Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #31
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
I can't emphasize enough how the BangsaMoro frown on edge-to-edge contact. They regard their blades not only as weapons but as cultural artifacts of the highest order; if I remember correctly, my MFA instructor even said that direct blade work / non-blocking / non-blade-to-blade contact was ingrained to them as deeply as their aversion to pork.
Hi Xas,

I am sure that you are correct. But what will happen when a Moro have to fight against a man from an other culture? Before someone will get hidden from a blade to his body he will block the blow with his blade, I would do without any question, equal what I've learned!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2019, 04:48 PM   #32
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Xas,

I am sure that you are correct. But what will happen when a Moro have to fight against a man from an other culture? Before someone will get hidden from a blade to his body he will block the blow with his blade, I would do without any question, equal what I've learned!
Hi Detlef,

Not sure about that, as there are no weapon blocks in the MFA styles I've seen and heard of. The only allowable blocks I know of are arm, scabbard, and shield. Regarding fighting, I was trained not to approach enemies on a straight line of attack...that's why it's not likely that the Moro would need to block an opponent's blow. They go beyond the center line, under the opponent's attack, or are suddenly out of reach due to positioning.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 10:57 AM   #33
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Hi Detlef,

Not sure about that, as there are no weapon blocks in the MFA styles I've seen and heard of. The only allowable blocks I know of are arm, scabbard, and shield. Regarding fighting, I was trained not to approach enemies on a straight line of attack...that's why it's not likely that the Moro would need to block an opponent's blow. They go beyond the center line, under the opponent's attack, or are suddenly out of reach due to positioning.
Hi Xas,

I don't want to say that MFA is nonsense but I really doubt that in a real battle man against man where it going about life or death it will be possible to avoid blade to blade contact. And the before shown kris with several nicks in the edges isn't the only one I own with nicks, several other Moro blades I own show these nicks in the edges and I really doubt that this coming from children who have "played" with it or that it coming from transport with other blades nor that them get used before from other tribes.
A blade is used primarily to kill or injure the combatant and the fighters will do everything not to get killed or injured and I strongly doubt that a blade to blade contact is to avoid in this case, just my humble opinion.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 1st April 2019, 03:39 PM   #34
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Xas,

I don't want to say that MFA is nonsense but I really doubt that in a real battle man against man where it going about life or death it will be possible to avoid blade to blade contact. And the before shown kris with several nicks in the edges isn't the only one I own with nicks, several other Moro blades I own show these nicks in the edges and I really doubt that this coming from children who have "played" with it or that it coming from transport with other blades nor that them get used before from other tribes.
A blade is used primarily to kill or injure the combatant and the fighters will do everything not to get killed or injured and I strongly doubt that a blade to blade contact is to avoid in this case, just my humble opinion.

Regards,
Detlef
In answer to one of your questions. Training and practice is how edge on edge was avoided. In battle, flow takes over so you do what you are trained to do. Comes down to; Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. As to weapon on weapon contact, sure happened all the time. However if you where parrying and attack, you took the edge on the flat of your bald NOT the edge. If you think about it, it makes sense, you do not damage your weapon and you are immediately set up for a counter attack. You will find this in just about every culture that used edged weapons in real combat. In regards to the arts coming out of the Philippines, they are the closest arts to real warring arts you will find (depending of course if the instructor is willing to teach you) that you will find. Just about everything else is watered down.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 08:31 PM   #35
Sajen

Hello Mike,

Please let me answer later, I've had a very stressful day and lost one of my loved cats this morning.

Regards,
Detlef