Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 4th March 2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Green

Default Breakage during shipment

I have never experienced any damage or breakage of items shipped from overseas even for fragile items such as ceramic bowls, until this week that is.

I would like to hear from any of you here, your experience and how to handle the situation with the shipper.

Here is my situation.
My package , in FOUR layers of protective material (outer box, inner box lined with polystyrene and layers of newspapers wrapped over the item (Keris)) with FRAGILE stickers pasted all over, was sent via fedex from Indonesia. When I received it, the package looked OK and untampered but when opened the sarung was broken and split in several places. It is obvious that something heavy was put on top of it.

When I filed a complaint to fedex, their answer was that they are not responsible as the packaging material is not sufficient!

Below is a part of the quote from fedex.

" We truly apologize that we will not be able to honor any claims with regards to this incident and a proper packaging is the sole responsibility of the shipper."

This is absolutely not true as I've received shipments countless of times with even flimsier packaging material! I think the fault is with fedex not following proper procedures in handling the package.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions what I should do next

thanks

Nik
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Jean

This type of problem occurred to me several times with parcels from Indonesia.
The damage to your scabbard is very severe but IMO and if there was no blade inside, I would agree with Fedex that the package was not rigid enough. In my case I usually managed to repair the damages myself by gluing the broken parts, and in 2 occasions I returned the parcel to the seller who replaced the broken sarung. Good luck!

Last edited by Jean; 4th March 2020 at 08:10 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Anthony G.

These items are old especially for wood which is old and fragile, therefore it is easy subject to breakage and damage.

From the picture, I felt that the item can be packed better. I have 2 incidents to share as well.

1) I bought an old keris from USA and ship by UPS. They also claimed that they are not able to honor the damage due to poor dealer packaging (despite I bought shipping insurance). I just glue back the damaged part and dealer gave me some discount. The next purchase which he wrapped the keris with thick bubble pack and put in a box surrounded by 'air-bag'. That keris arrives safe and sound in one piece.

2) I made a Balinese warangka which is painted type. It is shipped to me and it arrives broken with chipped paint. The packaging is similar to what you have in this photo. What can I do except I 'cried'. I lost 360USD for that broken warangka. I have to spend money to make a new piece.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Green

Thanks Anthony G and Jean. I don't blame the seller because I've received many other items without damage when the package was even less strong than this before. My feeling is the courier people did not use proper procedure in handling fragile packaging this time.

I think I can still get the sarong repaired but that is not the point. I'm disappointed that fedex put the blame on packaging rather than admit their people's improper handling.
Old 4th March 2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

That's a familiar tactic for FEDEX.
I won a large oil painting on ebay; the Seller shipped it FEDEX; I cringed when I saw they were shippers.

The painting arrived, frame smashed to bits; canvas okay.
FEDEX paid for a new frame after much hemming and hawing.
IIRC FEDEX told me that the person who shipped the item had to make the claim.
It was a process, but I got the frame replaced on their dime.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 05:40 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Was no additional insurance taken out before this sheath was shipped?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 08:45 PM   #7
RAMBA

Seems like a truck has run over it!

Packaging seems more than adequate. Just careless "who cares" handling from the shipper.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 04:08 AM   #8
apolaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
This type of problem occurred to me several times with parcels from Indonesia.
The damage to your scabbard is very severe but IMO and if there was no blade inside, I would agree with Fedex that the package was not rigid enough. In my case I usually managed to repair the damages myself by gluing the broken parts, and in 2 occasions I returned the parcel to the seller who replaced the broken sarung. Good luck!
I once had 2 Dayak boat lutes I purchased in Indonesia shipped to the US. I took them to pos indonesia facility in Jogja and had wooden frames created to shelter the boxes. I think both made it safely with only minor hairline split on one, but I think it was due to fluctuation in humidity.

I wonder if similar things can be done in this case with the scabbard.
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
I once had 2 Dayak boat lutes I purchased in Indonesia shipped to the US. I took them to pos indonesia facility in Jogja and had wooden frames created to shelter the boxes. I think both made it safely with only minor hairline split on one, but I think it was due to fluctuation in humidity.

I wonder if similar things can be done in this case with the scabbard.
Hi

It does help. I bought an old keris from Indonesia and shipped to Singapore. It was protected by a wooden crate as what you have described and all is well.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 02:07 PM   #10
Green

David;

it was not insured by the seller/sender. But I always assume that the courier service will reimburse for any damage caused by their staff. I'm dissapointed that fedex turns out to be a cheapskate big company. They did not even try to investigate the cause!
Old 6th March 2020, 10:32 AM   #11
Will M

Something like that is best strapped to a piece of 2x4. Newspaper doesn't work as well as bubble wrap but should have been sufficient. Of course size of box increases price of shipping but more protective packaging can be used.
It really makes one believe that when they see "fragile" tape they respond by using the package as a football. I can't recall the exact height a package is supposed to withstand without damaging contents, USPS I recall is a 10 foot height. I remember it was impossible to find Canada Post criteria. All carriers insurance is useless except when a package is lost and even then.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote