Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th March 2005, 08:06 PM   #1
BSer

Default Indo-Persian Weapons? (pics)

I recently came into possesion of 3 items that have been in my parents house since i can remember. they got them from my grandfather when he passed away (many, many years ago). the items consist of a helmet, a knife (if it can be called that) and a sword.

after some research online, i believe they are indo-persian items, possibly 17th/18th century, but i have no idea how accurate that is. I also believe that the sword is called a talwar. other than that, no ideas.

they are in pretty good condition, at least i think so. and are just darn awesome looking.

anyway, on to the pics...and i apologize for the quality. took them on my way out the door today and there wasn't the best light.

The Helmet

closeup of the helmet

the knife

hilt of the knife - has writing i dont comprehend

the sword

artwork towards the tip

artwork towards the middle

hilt of the sword

thanks for any information that you guys can provide!

-BSer
BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Argentd

Remarkable, if these are authentic, they look to be Hamash Malkar swords from the late 15th century. For the love of god, tell me you're not handling these beauties with your bare hands!

These look to be authentic weapons used by the Janissary Corps of Sultan Salim I.

With any luck, Marcus already has the grail.
Argentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 08:52 PM   #3
BSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentd
Remarkable, if these are authentic, they look to be Hamash Malkar swords from the late 15th century. For the love of god, tell me you're not handling these beauties with your bare hands!

These look to be authentic weapons used by the Janissary Corps of Sultan Salim I.

unfortunately, i really know nothing about handling these items in the safest manner. or if the method of display now is damaging them or not. been like this for at least 25+ years. what is the recommended way of handling/displaying such items?

time to do some reading on the things you mentioned. thanks!

-BSer
Old 8th March 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Hi BSer,

When you get tired of reading, please give us a LOT of pictures, details too - please.
This looks interesting.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Andrew

BSer, interesting photos, and interesting username.

If you're looking for tips on conservation and storage, try the search function, as this has been discussed before.

As Jens notes, better photos will assist meaningful discussion of these items.

Welcome to the forum.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 10:58 PM   #6
BSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
BSer, interesting photos, and interesting username.

If you're looking for tips on conservation and storage, try the search function, as this has been discussed before.

As Jens notes, better photos will assist meaningful discussion of these items.

Welcome to the forum.
thanks and i shall do some searching on the forums as far as handling/storage.

i will try to take some better/closer pics tonight when i get off work. hopefully i will be able to get some more up here tomorrow.

Username is my high school nickname (based off my initials).

-BSer
Old 8th March 2005, 11:23 PM   #7
erlikhan

The helmet is from Iran , 18th c. or earlier, and the style and patination of the gold work look authentic,but the screws holding the nasal bar seem suspicious. I dont think such screws were used in that age. They should be rivets instead. Not?
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Andrew

Quote:

And welcome to the forum to you, as well, Argentd.

What about these items makes you think they would date to the 15th cenrury, or have been used by Janissaries under Sultan Salim I?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 01:20 AM   #9
ariel

Quote:

Whoa, whoa!
It is a custom here to support such statements with the data!
Please explain,:
1.What (who?) is Hamash Malkar?
2. Why would Janissaries who were Ottoman (!) soldiers wear a typical Persian helmet and carry what appears to be a Nepalese sacrificial Ram Dao with a late Persian handle and an Indo-Persian hunting Shamshir Shikargar with koftgari-ed instead of incised hunting scenes?
3. Which Sultan Selim do you refer to? Selim I (the Grim) or Selim II (the Drunk)? Both reigned in the 16th century.
I have a strong suspicion that the already voiced opinion of these items being 19th century Orientalist bazaar pieces is correct.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote