Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd March 2017, 11:15 PM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Nilotic Sudanese Crocodile Short Sword

Purchased this short sword about a year ago and have only seen one identical and one other comparable . Has the young crocodile sheath similar to that of some kaskaras. Ivory Dot/Circle rings and insets alike in some Sudanese arm daggers.

The blade does have a crude center fuller accompannying decorated scrolls and motif work. One side resides a bird and on the other a fish. Also there is some untranslated text, presumably Arabic (?). I am assuming that this is of mid-20th century/North Sudan provenance. I don't think it is a tourist piece

Would anybody be kind enough to (1) translate the text (2)be able to identify a more precise location in Sudan in regard to hilt design. From what I understand, this may originate Between Dongola due to the animal motifs and croc sheath, but also maybe of Kordofan as I see some influence in the pommel shape. Has anybody seen similar examples or have any further knowledge around this item?

Some past useful links:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=dongola
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=kordofan
http://oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=4114

Dimensions
Overall Length W/ Sheath: 26 ¾” (68cm)
Hilt & Blade Length: 22” (55.5cm)
Blade Length: 16 7/8” (42.3cm)

Thank You
-Geoff
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 10:31 AM   #2
eftihis

Well, thats something similar from me.
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 03:19 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

An interesting Nilotic sword, and as already surmised, probably mid 20th c.
It seems the crescent type pommel on these is fairly consistent and the form itself with the straight and pointed blade is regarded as from regions around Dongola (nearest to 3rd cataract on the Nile).

I have seen swords of this type often with a crocodile in profile as motif on these blades (Egerton, 1896, pp.157, 197 and other sources). It is notable that the scabbards are most often largely intact crocodiles. These swords with this shorter blade type seem characteristic of these northern Sudan regions, while to the south the well known kaskara prevails. It seems with the use of the crocodile in motif on the blades, carrying that theme to the scabbards would be quite understandable.

In notes I have found these same kinds of rocker type motif, fish, and the chevron type markings on edged weapons of these regions which are most likely the same period as this one. The 'Arabic' style script is simply imitating that writing, and seems to be applied in the same manner on these type blades of more modern times.

I have found references claiming that snake and fish skeletons may have talismanic value as these are associated with holy persons and magic, but cannot find the exact source in these notes.

The predominant tribes in these areas of Dongola are the Shaigiya, a riverain people of the Nile who are now agricultural, but were formerly quite well feared warriors. They are known to have used crocodile and often hippo shields and swords and lances. I have not found what swords (usually termed sabres) but the use of the crocodile hides is somewhat compelling.

While the kaskaras of the south do not seem to have crocodile hide used in mounts, it does seem to have been used in Darfur (and Kordofan) but only in small parts of hilt grip. There are examples of kaskara with complete crocodile hides (in Darfur type blade and mounts) as well as many varied weapons covered in crocodile hide, but these are from Mahdist period, so d not seem consistent with these modern Dongola examples.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote