Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Wood knife 4 our entertainment?

I have just picked this from ebay. I know we do not talk money here but this was less than the basic UK currency unit. The thing is that the description was less than useless so too is the picture. The only real information is that there is some "hand carved decoration around the handle" I have taken a chance on it as a knife from Vanuatu and all islands in the vicinity. It is approx 12" long. the form and length on a superficial check with published material is not out of the ordinary, as far as the pictures show. So until it arrives? These were not used just for food, if it is one?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Berkley

Playing with the image confirms that there is in fact some decoration:
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Bryan.H

I've seen similar that are often labelled as 'Lime Spatulas' and 30 cm sounds about right for the length, but who knows? It could be a weapon. Massim? Solomons? Sometimes the simpler the style, the harder to precisely identify
Bryan.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

WOW! thanks chaps.
Starting to look as if this might be a nice thing. Here are some illustrated wood knives from "Ethnology Of Vanuatu, An early twentieth century study, Felix Speiser"
Attached Images

Old 14th April 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

It is here now and even if I say so myself, it is a super thing. Lucky lucky.

Bryan I do not think it is a lime spatula. Compared to what is most certainly a food knife, this is very much more like a dagger. Made of a harder wood. Could still just be a food knife? but you could just as easy stick it into somebodies guts or chest? especially if your victim wears nothing but a shell or similar to cover their private parts.
Referring to the afore mentioned book, in the section on knives, the author states that he has no record of knives used in combat. That is not to say the Islander never did use then. They used bamboo knives to cut heads off and to cut flesh. One other thing, is the knife could be from many Islands other than Vanuatu Islands.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 14th April 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar, punctuation.
Old 14th April 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Sajen

Very nice grab Tim!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:28 AM   #7
fearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
It is here now and even if I say so myself, it is a super thing. Lucky lucky.

Bryan I do not think it is a lime spatula. Compared to what is most certainly a food knife, this is very much more like a dagger. Made of a harder wood. Could still just be a food knife? but you could just as easy stick it into somebodies guts or chest? especially if your victim wears nothing but a shell or similar to cover their private parts.
Referring to the afore mentioned book, in the section on knives, the author states that he has no record of knives used in combat. That is not to say the Islander never did use then. They used bamboo knives to cut heads off and to cut flesh. One other thing, is the knife could be from many Islands other than Vanuatu Islands.
Hi Tim,

Nice find!

I'm wondering whether it's some sort of training knife, perhaps from PI? Are the decorations carved in or burnt in? Personally, I think you need to treat yourself to a steak dinner, and see how well it carves and stabs the raw steak. Depends on whether you want to keep it, I guess...

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Some better pictures. One could certainly stab with it but not cut.

I cannot rule out European folk art. These pictures are from two old books "Peasant Art In Roumania, {note the spelling} 1929", and " Hungarian Peasant Art, 1958". It is not the sort of knife a European would eat with. It could be some sort of table knife or spreader or even a tool associated with a craft activity? I really do not think it is in anyway British folk art. Any folk art collectors with us here?

It is even possible that it is something like I suggested, the form is not unlike the illustrations.
Attached Images