and others contesting the favor shown to German blades.

Actually I have never known of any such complaints against Indian blades, quite the contrary. While the Indians copied many foreign blade styles it does seem curious that they often used spurious European marks which have always been thought of as quality symbols. These blades were significantly of quality on their own merit.

The use of high quality wootz and other Indian blades were of course confined to officers who had carte blanche on their weapons, while rank and file accepted issued arms of regulation form.

I think what I was trying to address here was the mistaken notion that European blades were regarded derisively by Indians, and that actually European blades were often dispersed considerably among those in many regions in India. In my opinion, it had nothing to do with quality as much as pure availability. In the case of an abundance of blades coming in from abroad it does seem they would be used if others were not readily available or not yet produced.

In the situation with native military units in the British Raj, the units were each permitted to choose the weapons (within regulation parameters) which were of British pattern swords. In many cases the Indian troopers preferred their traditional tulwars, and I have seen a number produced, in Indian fashion, by Mole of Birmingham. Again, nothing to do with quality, it had to do with regulation and military control.

There is also the perspective of novelty or simple emulation between cultures. The British officers adopted Indian fashions in their uniforms, so the adoption of native weapons is quite understood. With Indian warriors, blades taken as trophies were certainly among those remounted, and this was quite possibly the case I referred to in remarks by Nolan.

There are far too many variables and situations to categorically specify that Indians disliked European blades, it is stated too broadly. What I wanted to point out is that instances regarding these blades need to be considered based on the merits of the circumstances at hand.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th January 2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10th January 2016, 02:58 AM   #17
ariel

As regard to the relative quality of Indian vs. British swords, one needs to remember that Indian swords were very heterogeneous: from superb quality to a very poor one. Even now we regularly see native blades of poor temper, haphazardous fullers, forging flaws and patches of burnt steel. Those were the weapons of the rank and file, whereas the high stratum enjoyed superb wootz, elegant decorations and tons of rubies on the handle (BTW, making holding them rather uncomfortable). Those were stored in special rooms and never were bared in anger. This is why we see quantities of them in the museums.
In contrast, industrial production of British swords was aimed at (and actually achieved) complete uniformity, solid quality and reliability. They were used without modifications by everybody.

Perhaps, this was why Indians wanted to have European blades and put fake markings on locally-made ones: the owner might not have an Assadulla, but would certainly have gotten ( or hoped to get) no lemon:-)

In might be amusing to know whether horrifying damages inflicted by the Indians on the Brits ( see references by Sirupate) were not in fact made by the old and retired 1796 blades, sharpened properly and struck hard, as conveyed by poor Lew Nolan :-)

Last edited by ariel; 10th January 2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10th January 2016, 04:05 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

"...Nolan was particularly interested in Nizams Irregular Horse. He had recently read a medical report of an engagement in which these troops had defeated a superior force of Rohillas and had been astonished by the havoc created by their swords.: heads and arm completely severed, hands cut off at a single blow, and legs above the knee. Was this the work of giants? or of some peculiar quality of the sword blade or its use? The answer surprised him. THE SWORDS TURNED OUT TO BE MERELY OLD BLADES, DISCARDED BY BRITISH DRAGOONS, cut to a razor edge and worn in wooden scabbards from which they were never drawn except in action. But Nolan may have given insufficient credit to these broad, curved spear point * blades the light cavalry sword of 1796. He inquired to the secret of the cavalrymans skill and was struck by the simplicity of the reply.
We never teach them any way sir, a sharp sword will cut in anyone's hand, said one of Nizams seasoned troopers, The lesson of a sharp sword was one that Nolan never forgot".

"Nolan Of Balaclava"
H. Moyse-Bartlett, London 1971 , p.121

* naturally the author is in error re: spear points.....these were referred to as 'hatchet points'.
Old 10th January 2016, 09:21 AM   #19
mahratt

Quote:
In might be amusing to know whether horrifying damages inflicted by the Indians on the Brits ( see references by Sirupate) were not in fact made by the old and retired 1796 blades, sharpened properly and struck hard, as conveyed by poor Lew Nolan :-)
Ariel, your own thinking - it's great! But perhaps you have other than your words have evidence? For example, citations from the books?
Because those who saw how the Indians used Talwar wrote the following:
«An effective thrust is much more easier learnt that drawing cut which makes the tulwar such a terribly effective weapon in the hand of the expert swordsman». The Earl of Cardigan The Cavalry of the Territorial Army, The Nineteenth Century and After, 1908.

And there are no words about the sabers of the model 1796

I'm sorry my bad english
Old 10th January 2016, 10:34 AM   #20
Helleri

I thought Indian Crucible steel was tougher then many Euro Steels? wasn't that why it was being sent to England around 1795 for metallurgical analysis?
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 02:18 PM   #21
sirupate

An interesting point Mahratt, but in the case of John Ship he was using a 1796 Light Cavalry sabre which according to Ship the Gorkha Chieftain with his Tulwar; 'he nearly cut my poor twenty-fourther in pieces'
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 03:02 PM   #22
Pukka Bundook

I think Jim has it summed up pretty well.

The English swords were consistent, not as good as the best tulwar maybe, but much better than the worst! Therefore an object of desire for the lower Indian ranks who would otherwise be possibly stuck with one of the latter.
The exception was the 1796, as mentioned above, and a great favourite everywhere.

The key was the blade being Sharp though, as mentioned numerous times above, And the fact that a blade with more curve will slice better, particularly if the 'target' is festooned in multiple layers of cloth.

Much first -hand material could be added to Sirupate' interesting list, if we referenced the book "Sahib".
Time after time we see references to the native tulwar chopping off arms and legs at a blow, as well as slicing clean through a torso at one stroke.
These blows were sometimes described as delivered "with a hissing sound" ......in other words, the sword wielder was giving it all he had.(And That will also make a difference in how effective a cut is!!)

One more point re. how effective a sword may be, is the amount of training or use the individual has had. A person who has grown up wielding one will be more comfortable (and better) with it than a man trained in later years.

We know how the steel scabbard dulls the blade, but sometimes even tulwars in their wooden sheathes were worn "sharp side up" so as to keep the cutting edge as keen as possible.

It may be that though the English blades in the O.P. "would not cut butter", this problem could have been rectified easily with a good sharpening.
My own pocket knife can get dull at times. :-)
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 03:33 PM   #23
ariel

Yes. That's why I mentioned hard strike together with sharp blade. With these two conditions one can get lucky even if the sword is garage-made:-)

1796 was heavy, not as fast as shashka, but the steel quality was excellent and in the hands of a burly English lad it beat the hell out of every other sharp and pointy thing. This is why it was adopted ( with minor cosmetic modifications) by so many other armies. Kind of AK-47 of the 19th century:-)
Old 10th January 2016, 04:01 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
I think Jim has it summed up pretty well.

The English swords were consistent, not as good as the best tulwar maybe, but much better than the worst! Therefore an object of desire for the lower Indian ranks who would otherwise be possibly stuck with one of the latter.
The exception was the 1796, as mentioned above, and a great favourite everywhere.

The key was the blade being Sharp though, as mentioned numerous times above, And the fact that a blade with more curve will slice better, particularly if the 'target' is festooned in multiple layers of cloth.

Much first -hand material could be added to Sirupate' interesting list, if we referenced the book "Sahib".
Time after time we see references to the native tulwar chopping off arms and legs at a blow, as well as slicing clean through a torso at one stroke.
These blows were sometimes described as delivered "with a hissing sound" ......in other words, the sword wielder was giving it all he had.(And That will also make a difference in how effective a cut is!!)

One more point re. how effective a sword may be, is the amount of training or use the individual has had. A person who has grown up wielding one will be more comfortable (and better) with it than a man trained in later years.

We know how the steel scabbard dulls the blade, but sometimes even tulwars in their wooden sheathes were worn "sharp side up" so as to keep the cutting edge as keen as possible.

It may be that though the English blades in the O.P. "would not cut butter", this problem could have been rectified easily with a good sharpening.
My own pocket knife can get dull at times. :-)

Richard, thank you so much for the kind note....and especially for reading my post!!! which indeed cites from a book. Your supportive comments are spot on!
Old 10th January 2016, 04:05 PM   #25
Mercenary

I just wanted to know were there any mentions of the fact that the Indians valued European blades in general . As I understand it now, we do not have any references at all.
The links that prove the opposite opinion I posted above.
Old 10th January 2016, 05:01 PM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
I just wanted to know were there any mentions of the fact that the Indians valued European blades in general . As I understand it now, we do not have any references at all.
The links that prove the opposite opinion I posted above.
I am unclear on this. You are looking for specific quotations which state that the Indians favored European blades?

With the General's sword of 1821 ('Gothic' hilt or three bar)you posted with the Indian blade.....it is quite understandable that he would prefer an Indian blade as this particular pattern was quite plagued with complaints. In Brian Robson's "Swords of the British Army" (1975) this dilemma is summed up describing their use in the Crimean war where blades bent or broke, and were generally inadequate. This was partly why the '1821' patterns' production was interrupted by around 1823 and did not resume until 1829.

With this reputation, and the fact that officers had more leeway in their choice of weapons, the General no doubt favored the Indian made blades over the questionable British ones...the rank and file had no choice.

As far as Indians 'favoring' or extolling the virtues of 'European' blades, I feel sure we can probably find a quote somewhere where this expressed verbatim, however the evidence of constant use of European blades would seem to suggest that they used them considerably..like them or not.

I think in Pant ("Indian Arms and Armor') it decribes Tipu Sahib as being quite fond of his 'ANDREA FERARA' sword, and with the German blades used these were termed 'Alemani' and again quite favored in Deccani context.
With the Mahratta, the adoption of the basket hilt form from Europeans to their traditional khanda and the use of European blades seem to have virtually cemented the term 'firangi' in place with the preponderance of these swords extant. So the swords known as 'alemani' and 'firangi', both representing foreign or European bladed swords seems prevalent......thus implying that the Indian's probably were 'OK' with European blades.

As for an exact quote to support this demonstrative evidence, it may take some time but perhaps can be found somewhere.......maybe in an ad in Indian media of the time merchandizing European blades
Old 10th January 2016, 05:06 PM   #27
ariel

Jim,
Not to forget that Henry Lawrence was born in Ceylon, spent virtually all his life in India ( with the exception of a short stint in England) and even died at the siege of Lucknow.

His allegiance was impeccably British, but a sentiment toward all things Indian was very strong.
Old 10th January 2016, 05:12 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Jim,
Not to forget that Henry Lawrence was born in Ceylon, spent virtually all his life in India ( with the exception of a short stint in England) and even died at the siege of Lucknow.

His allegiance was impeccably British, but a sentiment toward all things Indian was very strong.

Good point! Still interesting that he used a British hilt when officers had a choice. In some cases I have seen British blades with Hindu basket hilts
It is hard to use these personal preferences to support broader sentiments, but as always, most interesting.
Old 10th January 2016, 05:38 PM   #29
Mercenary

Dear Jim

Many thanks for so many information and your opinion.
But there is a bit difference between "using" European blades and "preference" ones.
My car is "Honda" but I prefer "Bentley". The fact that I am using "Honda" can tell us about what? I have not enough money, and only ))))))
Old 10th January 2016, 05:53 PM   #30
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well made point Mercenary, and very good analogy.
I'd like to have a Ferrari but I drive an older jeep

As you say, the Indians certainly used European blades significantly, but probably did so out of convenience in most cases. I most cases trade blades were conveniently available but probably they preferred their own blades as a rule as they knew well what quality they put into them. It still does seem interesting that they used European markings to their own blades though.
Why, if they had such high regard for their own blades, would they add spurious European marks and inscriptions to imply 'quality' ?