Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th January 2008, 01:00 AM   #151
ariel

I guess this is the first movie of the "marital bliss" for the leading couple.
Must be visually impressive; I just hope neither of them starts belting a song and a dance in the middle of a fighting sequence.
I guess that is what Indian audience demands, but if Bollywood wants to go international, they will have to get rid of this annoyance. Can you imagine Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton taking a break from slaughtering the Nazis in the middle of "Where Eagles Landed" and doing a love duet?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 01:05 AM   #152
Emanuel

Check out the trailer on the website. I heard choruses in the background but those were probably just the trailer's score. I got the impression that the movie was pretty serious.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 01:18 AM   #153
ariel

Hope you are right: I'll be the first one to Netflick it!
Say whatever you want, but, quoting Roger Ebers, Aishwariya Rai is not only the most beautiful woman in the world, but the second most beautiful as well.

Last edited by ariel; 29th January 2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 29th January 2008, 02:07 AM   #154
Jeff D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Can you imagine Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton taking a break from slaughtering the Nazis in the middle of "Where Eagles Landed" and doing a love duet?
I thought they were just good friends!!!

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 10:57 PM   #155
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I guess this is the first movie of the "marital bliss" for the leading couple. Must be visually impressive; I just hope neither of them starts belting a song and a dance in the middle of a fighting sequence.
I...er...saw the movie....yup they do the love duet. At least it's not in the fight sequences, which are quite weak. The fighting is poorly choreographed, lots of edge on edge sparing and western fencing, nothing remotely similar to gatka. The tulwars SUCK, they've got huge handles fit for the Governator, no other kinds of weapons - with the exception of one very quick shot of a jamadhar.
Basically it's one big love story, with lots of time spent in character development. Big dance and song sequences, although to be fair they're integrated in court festivities, not just popping out of the blue, and the tunes are energetic and catchy.
Pretty movie with a nice picture of Mughal and Rajput culture and art, and yes, a very beautiful Rai. Bad movie for weapons and battles.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 10:36 AM   #156
HangPC2

The Queen Of Langkasuka (2008)

HangPC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 02:39 PM   #157
David
Keris forum moderator

Here's a trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ujKr-Y0Wz8
Says at the end that there will be a "worldwide release" so i hope that there will be an English subtitled version. Looks interesting and fun.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 06:37 PM   #158
ariel

Very agricultural: 75 dead bodies per acre.
Looks good! Keep us informed about its availability.
Old 21st February 2008, 07:35 PM   #159
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

JET LEE'S FEARLESS IS SUPPOSIDLY ABOUT CHINAS GREATEST WUSHU MASTER. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH IS BASED ON HISTORY AND FACT BUT I DID LIKE THE MOVIE AND THERE WERE SOME GOOD FIGHT SECQENCES SOME WITH WEAPONS. THE FIGHT SCENES ARE SUPERHUMAN AS USUAL BUT NO FLYING OVER HOUSES, RUNNING ON WATER AND FIGHTING ON BAMBOO FRONDS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:48 AM   #160
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangPC2

Looks Malay.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:08 PM   #161
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Looks Malay.
I believe it is Bill. Langkasuka was a kingdom which later became Pattani.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langkasuka
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:14 PM   #162
blacklacrau

Default Sandokan

Do u remenber Sandokan "The tiger of Mompracen" from Emilio Salgari ??
A story in borneo...

Lots of kris, parangs, daos...dayaks!
Attached Images

blacklacrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:44 AM   #164
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I JUST WATCHED AN INDIA FILM (THE TIGER AND THE FLAME) IT IS SAID TO HAVE BEEN INDIAS FIRST CINIMASCOPE FILM AND IS ONE OF THE EPICS WITH A CAST OF THOUSANDS. VERY COLORFUL WITH PALACES,ELEPHANTS, DANCING GIRLS, CANNONS AND BATTLES, IT IS AVAILABLE ON DVD. THE STORY IS OF A QUEEN WHO TRYS TO FREE HER COUNTRY FROM THE BRITISH EAST INDIA COMPANY.

A STRANGE BLACK AND WHITE FILM THAT IS ALMOST OPERATIC IS (ALEXANDER NEVSKY)MADE IN RUSSIA IN 1938 IT DEALS WITH THE RUSSIANS FIGHTING THE GERMANS DURING THE DAYS OF SWORDS AND ARMOR.

THE MOVIE (PATHFINDER) WAS MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY , THE RECENT VERSION WAS BASED ON A PREVIOUS (PATHFINDER). THE ORIGINAL IS MUCH CLOSER TO FACTS AND A MUCH BETTER STORY AS WELL. IT IS ALSO OLDER AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IN BLACK AND WHITE. I AM NOT SURE WHERE THE STORY COMES FROM ORIGINALLY BUT THE TRIBAL PEOPLE REMINDED ME OF LAPPS AND THEY DID HAVE REINDEER.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 01:54 AM   #165
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Yet Again !!

Hahahaha !!!
Back from the dead ....

Warner Herzog's

Aguirre (Wrath of God) .
Klaus Kinski stars .

Seriously good IMHO .

Now back to watching the DVD .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 12:48 PM   #166
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Hahahaha !!!
Back from the dead ....

Warner Herzog's

Aguirre (Wrath of God) .
Klaus Kinski stars .

Seriously good IMHO .

Now back to watching the DVD .

Rick
Ah Yes, Werner Herzog's Aguirre, The Wrath of God has been on my top 10 list for many years. Klaus is just terrific in that role...and i believe that's his actually daughter, Nastasha, playing his daughter in the film. This is really a must see, not so much for the weapons, but just because it is great film making. The ending will haunt you forever.
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2008, 02:46 PM   #167
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ah Yes, Werner Herzog's Aguirre, The Wrath of God has been on my top 10 list for many years. Klaus is just terrific in that role...and i believe that's his actually daughter, Nastasha, playing his daughter in the film. This is really a must see, not so much for the weapons, but just because it is great film making. The ending will haunt you forever.
So will the beginning ..........

That film had to be a logistical nightmare to make 30 odd years ago .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 09:11 PM   #168
Spunjer

here an interesting one coming up:

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archive...2_trailer.html

Ong Bak 2. freakin tony jaa is the fo'shizzle!!!

can't wait for this one
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 12:43 AM   #169
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
here an interesting one coming up:

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archive...2_trailer.html

Ong Bak 2. freakin tony jaa is the fo'shizzle!!!

can't wait for this one
Nice!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 04:14 AM   #170
migueldiaz

has braveheart been mentioned already?

earlier, bill posted an article on wallace's 6-pound and 5-foot sword leaving scotland for the first time.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:58 AM   #171
migueldiaz

I'd also highly recommend "Hero", an epic Chinese story.

The cinematography is superb, the sword fights are excellent, and the story that is full of twists and turns is very engaging.
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2008, 11:17 AM   #172
kronckew

having been reading the kampilan thread ala bill marsh with interest, i happened to see Hollywood's 'thief of Baghdad' with Sabu, over the weekend.

there is a point where he opens a bottle, gets the traditional genie & three wishes, he then gets flown to the top of the tallest peak in the top of the world to steal the 'all-seeing eye' from a temple idol.

after arrival, he liberates a sword from a long dead skeleton, all covered in cob-webs ('conan' plagiarism?) as he cleaned off the web, it becomes obvious it's a kampilan, complete with traditional hilt wound in rattan, sinuous metal staple on one side, crocodile beak blade, etc. he then climbs the idol, and a giant spiders web with the kampilan between his teeth, kills the giant spider & unfortunately drops the sword never to be seen again....

there of course were the more common shamshir and daggers throughout.

not bad for a sixty-odd year old movie.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:35 PM   #173
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
... having been reading the kampilan thread ala bill marsh with interest, i happened to see Hollywood's 'thief of Baghdad' with Sabu, over the weekend ... after arrival, he liberates a sword from a long dead skeleton, all covered in cob-webs ('conan' plagiarism?) as he cleaned off the web, it becomes obvious it's a kampilan, complete with traditional hilt wound in rattan, sinuous metal staple on one side, crocodile beak blade, etc.
Thanks Kronckew.

Being a Filipino that is struck with kampilan-philia, I need to see that movie!

Also, the kampilan's appearance in that movie was mentioned earlier --
ruel
Senior Member posted 06-25-2004 04:48

Thief of Bagdad (1949): Kampilan, tachi, firangi, yataghan. Don't believe me? Go ahead, watch it...

---

tom hyle
Senior Member posted 06-25-2004 09:10

... Theif of Baghdad seems to feature some "real" weapons ... "Theif" contains one of the instances of holding a kampilan backward, which seems like it'd be obvious with a real sword ...
Thanks again Kronckew

Last edited by migueldiaz; 1st November 2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:52 PM   #174
kronckew

i shall assume they got the date wrong then and they referred to the sabu version, as the sabu version was apparently 1940. , ruel's 1949 date of their post (and tom's spelling of thief) threw me off - there have been a number of versions

while sabu carried the kampilan upside down for a while (edge up), when he was actually using it, cutting at the spider, and later when he cut it's suspension thread, he held it correctly, striking with the edge, not the back of the blade, i looked carefully he also carried it in his mouth edge out as he apparently didn't want to cut himself

the kampilan in the movie was similar to the above, which is edge down, and the angled fork of the grip up when held, tho some kampilans in modern repos have the angled fork also down, as below.

(images from google image search)

Last edited by kronckew; 1st November 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:05 PM   #175
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew

the kampilan in the movie was similar to the above, which is edge down, and the angled fork of the grip up when held, tho some kampilans in modern repos have the angled fork also down, as below.
thanks kronckew!

in the meantime that i haven't seen the movie yet, i was wondering what type it was they used. so thanks for posting the above image.

regards.
Old 14th January 2009, 02:03 AM   #176
Bill M

Mongol (2007)

WOW! Swords, spears, shields. Wonderful movie!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 06:05 PM   #177
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
I'd also highly recommend "Hero", an epic Chinese story.

The cinematography is superb, the sword fights are excellent, and the story that is full of twists and turns is very engaging.
Miguel. this was has been mentioned before as well, but thanks for posting all the photos.
I absolute LOVE this film, own it and have watched it many times.
Also mentioned before (but if you like Hero), by the same director Zhang Yimou, see House of Flying Daggers. I like this one even better.
Old 4th September 2009, 08:50 AM   #178
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangPC2

One thing that came to mind immediately when I saw the trailer for this was how there were a lot of malay/indonesian Keris daggers in the beginning of the trailer, and at the end we see stuntman-turned-leading actor Dan Chupong wielding a Moro or Bruneian-type kris sword.

was that just me or was he just holding a big keris as opposed to a kris?

Here is a pic featuring Dan Chupong in the centre, holding the weapon in question with his outstretched arm:

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 4th September 2009 at 09:05 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 08:24 PM   #179
kronckew

was intrigued by the movie trailer, so i found a copy of the dvd with english subtitles, just finished watching it. not only were there lots of keris, but there were in fact many moro kris, complete with kakatua grips, horses hoof grips, baca-baca and all. the blade the head army guy used had an ivory kakatua grip, and a distinct central ridge. there were also quite a number of dyak swords amoungst the pirates, and even one interesting axe. looked like copper breastplates, some bronze spears and quite a few flintlocks. they even worked in leonardo style hang gliders, a neat form of chain shot and even some ninjas. japanese armour, plate suits, and a few more items of interest here. even the dragon mouthed cannon... most of the edged weapons looked like the real thing, at least in the quick glimpses. i think they must have had acess to a museum or an old armoury somewhere.

all in all a quite good film. you do need to get it with your languages subtitles if you do not speak the language.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:33 PM   #180
KuKulzA28

Definitely adding "The Queens of Lang-Kasuka" to my TO SEE list!

anyone heard of Seediq Bale? It is a Taiwanese film supposed to come out this fall - last I heard. It is about the Wushe Rebellion, the Atayal Seediq's last attempt to free themselves of Japanese rule... though the warriors carrying out the mgaga with their laraw must have know the futility of facing thousands of modern soldiers, planes, and artillery with their spears, guns, bows, and swords.

youtube trailer of Seediq Bale
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote