Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Marcokeris

Default New book about keris

I'm a new member. I live in Italy and my English is not so good.
Last week I was in Indonesia where i bought a new book about keris. The book is "KERIS JAWA: Antara Mistik dan Nalar" written by Haryono Haryoguritno and is really fantastic!!!
For me it is the best book never edit about keris (the book that every collector dreams to have). It is in Bahasa language, only about Yogya and Solo keris but full of beautiful photos and pictures
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Alam Shah

Thumbs up Good Book...

Hi Marcokeris, welcome to the forum.

A nice book indeed. I've partially read the book... a thick book with excellent quality pictures and many high quality kerises featured. Coupled with Ensiklopedi Keris by Bambang Harisnuksmo would cover quite a lot of info about Javanese kerisses.

I believe, currently the English version is being translated and would be made available. When? I don't know.

The cost of the book is quite hefty but the contents and quality of print is of a high standard.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking Hijacked To The Coffee Shop

Well, we needed a first post and this is a good one to start with .

I can't wait for an English translation of this work .
Where can the Ensiklopedi be purchased ?
Could someone PM me please ?

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Hi Marcokeris, welcome to the forum.

A nice book indeed. I've partially read the book... a thick book with excellent quality pictures and many high quality kerises featured. Coupled with Ensiklopedi Keris by Bambang Harisnuksmo would cover quite a lot of info about Javanese kerisses.

I believe, currently the English version is being translated and would be made available. When? I don't know.

The cost of the book is quite hefty but the contents and quality of print is of a high standard.
An english version sounds great. Alam, do you know what version, if memory serves me and it may not, there is a black version and another with the black one being the prefered. Anyone hear this?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 12:50 AM   #5
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Well, we needed a first post and this is a good one to start with .

I can't wait for an English translation of this work .
Where can the Ensiklopedi be purchased ?
Could someone PM me please ?

Rick
The official site to order the book, currently in Bahasa Indonesia only.
Keris Jawa - antara mistik dan nalar.
http://www.indonesiankeris.com/id_book.htm

Ensiklopedi Keris (This book is in Bahasa Indonesia only).
http://www.ethnographicartbooks.com/...=9737529.12698
or
http://www.gramedia.com/buku_detail....EFRP2900&kat=3
or
another place where you could get it, (cheaper).
PM me if you're interested.

For our reference, please.
Old 9th August 2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
An english version sounds great. Alam, do you know what version, if memory serves me and it may not, there is a black version and another with the black one being the prefered. Anyone hear this?
Are you talking about the Ensiklopedi Keris? Yes, this hardcover book is black in color with over 600 pages with a blueish front cover. But only available in the indonesian language.

Old 9th August 2006, 03:45 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

The book, "Keris Jawa, Antara Mystik dan Nalar" is the best keris book I have ever seen.

The production is better than good. It is excellent.

The information contained in the text is from one of the foremost authorities on the Javanese keris. This does not mean that this information is not open to debate, but it does mean that the point of view put forward is accepted by many people and can be substantiated.

The quality of the photographs is wonderful.

The drawings appear to be computer enhancements (I`m guessing here), because they seem to be simply too good for just drawings.

I was given a copy a couple of weeks ago, and have read up to about page 80---still another 300 odd pages to go. This book weighs 3 kilos (6.6 pounds)

I have just checked the link and I see that the price is RP1.000.000, or about $US100, before the 10% tax. This is not expensive for a book of this quality, in fact, I regard it as very, very cheap. Even at twice this price it would still be a great buy.Just for comparison:- when Ensiklopedi first came out, it cost the same :- RP. 1.000.000, and the quality of production of Ensiklopedi is nowhere near the quality of this new book.

For people who cannot read Indonesian, the pictures alone are worth more than the cost of this book.

Its a great book and a landmark in publishing on the keris.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 9th August 2006 at 07:01 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 05:46 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Agreed with Alan Maisey on many counts regarding the book.

The photographs of keris are excellent, (even the wood grains can be seen clearly).

Imo, if one have zero knowledge about the keris, by the end of reading the book, we'll probably have a new keris collector. If he/she is already one, then it should increase the appreciation of kerises.
Old 9th August 2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Marcokeris

A friend of mine (a keris collector) two mounth ago told me that a new book about keris - keris' handles would be soon edit in Italy (but with English traslation).
The author of the book is Mrs. Vanna Scolari Ghiringhelli.
Mrs. Ghiringhelli wrote some years ago another fine book: "kris gli invincibili"
The book is just done and the author is now looking for a book publisher
Old 10th August 2006, 12:55 AM   #10
Alam Shah

I hope she can get a publisher. The book written by Vanna e Mario Ghiringhelli had many beautiful keris pieces. A fine small little book with many picture but limited text.

But I do hope the book is bigger, with bigger pictures and more informational texts.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 10th August 2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10th August 2006, 01:31 AM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Tammens De Kris volume number three is a pretty good text on handles too .
Lots of pictures although I cannot comment on the accuracy of descriptions and attributions; possibly someone else may care to comment on this volume .
I would also recommend David Van Duren's book Krisses A Critical Bibliography as a guide to extant publications on the subject of keris .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 02:34 AM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Alan, for your preview/review on this new book. Given the quality described $100 is not too much at all, especially if the study of keris is your passion. What i am wondering is if there is really any truth to Shahrial's suggestion that an English translation is in the works. If so it makes sense for me to wait, but i hope the wait won't be too long. Has anyone else heard that such a translation is in the works. I wouldn't doubt you Shahrial if you had said you knew for sure so i am hoping someone else has heard about this as well.
If no translation is forthcoming i am sure vi would buy this book anyway. A good picture is worth a thousand words and if the illustrations are anywhere near as good as i have heard it would still be well worth the price (+ that Indonesian/English dictionary i have yet to get ).
I have been aware that there was a new Ghiringhelli in the works and that should also be a good one when it gets published.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Alam Shah

Default Confirmation...

David,

A friend of mine knows the publisher of the book. (Pak Boedhi... where are you...) .

Btw, congrat David on making the Mod list.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 10th August 2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10th August 2006, 04:44 AM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Shahrial. Hope it didn't shock you too much. In case anyone was wondering, yes i am Nechesh, but Rick thought it was a good idea for Mods to use there real first names and i agree.
Please encourage Boethi to join us. I am anxious to hear more about this book and any possible translations.
Old 10th August 2006, 06:55 AM   #15
Boedhi Adhitya

Sorry for being late on joining this thread.

Thank you, Marcokeris, for starting this thread. I've kept myself from starting this thread for several months, because I'm not sure where I should put it, in swap or 'normal' forum, since I didn't want anybody see me as 'advertising' this book (while I got no comission at all )

As Shahrial had already post, I've met the chairman of PT Indonesia Kebanggaanku - the publisher of "Keris Jawa: Antara Mistik dan Nalar" - Mr. Rudy J. Pesik personally in June. He told me that he is working the English translation and scheduled to be completed at the end of this year. Actually, it was scheduled this month (August 2006) but Mr. Goura Mancacarita (an Australian, who had became a dalang, changes his nationality to Indonesia and an 'abdi dalem' of Surakarta Court) who worked on the translation did not kept up the schedule. For those who wish to have the English version, please wait for a while (and pray for the translation to be compeleted on time), but for those who can't wait, just grab it
Mr. Rudy also inform me that he is working on Book of Keris Bali also, which is still written by prominent native Bali collector (I forget the name), and he still looking for 'native expert' on Keris Bugis/Sulawesi. He insists to find a 'native expert' to give the book the tradisional/native standart/pakem and perspective, which may not being understood by other people from other cultures.

About the book being discussed, "Keris Jawa: Antara Mistik dan Nalar", as Alan said, it is the best book on keris jawa possible today. Quite concise, fully illustrated (the illustration based on actual kerises) and written in logical manner, chapter to chapter (Mr Guritno had asked some advise from several professors regarding the wording and technical aspect before published). But as we had already knew, we're only human.

As Guritno learnt under 'Surakarta school', this book mostly based on Surakarta's cultural standard which was culminated under the Pakubuwono X, with the famous 'Gebyar/ Macak Baris' approach, that is, 'mewah', luxurious approach. The Jogjakarta approach is 'Ngayang Batin', 'subtle'. These approach reflected on every aspect of Jogja and Solo cultures (dances, gamelan, wayang, etc, even the 'native' personal character, until today!). On this book, this approach reflected mostly on the example photographs and Keris Assesment standart. Both approach are good on their own sake, just don't mix it up

I have some disagreement on Keris Wearing, in Jogja style. As we both quote/learnt from the same sources, R. Riyo Condropuspito, I don't know why, the result are different. Unfortunately, Condropuspito had passed away. But for the rest of the book, I would mostly agree. IMHO, it is a traditional Court's standard (Pakem Baku/standar) on keris jawa which is accepted by many 'serious' collectors in Java today.

About Ensiklopedi Keris, I've never heard about it is being translated to English, and I believe, it wouldn't be any. The black-covered Ensiklopedi Keris is the second, revised edition, and I believe it is the last edition, as Mr. Bambang Harsrinuksmo passed away just before the launching. It is a good book, but for a beginner, it isn't telling much 'story', as it is written in alphabetical order and intended as an Encyclopedia. If we compare the 'Ensiklopedi' and 'Keris Jawa', we may find some 'disagreement / contradiction' which is very normal. Both might be right (and might be wrong also!), just accept it, as it is part of the 'excitement'

Having both books, what you should seek further is a lot lot lot of experiences, which may count for 99.9%, and trust yourself

Last but not least, I would like to congratulate this 'new' forum, and good luck !

Last edited by Boedhi Adhitya; 10th August 2006 at 07:12 AM.
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 01:14 PM   #16
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Tammens De Kris volume number three is a pretty good text on handles too .
Lots of pictures although I cannot comment on the accuracy of descriptions and attributions; possibly someone else may care to comment on this volume .
I would also recommend David Van Duren's book Krisses A Critical Bibliography as a guide to extant publications on the subject of keris .
All the handles in Tammens De Kris vol 3 are a right attribution but the accuracy of description is modest (also the quality of photos).

David Van Dureen's book is really great!! But somethings is lost: J.G.Dieles / Blanke wapens uit de Gordel der Smaragd .... some indonesian fan book or article (there are local newspaper in Jawa with article about keris).... keris' video (N.Geographic?)....all auction catalogues (Sotheby, Christie, ...) .
Old 10th August 2006, 02:22 PM   #17
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Boedhi for joining us. You information is very welcome and i look forward to the English edition of this book. Good things are well worth waiting for.
Old 29th December 2006, 11:18 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

I am bumping this to the top wondering if there has been any move on creating an English edition. How 'bout it Boedhi (or anyone else), any news?
Old 30th December 2006, 05:45 PM   #19
Marcokeris

A note:
a new indonesian book with the same title: "keris jawa" (author M.T. Arifin) would be edit in indonesia.
Is this true? If yes some keris lover could kindly give me any notice about it?
Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2007, 03:20 PM   #20
Marcokeris

A good new from new year:
The new Vanna Ghiringhelli book about keris will be soon in print.

The book publisher is italian: "Tipografia Saviolo"
The name of the book is "Keris Invincible II°"
The book is not in italian language but only in english language
The book has a big size and is full of nice large colour photos.

Two mounths ago I saw a print preview in Milan: is about 150 Ghiringhelli's keris never seen in other book before. One page with the picture of keris the other with description.
The quality of the book (edition, photos and written texts) would be EXCELLENT!!
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:15 PM   #21
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
The new Vanna Ghiringhelli book about keris will be soon in print. The name of the book is "Keris Invincible II°"

The quality of the book (edition, photos and written texts) would be EXCELLENT!!
That's good news indeed. Any idea, what's the estimated cost of the book?
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
That's good news indeed. Any idea, what's the estimated cost of the book?
Alam
I don't know the cost but other books about custom knives of the same publisher are about 80 euro
Old 3rd January 2007, 01:51 PM   #23
Alam Shah

Quote:
Alam
I don't know the cost but other books about custom knives of the same publisher are about 80 euro
Thanks for the info. Do keep us updated when it's available. I want one for myself.
Old 14th February 2007, 03:58 AM   #24
Alam Shah

Lightbulb Keris Book

Quote:
A note:
a new indonesian book with the same title: "keris jawa" (author M.T. Arifin) would be edit in indonesia.
Is this true? If yes some keris lover could kindly give me any notice about it?
Thanks.
Title: Keris-Jawa : bilah, latar sejarah hingga pasar
Author: MT Arifin.
Publisher: Jakarta : Hajied Pustaka, 2006.
Format: 417 pages. : ill. col. ; 21 cm.

Comments:
A thick text book literally filled with text, very few pictures or illustrations.
Written in Bahasa Indonesia. I've browse through, but yet to read it.
Its available at the reference library in Singapore.

(The author is an Indonesian Military Analyst, who have a keen interest in keris.)

Last edited by Alam Shah; 14th February 2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added info...
Old 14th February 2007, 04:55 AM   #25
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for your advice on this one Shahrial.

I have not heard of this one, nor seen it.

Do you have chapter headings?

Anything about the author?

This is an English only discussion group, so if you wish, you can PM me. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2007, 07:05 AM   #26
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
This is an English only discussion group, so if you wish, you can PM me. Thanks.
PM sent.
I'm responding to Marco's earlier request. All posts are written in English. I guess it's ok to comment/discuss about keris books not written in English, right?
Old 14th February 2007, 07:50 AM   #27
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Shahrial.

I certainly hope discussion is OK.

I think the Men with the Whips might object to information or discussion in another language, but I hope discussion about something that is in another language would be OK.

Perhaps the moderators could clarify?
Old 14th February 2007, 01:28 PM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, my "Whip" is in the shop at the moment but i see no reason at all why we cannot discussing books written in other languages as long as we keep the discussion in English. I also see no reason why passages cannot be written out in other languages as long as they are completely and accurately translated.
Old 14th February 2007, 03:15 PM   #29
Marcokeris

Thanks Shahrial.
Next mounth i'ld be in Yogya for a few days. There I'll try to find the book even if my Bahasa's comprehension is very very modest .....but i like to have all write texts about keris in every languages
Old 18th February 2007, 04:08 PM   #30
simatua

Default keris enseclopedia on PDF

For the ones that does not have it yet
http://www.topmdi.com/java/doc/EnsiklopediaKeris.pdf
simatua is offline   Reply With Quote