Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd January 2012, 04:01 AM   #31
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I DON'T PERSONALLY COLLECT FIREARMS BUT MY FAVORITE OF THE OLD REVOLVERS IS THE LE MAT REVOLVER. IT WAS INVENTED BY DR. LEMAT IN NEW ORLEANS IN 1856 AND WAS MADE IN FRANCE FOR THE CONFEDERATE ARMY DURING THE CIVIL WAR. LARGE SCALE MANUFACTURING WAS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE SOUTH AND NOT TOO MANY MADE IT THRU FROM FRANCE DUE TO THE UNION BLOCKADES.
THE ORIGINAL REVOLVERS WERE BLACK POWDER CAP AND BALL AND HAD A 9 SHOT CYLINDER IN 42 CAL WITH A SMOOTH BORE BARREL IN 16 GAUGE USED TO SHOOT BUCK SHOT. THIS FEATURE LED TO THE NAME GRAPESHOT REVOLVER, A SWITCH ON THE HAMMER ALLOWED ONE TO SWITCH FROM THE CYLINDER TO THE SHOTGUN BARREL AND BACK.
IT WAS IN ITS ORIGINAL PRODUCTION FROM 1861 TO 1865 BUT OTHER PRODUCTION HAS OCCURED SINCE IN PIN FIRE AND CENTER FIRE MODELS IN DIFFERENT CALIBER. SEE THE PICTURES ONE SHOWING THE SWITCH LEVER IN THE DOWN POSITION TO FIRE THE SHOTGUN BARREL.
I GREW UP WITH GUNS AND USED THEM A LOT SO THEY ARE KIND OF LIKE TOOLS TO ME AND I DO HAVE A TOOL BOX WITH WHAT I NEED FOR VARIOUS JOBS. I LIKE TO LOOK AT THE OLD GUNS BUT LUCKY FOR ME IT IS ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RESIST COLLECTING. THIS GUN IS FAIRLY RECENT BY ASIAN OR EUROPEAN STANDARDS BUT AMERICA IS STILL A YOUNGSTER.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:25 PM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Masacote

Hi Fernando K,
Thanks for explaining the meaning of the term. In fact i was more or less familiarized with the conversion systems, but have never heard the term Masacote.
The term i knew in Spanish (Castillian) for the conversion piece (breech) was Culatin.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:26 PM   #33
fernando

Hi Broadaxe,
Thsnks for your input .

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
... That's an interesting firearm Fernando, and I do think we can share place for historic firearms as well....
Taking this thread title and the question it contains in its original context, one will remind that the said thread was open over three years ago, by the time the European Armoury Forum was created, the question being the "feeling the pulse" of the forum members on their range of preferences. From then on we have verified some enthusiasm on this area (me included )

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
... I think the word you used, "patilha", originates in old Arabic, because "fitil" means actually cord fuse or cord match, so the phrase "Abu-fitil" meaned matchlock gun, later any long gun...
Now i am a bit confused
I can go as far as knowing that patilha comes from the Castillian patilla; for the moment i fail to confirm if it originaly comes from old Arabic.
But i can tell you that, for the case, and as reminded by Fernando K in his post #30, patilha/patilla is the toe in the front foot of the hammer that holds it in half and full cock positions. Allegedly the name of this part comes from its resemblance with sideburns.

Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2012, 04:43 PM   #34
fernando

Hi Barry,
What a fine specimen you have selected to illustrate your impressions on old guns. The LeMat revolver shure deserves its inscription in the walk of fame.
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:04 PM   #35
rickystl

Hi Fernando!!! That is a very interesting piece. To me, the miquelet percussion lock does not look converted from flint. The cut outs on the breech of the barrel as well as the bolster for the nipple look familiar as an early percussion system. If this is the case, this would probably date this gun to about 1840 or later. The swell at the muzzle was likely done for ease in loading. And the Catalan style but stock really adds to the attractiveness of this gun. As you mentioned, this gun looks like a perfect example of a short, personal protection weapon from the period. The markings on this gun are also attractive.

As for myself, my main interest is in firearms. Especially Ethnographic firearms and some European. I collect, and even shoot selected originals from my collection. Only have a few edge weapons. I do hope this forum continues with Firearms postings. I have found there are very few interested in the Ethnographic firearms. Most of the guys are interested in the swords and armour. I have found the Viking Sword Web-Site to be fun and educational - and very addictive!!
Stuart: I sure do wish that Omani decorated Martini would grow legs and come running to mt house
Since we are on the European Forum, a couple of Spanish guns from my collection. Believe I've posted these before. Thanks again to everyone for your help over the many months. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 05:50 PM   #36
fernando

Thank you Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
... To me, the miquelet percussion lock does not look converted from flint...
This surely is an original percussion lock, a Miquelete of late generation, as said in my post #7.

Quote:
... As for myself, my main interest is in firearms...
I have started gathering both fire and edged weapons, with an Ethno influence from this (Ethno) forum, much before the starting of the European section. When this (European) came on stage, i started turning to European stuff, having by now disposed of practicaly all Ethno pieces, both to give a more 'rational' sense to the collection and for (trying to) balance the budget spent with the newly acquired items ... which are visibly much more expensive than Ethno ... at least in the range of current examples.

Quote:
... I do hope this forum continues with Firearms postings...
Amen .

Quote:
I have found the Viking Sword Web-Site to be fun and educational - and very addictive!! ...
Well, that's the idea. Here between us, we give the members a potion prepared by one of the best Druids .

Quote:
... Thanks again to everyone for your help over the many months...
Ah, mutual help is the speciality of Vickingsword Forums .