Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2005, 04:07 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile 18 CENTURY HUNGARIAN SWORD

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF A INTERESTING SWORD SAID TO BE 18 CENTURY HUNGARIAN. IT IS 29 5/8 IN LONG OVERALL AND HAS A BRONZE HANDLE IN THE SHAPE OF A OTTOMAN SULTAN, POSSIBLY TO SIGNIFY THAT A HUNGARIAN HELD A OTTOMON SULTAN IN HIS HAND. THE SWORD IS NOT MINE UNFORTUNATELY WAY TOO RICH FOR ME, BUT IS WELL MADE AND INTERESTING ENJOY!
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2005, 06:36 PM   #2
ariel

Unless my eyes deceive me, the same handle was offered on e-bay couple of years ago, only then it was attached to a VERY different blade....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 03:44 AM   #3
not2sharp

That is a strange looking blade; could it possibly have been a sawback that has been removed?

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 02:01 PM   #4
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Unless my eyes deceive me, the same handle was offered on e-bay couple of years ago, only then it was attached to a VERY different blade....
Have you noticed this very sword just sold on eBay, also as 17-18C Hungarian/Turkish. The handle is crude and unusual to say the least, the blade is old but... what this could be?
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 04:05 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Hello,

The hilt appears to be rather crudely cast.

As with respect to the blade... well... it looks rather new to me.

And other than the "turk" of the hilt, it doesn't appear to have anything Turkish.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is good to see VANDOO pop up on a post here, as I always looked forward to his entries, miss him very much already.
As always, an interesting item, and well observed as far as the crudely cast hilt, which seems almost fanciful, and the blade which does not seem anything to do with Hungarian swords.

The blade seems potentially very mid to latter 19th century to me, and possibly one of the support units like pioneers, sappers etc. which may have brought the suggestion of saw back removal (N2S). The hilt is cast much like band swords in character.

Whatever the case, this was not anything Hungarian, nor 17th/18th c. despite the always (reliable??!!) online descriptions in these auction entries. and as Ariel notes, often hilts pop up year to year with different blades. Industrious and creative sellers.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote