Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
spiral

Default A group of group of 10th Gurkha rifles Officers kukri from WW1 &WW2

Hi chaps! Long time no see!

Heres a group of 10th Gurkha rifles Officers kukris from my collection, That I thought I would share with you chaps. From both first & second world wars.

This one {below.} belonged to Lt. Bazett of 10th Gurkha rifles who also appears to have spent a year on loan to the Burma Military police & is recorded as Quartermaster at Myamo in Burma in 1919 again with the 10GR..After ww2 he moved to Canada. He was reenlisted in WW2 with the rank of Major & employed in "Special Services" apparently as a senior training officer.{He must have learnt a lot in Burma!} I like to think of it as a true military sirupate, with its slender 15 1/4 inch blade.

Heres a picture of him wearing it. { tall chap,Second from right about c.1917/18} although with the sam browne frog rather than the issue field frog it came with from his great Grandson, after passing through the safe hands of JP.

Next we have the big one! Clearly made in the same workshop as Lt.Bazetts kukri, but much more in style, its a real heavy weight hitter, clearly made for a large powerfull man. Blade only 14 1/2 inches long but weights in at just over a kilo so a match in weight & length to some of the Nepali army long leaf kukri. {Although balance wise the heavy silver buttcap does help offset the otherwise very heavy blade.} Its heavier than I normally in mylike but It would cut a mans head in half lengthways down to his chest, Im sure ! certainly fantastic intimidation factor as well particularly if the Officer had a large .455 webley in his left hand at the same time!

It wears a very rare sam browne Officers belt frog & carrys identical buttcap & silver fittings as Lt. Bazzets.

And last but by no means least we have an early WW2 era 10th Gurkha riflles Officers dia chirra kukri, {Sadley when I bought it about 9 or 10 years ago I didn't record the past owners name when I bought it of his son in Law. my error...} The silver had very carefully been painted black {not patina, but actual paint!} So presumably had seen front line service.

A very similar kukri is held at the Gurkha museam Winchester, {photo below.} although that one carrys a coveted Sam Browne frog.

Spiral

spiral is offline   Reply With Quote