Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th April 2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Sajen

Default My new Moro kris

I just win this kris by e-bay. What do you think about? I will have some work with it, have to clean the blade from the unknown coat and also the sheat need some restore work. Would you wash the attached fabric?

Here the link from the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And the pictures from the seller.

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Sort of looks Maguindanao. A fighting piece. Would shake out the dust from the mansala cloth but not wash it (if you do, do it very carefully) because it might disintegrate. Nice to have a mansala on it.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Yeah, i was watching this one. Looks like a nice battle piece. A good cleaning should go a long way on this one. Too bad about the damage at the bottom of the sheath, but the rest looks restorable.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Maurice

Hi Detlef,

I like your kris!
It looks like an old warrior!

Recently a moro kris arrived here with the same kind of varnish that is on your blade.
Try to get that off, and give the blade a slight etch after getting rid of the surface rust, it will look as reborn than.
Please don't wash the fabric. I would leave it as it is, just as the handle!
It is better that it smells like moro than if it would smell like lotion.
Maybe you could give the scabbard a light wax to bring new live in the wood.

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Sort of looks Maguindanao. A fighting piece. Would shake out the dust from the mansala cloth but not wash it (if you do, do it very carefully) because it might disintegrate. Nice to have a mansala on it.
Thank you Jose for classification since I have problems to differentiate between Moro kris. About the mansala: This have been the reason to ask to wash it or not. I am also afraid to destroy it.

Do you have a hunch how old this pice may be?

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 19th April 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 19th April 2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yeah, i was watching this one. Looks like a nice battle piece. A good cleaning should go a long way on this one. Too bad about the damage at the bottom of the sheath, but the rest looks restorable.
Hi David,

I think that it isn't to much work to restore it, the blade have only a little bit corrosion, most is this varnish on it. Like you write is only the demage at the sheat a problem. I will look what I can do when I hold it in my hands (hope that the volcano stop soon in Iceland).

Regards,

Detlef
Old 19th April 2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Hi Detlef,

I like your kris!
It looks like an old warrior!

Recently a moro kris arrived here with the same kind of varnish that is on your blade.
Try to get that off, and give the blade a slight etch after getting rid of the surface rust, it will look as reborn than.
Please don't wash the fabric. I would leave it as it is, just as the handle!
It is better that it smells like moro than if it would smell like lotion.
Maybe you could give the scabbard a light wax to bring new live in the wood.

Maurice
Hi Maurice,

yeah, I have seen your kris and think that it is the same sort of varnish on my blade. What you have used to remove it?

Will let the mansala like this and hope that it don't smell to strong!

The sheat will get a good care, only the demage will be a problem.

Best,

Detlef
Old 19th April 2010, 07:10 PM   #8
kino

Good score. I should have placed a larger bid amount . I really like it for the munsala It would look good cleaned up. Congrats.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 07:10 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A NICE OLD KERIS! IF POSSIBLE REMOVE THE CLOTH WHILE WORKING ON THE KRIS AND REPLACE IT AFTER YOU ARE DONE. THE CLOTH IS LIKELY THE MOST FRAGILE PART, THE WOVEN FIBER GRIP AND BANDS ON THE SCABBARD BEING THE SECOND MOST FRAGILE. AS JOSE SAID WASHING THE CLOTH MIGHT CAUSE IT TO FALL APART.
ACETONE MAY REMOVE THE VARNISH AND STUFF FROM THE BLADE BUT TRY NOT TO GET IT ON THE FIBER ON THE GRIP AS IT OFTEN MESSES UP THE PATINA AND MAKES IT LOOK WHITE. A LIGHT COATING OF MINERAL OIL WILL HELP THE WOVEN FIBER GRIP AND SCABBARD BANDS MAKEING THEM LESS BRITTLE AND DARKENING THE PATINA. iF YOU PREFER NOT TO DARKEN THE FIBER OR WOOD SCABBARD DON'T USE THE MINERAL OIL OR WAX. I PERSONALLY LIKE THE RESTORATION AND RICHER COLOR BUT SOME DON'T.
USE ACETONE IN THE OPEN AIR WITH NO FIRE AROUND AS IT IS HIGHLY FLAMABLE AND CONCENTRATED FUMES CAN KNOCK YOU OUT. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank you Jose for classification since I have problems to differentiate between Moro kris. About the mansala: This have been the reason to ask to wash it or not. I am also afraid to destroy it.

Regards,

Detlef
I truly agree. The mansala is a part of the weapon just as much as the hilt or scabbard. It is blessed and talismanic. It is a piece of identifiable culture. I am glad it will not be destroyed.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Good score. I should have placed a larger bid amount . I really like it for the munsala It would look good cleaned up. Congrats.
Oh sorry! But I am sure that you have some very nice ones in your collection and this one is just my second.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 19th April 2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A NICE OLD KERIS! IF POSSIBLE REMOVE THE CLOTH WHILE WORKING ON THE KRIS AND REPLACE IT AFTER YOU ARE DONE. THE CLOTH IS LIKELY THE MOST FRAGILE PART, THE WOVEN FIBER GRIP AND BANDS ON THE SCABBARD BEING THE SECOND MOST FRAGILE. AS JOSE SAID WASHING THE CLOTH MIGHT CAUSE IT TO FALL APART.
ACETONE MAY REMOVE THE VARNISH AND STUFF FROM THE BLADE BUT TRY NOT TO GET IT ON THE FIBER ON THE GRIP AS IT OFTEN MESSES UP THE PATINA AND MAKES IT LOOK WHITE. A LIGHT COATING OF MINERAL OIL WILL HELP THE WOVEN FIBER GRIP AND SCABBARD BANDS MAKEING THEM LESS BRITTLE AND DARKENING THE PATINA. iF YOU PREFER NOT TO DARKEN THE FIBER OR WOOD SCABBARD DON'T USE THE MINERAL OIL OR WAX. I PERSONALLY LIKE THE RESTORATION AND RICHER COLOR BUT SOME DON'T.
USE ACETONE IN THE OPEN AIR WITH NO FIRE AROUND AS IT IS HIGHLY FLAMABLE AND CONCENTRATED FUMES CAN KNOCK YOU OUT. GOOD LUCK

Thank you, and you guys have made me afraid to wash the mansala so I don't will do it.

Thank you also for the tip with the acetone, I have handled it already so I know that the smell is very strong and that it is highley flamable.

I personally like it too when the patination becomes more dark and the colour of the wood is richer and will try your tip with the mineral oil. And of course I will open the mansala before all restore works.

Best,

Detlef
Old 19th April 2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

Hi,

I would ask the seller if there is any provenance with this piece, I ask as I saw a very similar one with 3 other weapons from the region in a US auction house with a name and period being attached to the pieces.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Hi,

I would ask the seller if there is any provenance with this piece, I ask as I saw a very similar one with 3 other weapons from the region in a US auction house with a name and period being attached to the pieces.

Gav

Hi Gav,

good idea and is done already, sometimes is a interesting story behind some pieces.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 19th April 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Ferguson

Very nice. A great honest piece. I'll bet that the stuff on the blade is grease, not varnish. But either way a solvent like acetone should remove it. If you can slip the rattan bands off the scabbard and clean it out, it will be good. If that's not possible, attach small solvent soaked pieces of cloth to a wire and clean it out. I've used a gun cleaning rod with bronze brush to good effect also.

You'll enjoy this piece. While not flashy, it's as good as they get!

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 01:51 AM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Very nice. A great honest piece. I'll bet that the stuff on the blade is grease, not varnish. But either way a solvent like acetone should remove it. If you can slip the rattan bands off the scabbard and clean it out, it will be good. If that's not possible, attach small solvent soaked pieces of cloth to a wire and clean it out. I've used a gun cleaning rod with bronze brush to good effect also.

Steve
Thank you Steve for the tip to clean the sheat inside.

Detlef
Old 21st April 2010, 10:32 PM   #17
kai

Hello Detlef,

Good one - also like the mansala a lot! (I'd be even careful with shaking the dust from it since such old fabric can be pretty fragile...)

Seems that the blade is from the second half of the 19th c. (possibly later rather than earlier within this period, I'd believe); certainly laminated.

The fittings are Maguindanao with the asang-asang and hilt looking like somewhat later replacements. When you receive it, please check wether another asang-asang had been present on the upper gangya.

The scabbard looks old with nicely figured wood asking for cleaning. Seems like the wooden pins failed on one side at the throat (and perhaps the tip, too). Can probably be replaced but I'd consider leaving it as is. I wouldn't bother about the tip damage but another rattan ring will keep it tight if so desired. Be careful when drawing the sword though - old scabbards are rarely save to grip!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:06 PM   #18
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

Good one - also like the mansala a lot! (I'd be even careful with shaking the dust from it since such old fabric can be pretty fragile...)

Seems that the blade is from the second half of the 19th c. (possibly later rather than earlier within this period, I'd believe); certainly laminated.

The fittings are Maguindanao with the asang-asang and hilt looking like somewhat later replacements. When you receive it, please check wether another asang-asang had been present on the upper gangya.

The scabbard looks old with nicely figured wood asking for cleaning. Seems like the wooden pins failed on one side at the throat (and perhaps the tip, too). Can probably be replaced but I'd consider leaving it as is. I wouldn't bother about the tip damage but another rattan ring will keep it tight if so desired. Be careful when drawing the sword though - old scabbards are rarely save to grip!

Regards,
Kai

Hello Kai,

thank's for comment!

Would you replace a optionally second asang-asang?

To be careful by drawing out sharp blades from old sheats I have learned time by time very painful!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Sajen

I get answer from the seller about the provenance: He have bought it by an auction and the auction-house don't want to give informations about the presenter.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:03 PM   #20
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Here's the same wrap on a mid 20th century kris .
Your's has great patina .

Remember, any change to this kris (excluding the sacbbard ring) other than cleanup/conservation would change its character .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:32 PM   #21
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Here's the same wrap on a mid 20th century kris .
Your's has great patina .

Remember, any change to this kris (excluding the sacbbard ring) other than cleanup/conservation would change its character .

Hi Rick,

yes, direct the same style. Don't worry, apart from refitting the scabbard mouth and cleaning/etching the kris will keep it's original flair.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 22nd April 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:35 AM   #22
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I get answer from the seller about the provenance: He have bought it by an auction and the auction-house don't want to give informations about the presenter.
Hi Detlef,

Maybe the auction house can forward your emailaddress to the presenter.
If he/she doesn't mind he/she would contact you, and the auction house doesn't have to give informations about the presenter.
50% chance (if the auctionhouse will do the effort passing your emailaddress)...
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 03:25 PM   #23
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson

Steve

Today I received the kris (I have to take it by german customs) and you are right, the stuff on the blade have been grease. Easy to remove by acetone and it has kept the blade in very good condition. And I have followed your tip; I have opened the scabbard and have cleaned it from inside.

Tomorrow I will post pictures.
Old 12th May 2010, 04:35 PM   #24
Sajen

Here some pictures from the blade after a cleaning with acetone and from the sheat after rubbing it softly with a cloth and wood oil. Sorry for the poor picture quality, it's a dark day here in Germany! Now I want to etch the blade with vinegar but have to wait until my wife isn't in the kitchen!
Attached Images