Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
wolviex

Question WHAT SHOULD MILITARY MUSEUM LOOK LIKE

Dear All!
The question is

"What should military/weapon exhibition or museum look like?"

It's a risky question and I'm almost sure it may cause quite hot discussion here, while we discussed some museums problems before.
My question is an invitation to debate, which may help me to understand what are todays needs of museum guests, both - military/weapons collectors and lovers, and other people without proper knowledge on this field.
My question is provoked by the plans of my museum regarding to collection of arms. We've got circa 12000 objects, not everything is good enough, but I believe circa 3000-4000 military objects can be shown at once or from time to time as turnover. We want to show: few medieval objects (swords, stirrups, saddle, knives etc), Polish weapons 15th-19th century including many hussars weapons (armours, sabres, maces etc), many many sabres, pallashes, uniforms (mostly 19th c.), European edged and fire-arms, 20th c. uniforms and some arms (1st half of the cent.) and Oriental Arms: Turkish, Persian, Indian, Chinese, Malasian, and Japanese.
Please use your imagination and I believe you have your own experiences from other, new or old museums. Which one is the best for your eyes, what is good and bad, what are most common mistakes and best solutions. What should be illustration for military objects: paintings, etchings, graphics, furnitures and some decorative art to fill the exhibition space - that's for sure. What should visitors see on educational boards, what details should be shown.
Technically - in display-cases (some of the objects can't be show without it) or out, dark room with point light or bright rooms, realistic mannequins arranged in scenes (like in Leeds) or standing one by one without special composition, etc.
Wouldn't like to linger this preface. In this thread you can pour out all your pro and cons of todays museums, and your thoughts 'what it should be like'.
Best!
Michal
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Berkley

Michal,
As a preliminary inquiry: Will you be working within the limitations of an existing buiding, or starting from the ground up with an architect? If you will be using an existing structure, what flexibility will you have with regard to the size and shape of exhibition spaces, natural lighting, and the flow of visitors through the exhibition space. Unless you are just asking for idealized "if I were King" fantasies, these mundane considerations will have a considerable impact on the design that is best for your collection and its intended audience, whose nature and size will also be important.
What a wonderful opportunity you have! This should be a very interesting thread to follow.
Berkley

Last edited by Berkley; 23rd May 2006 at 01:59 AM. Reason: To correct a typographical error
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
wolviex

Thank you, I indeed forgot to mention that it will be (if it will be) in todays rooms of "Gallery of Arms and Colours in Poland". These are 10 rooms (see picture) rather narrow but long, of medium height (3-4 metres), and different lenght (room 2 on map is ca. 10 metres long) with day light on one right wall but possible (and in case of uniforms and etchings - necessary) to cover.
But primary my question is what do you like, and how would you like to see the objects in museum. Light, cases, way of arrangement, captions, additional informations (what kind of informations?) etc etc.
Visitors - I belive around 100-200 per day - this is frequency on todays exhibition, which is quite oldfashioned and not such beautiful as it should .
Attached Images

Old 22nd May 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
wolviex

and overall view on two rooms (sorry for quality) - present exhibition
Attached Images

Old 22nd May 2006, 10:29 PM   #5
IainN

I have a few observations from my personal experiences and what I've found to like and not like.

Firstly with display cases, I have found display cases which are mounted flush against the walls of the room to be quite aggravating. As an enthusiast I do not want to be limited to seeing only one side or view of a piece. Light is extremely important not only for viewing but for taking photos. To few museums take into account that many visitors will want to take photos. The only way to allow for this is to have as much natural light as possible in the display area. My suggestion for display is to place the cases in the middle of the hall, making the pieces viewable from all sides, mount pieces where applicable on clear plastic mounts without solid backgrounds (what I mean is to avoid the type of display were the sword is mounted on say a red fabric background). From the couple of pictures you posted it appears that your building already has windows in some of the halls? This is wonderful I think, to often arms&armor displays are dimly lit. In general I like galleries that feel open and airy and allow me to decide my viewing angle. Having a selection of couches or benches in the gallery is also always appreciated.

With regards to materials to be displayed I would put a heavy focus on creating displays with mannequins, costumes, and props when possible, I like seeing a "scene". Perhaps a large display along these lines could be the centerpiece of each gallery with additional cases displaying accompanying artifacts. Personally I think it helps bring pieces to life to see them in context and helps generate interest from the general public who would otherwise find them somewhat boring. For exceptional pieces however, I personally appreciate "stand alone" displays for maximum viewing where the piece is not at a viewing disadvantage from being in context (such as belted at the side of a mannequin). Decorating the galleries themselves to go with the theme of the objects on display might also be a consideration. I like the feeling of changing time periods and places when I move from one room to the next, rather than having the same old "museum room" feel to every gallery.

In terms of written material to be displayed with the pieces one thing I wish museums would do is give more detailed descriptions. To often a piece is only accompanied by a small card giving the dating of the piece, country or tribe of origin and little else. Using period illustrations and photographs to accompany the description would also be very nice to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread develop, I think some very useful and insightful ideas will come out of it. I'm actually planning to be in Krakow this fall so I'm rather excited hear about the items on display and what direction the displays might go. I'm certainly planning on making a visit, from the photos the museum already looks quite nice.
IainN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Wolviex , I would like to share with you pictures from the History of Steel exhibition but I cannot at present without Antonio's permission .
I would strongly suggest that you PM him with your questions or ask him to participate in this thread ; museum display is Antonio's career so I think you would find his input invaluable .
Sooner or later the website for History of Steel will be available to see but I cannot tell you when .

Here is the website from his last exhibition Masters of Fire
http://www.arscives.com/mastersofire/Default.htm
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:18 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

PLANNING A MUSEUM THAT COVERS EVERYONES INTRESTS IS VERY DIFFICULT. A EXPERT ON PERIOD UNIFORMS AND ACCOUNTERMENTS WOULD BE CONTENT TO GO FROM CASE TO CASE STUDIEING THE DIFFERENCES FROM PERIOD TO PERIOD. YOUNG PEOPLE AND THOSE WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEGE OR INTREST IN SUCH THINGS MIGHT BECOME MORE INTERESTED IF YOU HAD A FEW GROUPS OF MANIKINS MIXED IN SHOWING COMBAT BETWEEN ENEMYS FROM THE PERIOD WITH SOME BREIF DESCRIPTIONS OF TACTICICS, ARMAMENTS AND FAMOUS BATTLES. A MUSEUM I VISITED NOT TOO LONG AGO HAD SEVERAL SUCH TABLEAU ONE WAS ZULU WARRIORS VS. BRITISH TROOPS. PICTURES OF BATTLES ARE ALSO INTERESTING TO ALL VISITORS.
I LIKE THINGS GROUPED TOGETHER BY PERIOD AND LIKE TO SEE THE WEAPONS OF THE ENEMY AS WELL AS THE HOME COUNTRYS. I LIKE DISPLAYS THAT ARE WELL BALANCED AND DISPLAYED NOT CLUTTERED. I ALSO LIKE TO SEE AS MANY EXAMPLES OF DIFFERENT WEAPONS AS POSSIBLE WHICH CAN BE DONE WITHOUT LOOKING CLUTTERED IF ARRANGED IN PATTERNS AS IN OLD MUSEUM EXHIBITS. WHAT THRILLS A SCHOLAR OR COLLECTOR USUALLY DOSEN'T IMPRESS THE GENERAL PUBLIC SO IT TAKES SOMETHING SPECTACULAR TO STICK IN THEIR MEMORY. I SAW THE EXHIBIT FROM THE ARMORY AT GRATZ AND THEY HAD A PARTIAL ROOM AS WELL AS PICTURES OF THE ARMORY WHICH ALOWED YOU TO SEE JUST HOW IT LOOKED AS WELL AS HOW LARGE IT WAS.

SPACE , ROOM AND FUNDS ARE ALWAYS LIMITING FACTORS AS TO WHAT YOU CAN DO BUT YOU DO NEED SOME IMPRESSIVE EYE CATCHING DISPLAYS TO MAKE A LASTING IMPRESSION. I LIKE THE WAY THE MUSEUM LOOKS IN YOUR PICTURES, I WILL THINK ON OTHER POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS.

Last edited by VANDOO; 23rd May 2006 at 12:57 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:51 AM   #8
wolviex

Thank you very much!
I'm happy we all agree that scenes with mannequins are attractive. On present exhibition uniforms are shown one by one standing still, and it's good for expert but common people get used to bored very quickly after seeing two, three cases. On mannequins, as we agreed, all becomes to life, and expression as well as perception is quite different. Of course this makes some problems. Each uniform needs mannequin made individually, there are also technical problems. Arms, legs have to be made as separate parts to make it possible to put, often very tight uniform, on mannequin.
IainN: I really appreciate your contribution, and I agree with most what you wrote. But reality is cruel and many things are just impossible or very hard to get. DAYLIGHT is great, as natural source. But unfortunatelly it is deadly for many objects like textiles, paper and lately even Japanese lake. So it is not possible to keep it on many exhibitions. Present exhibition is full of daylight (thought because of uniforms it shouldn't be) and there is other problem of reflections on showcase glass - you can hardly see what is inside, and taking pictures is just a horror. So artificial light is the only solution, I think.
As you, I like to have possibility to see objects from all possible sides, and I wouldn't like to change it because many objects on present exhibition is presented that way. But some of them are "mounted on a red fabric background"
We have already very detailed objects descriptions - well don't we have almost perfect exhibition already?
Anyway plans are quite big, money is first thing and there is always lack of it, but I believe the next few years will let us to make one of the greatest arms and armour exhibition in Europe
Regards!
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:01 AM   #9
wolviex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I ALSO LIKE TO SEE AS MANY EXAMPLES OF DIFFERENT WEAPONS AS POSSIBLE WHICH CAN BE DONE WITHOUT LOOKING CLUTTERED IF ARRANGED IN PATTERNS AS IN OLD MUSEUM EXHIBITS.
I agree with that, I belive you mean i.e. panoplies full of weapons on the wall . I like it too and I believe there will be some especially if there is to many common weapons to show individually in showcases.

Old 23rd May 2006, 02:42 PM   #10
IainN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviex
IainN: I really appreciate your contribution, and I agree with most what you wrote. But reality is cruel and many things are just impossible or very hard to get. DAYLIGHT is great, as natural source. But unfortunatelly it is deadly for many objects like textiles, paper and lately even Japanese lake. So it is not possible to keep it on many exhibitions. Present exhibition is full of daylight (thought because of uniforms it shouldn't be) and there is other problem of reflections on showcase glass - you can hardly see what is inside, and taking pictures is just a horror. So artificial light is the only solution, I think.
As you, I like to have possibility to see objects from all possible sides, and I wouldn't like to change it because many objects on present exhibition is presented that way. But some of them are "mounted on a red fabric background"
We have already very detailed objects descriptions - well don't we have almost perfect exhibition already?
Anyway plans are quite big, money is first thing and there is always lack of it, but I believe the next few years will let us to make one of the greatest arms and armour exhibition in Europe
Regards!
Hi Michal,

I understand that issues surround having natural light on the displays, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression it was not an issue so much for wood and iron/steel? Perhaps displays of just weaponry could be exhibited in the naturally lit areas? However you obviously have the technical knowledge to know what's possible here. I'm just a museum goer.

My only other thought right now is perhaps looking into anti-reflection glass? A quick google search brought up this company http://www.denglas.com/, but perhaps you are already considering this. Unfortunately I believe it is quite expensive.

As I said before, I'm quite looking forward visiting Krakow this fall, is the Muzeum Narodowe W Krakowie the museum under discussion?
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:09 PM   #11
wolviex

IainN: you have PM

Glasses are quite expensive, but this will be mixed gallery, and weapons we will show weapons with uniforms and other light-fragile objects I suppose.

Have anyone else bad or good memories from other museums? Please share. You don't have to mention their names, just overall suggestions. Thanks
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Mark

Thumbs up

You have a great project going here, Michal.

Expanding on IaianN's suggestion of walk-around cases - a set up such as there is presently, while maximizing the use of the space and making possible "front-and-back" display, makes for very poor traffic flow IMO. You end up bumping into people going in and out of the alcoves, even with a fairly light crowd. I suggest orienting the cases length-wise (or at least allow room to go completely around a horizontally-oriented case), so that one can walk up and down isles (or zig-zag). I would not exclude the use of wall cases for those items that are essentially the same front and back (such as banners, and many swords). Panolpies are interesting and dramatic, but I find that sometimes they are overwhelming if they are too large, and/or placed too far way to see well the individual pieces. To me the most important thing is to be able to press my face up against the glass for a few minutes and really study the piece.

Lighting. I don't know enough about the physics of it, but I know that it is the UV which is the most damaging to things like leather, cloth and ivory. The heat generated by direct sunlight is another issue, but that can be addressed with cooling I think, or as I see you have already done, by making windows semi-opaque, which makes for better lighting anyway). Can the damaging effect of sunlight be eliminated, or at least lessened, by putting a UV filtering coating on the windows, and using UV filtering glass (or coating) on the display cases? Otherwise, I agree that the windows need to be covered. Wood can be seriously damaged, both by fading and on a basic structural level, by UV light. You should see the hardwood floors in my house where I haven't put in shades yet.

I like the mix of content you propose, but don't have any specific suggestions, since I don't know much at all about the area/period isn't. I can say that I like to see things displayed in an historical way, so that you can see the evolution or development of weapons almost as a progessing story, in addition to the variations present in a particular period. And part of what I mean is that as much as possible have the spectrum of items of a particular type displayed this way (for example, sabres together to show their progression, showing the changing uniform types, harness, etc.). Having some full mock-up displays pulling everything together could be a way of showing how all of the equipment would work together - like a mannequin or stand of a fully-armed infantryman, or a mounted Hussar - but I would not use this as a way of presenting any basic material since the individual items get lost somewhat the mix. I like Barry's suggestion that the weapons of enemies also be displayed in the same context.

There are some photos of the set-up of the History of Steel exhibition in the sticky thread above, and Antonio has posted some more photos/links on his forum here. You can see the idea of the traffic flow, though they did use a wall-mounting approach. Everything is arranged by general culture/geographic area, and within each section the items are grouped in a logical progression of style and form, within each cultural sub-class as much as possible, and to show how they might have influenced each other. For example, Andrew, Ian and I arranged the Continental Southeast Asian section by grouping the items according to the most distinct cultural divisions - Burman, Kachin, Shan/Tai Yuan, Southern Thai, Cambodian, etc., then within each division arranged the items as best we could according to age and/or to show a progression or inter-relationship of style. Wherever possible, stylistic transitions between the divisions was emphased. I think the lighting for the exhibition was very well done - having the room quite dim and the displays lit against a black background so that the focus is completely on them without distractions, and making them appear to almost float in the space.

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 23rd May 2006 at 03:44 PM.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:52 PM   #13
wolviex

Thank you Mark for your outstanding contribution. Let me answer you in few points:

1. "Walk-around-cases" are OK if arranged in proper places, just like it is now. There is a lot of space for people. Not everything you can show that way, many objects still are and will be attached to the back of the case, some of them placed in cases build to the wall, so the idea is fine but, as everything, with restrain and logically thinking. This rule has to be apply to everything - few panoplies of carefully chosen items, but not to much to avoid monotony. Each case should be arranged very carefully too, to show what is most important and point out the most spectacular details, etc.

2. Scenes with mannequins - for me necessary in modern exhibition - especially on permament one. This is the way to create the vision and illustration for history. In my plans there will be two or three such places - hussars on the horses - similiar to those mounted knights from MET - on the middle of the room, three or four mannequins with one led horse for hetman's caparison. Second with 19th century uniforms - probably Polish uprising 1830, but I was thinking about Napoleonic period too - that remains to be seen. Third is very uncertain, but maybe we will be able to do something for Oriental rooms. So these scenes will be only strong points but not superior. Rest of the objects on the walls, in the cases some of them on the loose like on the present exhibition (see picture)

3. UV filters - we've got it already, in other way all the uniforms couldn't be exposed. But sometimes it isn't enough. Most of the uniforms are made in 19th century (1st half) and natural pigments/dyes are very strong - we didn't found any signs of discolour except one trousers, which are later (we didn't knew it was later, discolour reveal that ). But modern fabric used for coat the case is copletly discoloured - so UV filters are not enough!!!

4. There are two trends in museums nowadays. First, from the last few decades, is focused on showing very systematize exhibitions - sabres with sabres, arranged in very proper way from the oldest, showing all aspects of development, etc. Uniforms with uniforms, etc etc, just like you mentioned about your work on "History of steel" exhibition ( I saw some of the pictures already). Second trend is returning to 19th century-like arrangement - in short - great gathering of objects, just to show the splendour, to attract visitors with one exception - not to mix objects from different periods and countries (until it is based on some other idea). The problem is to find compromise between those two ways.

There are many many problems, we (I'm not working alone fortunately) have to find a way to show many aspects of history, war, art, etc

What do you suggest for educational planches - My proposal is: basic ones showing construction of weapons, plus some more about way of making and decorating arms, with some explanation of terms like niello, etching etc. What else - your suggestions?....

What do you find necessary to entertain people on exhibition like this (according to the popular rule "to entartain and learn"). Multimedia like TV, computers with battles reconstructions?, to give a possibilty to shoot from crossbow (it's prohibited weapon ), or to hold rapier/sabre/pallash thanks to "don't-know-what-and-how-yet" technical solution (there is always a danger someone would like to test a weapon on mother-in-law, wife or surrounding - so the question would be, how to protect it). I'm courius what are your ideas.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviex
What do you find necessary to entertain people on exhibition like this (according to the popular rule "to entartain and learn"). Multimedia like TV, computers with battles reconstructions?, to give a possibilty to shoot from crossbow (it's prohibited weapon ), or to hold rapier/sabre/pallash thanks to "don't-know-what-and-how-yet" technical solution (there is always a danger someone would like to test a weapon on mother-in-law, wife or surrounding - so the question would be, how to protect it). I'm courius what are your ideas.
Thanks
Michal,

I think the most engaging displays involve as many senses as possible, not just vision. Sound and touch can be very effective.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you pipe in period music for each display (although appropriate background music is always nice), but perhaps offer visitors the option of hearing recorded descriptions of some exhibits. Wireless transmitters for headphones are available and probably not too pricey.

I imagine handling authentic antique weapons is really not an option. However, there are fantastic replicas available now. Giving visitors the ability to handle well-made replicas of displayed items can really contribute to the overall experience. Edges can always be rebated for safety.

How many times have we all seen someone pick up a sword and exclaim in suprise how light it was?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 05:28 AM   #15
VANDOO
(deceased)

SOME ARMS MUSEUMS HAVE A MOCK UP OF A OLD FORGE AS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DURING THE PERIOD. TOOLS AND MATERIALS WERE THERE WITH DESCRIPTIONS AS WELL AS WEAPONS IN VARIOUS STAGES ALL DESCRIBED AS TO USE AND TECKNIQUES USED DURING MANUFACTURE. I HAVE ALSO SEEN A SHORT FILM WITH SOUND SHOWING AND DESCRIBING THE ACTUAL WORKINGS OF A OLD STYLE FORGE AND ALSO SHOWING SOME MODERN FACTORY TECKNIQUES.
SOME PATRONS WILL WATCH A SHORT FILM AND OTHERS NEVER DO, SO I WOULD PROBABLY KEEP THEM TO A MINIMUM. STRANGELY ENOUGH I THINK MOST MUSEUM VISITORS ARE MORE LIKELY TO READ THE INFORMATION THAN SIT AND WATCH ALL THE WAY THRU A FILM.
COLLECTORS AND SCHOLARS OF EDGED WEAPONS WOULD PROBABLY HANDLE A SWORD PROPERLY AND SAFELY BUT I SHUDDER TO THINK OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC WAVING THEM AROUND . I WOULDN'T WANT THE JOB OF BEING CLOSE TO SUPERVISE A BUNCH OF WANT TO BE CONANS HANDELING SWORDS I AM SURE EVERYONE WOULD ENJOY HANDELING THE WEAPONS BUT UNTIL WE CAN COME UP WITH THE TECKNOLOGY TO DO IT SAFELY FOR THE PEOPLE AND THE WEAPONS WE WILL HAVE TO LEAVE THAT TO THOSE WITH THE KNOW HOW. THE ONLY PLACE I KNOW OF WHO WAS GOING TO DO IT WAS THE EWART OLKSHOT MUSEUM YOU MIGHT CONTACT THEM AND SEE HOW THEY DO IT. I HAVEN'T GOT A CHANCE TO VISIT THE OLKSHOT MUSEUM HAS ANYONE VISITED AND WHAT DID YOU THINK?
PERHAPS VIDEO GAME TECKNOLOGY ALREADY EXHISTS THAT COULD BE ADAPTED FOR USE IN MUSEUMS TO INSTRUCT HOW THESE WEAPONS WERE USED AND BATTLEFIELD TACTICS (EXCLUDING THE GORE FOUND IN MOST OF THE GAMES) THAT WOULD PROBABLY APPEAL TO THE YOUNGER GROUPS WHICH OFTEN MAKE UP A SIGNIFICENT PART OF THE VISITORS PER YEAR.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 12:49 PM   #16
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Michal:

Just a couple of observations based on a recent visit to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois. This is a completely new museum with considerable financial backing. It opened about a year ago.

Some of the displays were stunning and the use of electronic media was particularly impressive. One display featured a "modern" U.S. television coverage of a presidential election as it might have been in 1860 when Lincoln was running for President the first time. Current, well recognized political newscasters provided analysis of the four main candidates.

But the display that really caught peoples' attention was the Civil War Map. This is a large digital map of the U.S. at the time of the Civil War showing the Union and Confederate territories. Audio sound effects match what is happening on screen. It presents a timeline of the War, with the battle lines moving backwards and forwards over time. Battles are highlighted with on screen explosions at the various sites (plus sound effects), and the timeline marches forward. On one side of the display were digital counters of the Union and Confederate casualties -- these ticked over at amazing rates, even during winter when the fighting was dormant. The winter casualties reflected deaths from disease and malnutrition. Diseases (dysentary, malaria, pneumonia, etc.) claimed more lives than battle casualties.

Just a few thoughts about electronic media that might be interesting.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 08:30 PM   #17
Tim Simmons

Wolviex, In the very early 1980s when I was struggling to find artistic employment I did just over a years registrar work, pen and ink illustration of the artifacts, I imagine it is all digital now. In the then Museum of Mankind, the African department. The collection is now back at the main British Museum and the Museum of Mankind, a lovely museum is no more.

I am old fashioned and the pictures of your museum are how I like things. There will always be some problems with display. Some objects will have to be seen from only one or two angles. I am not keen on interaction or noisy things, I feel they belong somewhere else. I think you cannot beat just simply showing what you have to the best of your budget.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 08:48 PM   #18
IainN

To echo Tim, I also am not a fan of the computer displays in galleries. I find they tend to jam traffic and usually are dominated by small children who insist on playing the same sound effect over and over and over... Of course it would be possible to develop computer displays that are more information oriented and less "noise and blinking lights".

The other suggestion would be to maybe have a station where visitors could handle replica artifacts (previously discussed I know), some museums use volunteers to man these stations to reduce the chance of mishap from someone getting clonked on the head by a blunt. I remember one museum I visited a long time ago in Scotland where they had a room devoted to costumes and weapons you could handle. There was allot of space. If possible I think this is important because some museums seem to put in such replica displays as an afterthought and it tends to be very crowded around a small area.
Old 24th May 2006, 10:39 PM   #19
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default What do you want to accomplish?

Michal:

I think the advice you are receiving here is all good. Our perspectives reflect different audiences. What we, as collectors, would like to see is not necessarily what is going to draw the vast majority of visitors to your displays. There are perhaps a few tens of thousands of edged weapons enthusiasts worldwide, compared with many millions of museum attendees. What is your target audience?

Many museums tailor their displays to all ages, but increasingly to children (and their parents) and young adults. This means keeping pace with the current trends, and technology is one of the current trends.

If your goal is to please a bunch of old guys, like Tim and me, then stay with the traditional displays. If you want to appeal more widely, go with a mix of new and traditional methods.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 08:53 AM   #20
wolviex

Thank you very much!!! I especially like the ideas from other museums, there is always something to learn, even if not for use on my field.
Ian, Tim and IainN: there won't be any shouting, dazzling computer screens with games and gore . We will keep high standarts, but because our are visitors are from 5-150 years old we will find solution for everyone. Computers will be helpful to show simulations, or great zooms for chosen objects worth to show, because not always you're able to see everything through the glass. There is more ideas around it. What is my imagine, is to create exhibition where beside cases with weaponry in classical arrangment will be many other interesting and attracting places. Something what will be always nice to see, will catch the eye, will be surprising etc. Those big groups like hussars or fighting army are only few strong points. Other will be smaller like the general's desk with maps and candles to create special atmosphere, or small bivouac with soldiers around canteen, carabines not one by one but standing in pile crossed with barrels, panoplies, etc etc. But around will be classical presentation, because essential aspects are and will be most important.
These is many work for few great minds . I and my collegues won't make it alone, we will probably create a team with people from different branches: architect, interior decorator, scenographer, programmer - because those people will have other ideas we even don't know they're existing.

vandoo: thank you. The idea on showing present or old forge techniques is good, and we already thought about it . I agree there shouldn't be too many tv screens and movies - it's not the cinema but museum. I also liked the Ian's note about digital map!

I'm waiting for more of your museum experiences and ideas. You're really helpful so far and I belive it will open my mind wider for new conceptions, thought it will be few years till we will start reconstruction!
Old 25th May 2006, 04:43 PM   #21
Mark

I recall now a small exhibition that went through the Smithsonian several years ago, called "Vikings: the North Atlantic Saga." It had a very nice combination of artifacts, clothing (reproduced of course), tools and weapons. I thought the way the displays were set up was very good, and the accompanying captions and larger text displays were well presented as well. What made me think of it was Ian's comment about the forge, as they had both a forge and a display about smelting techniques. The catalogue (same title) is available from their on-line store (http://www.smithsonianstore.com/cata...s&wtl1=vikings) and Amazon.com.

I have some photos of the exhibition itself, which I will try and find. They are on a CD somewhere in my files.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:10 PM   #22
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew

I imagine handling authentic antique weapons is really not an option. However, there are fantastic replicas available now. Giving visitors the ability to handle well-made replicas of displayed items can really contribute to the overall experience. Edges can always be rebated for safety.

How many times have we all seen someone pick up a sword and exclaim in suprise how light it was?
I couldn't agree more, viewing these objects is not enough. We are all creatures that rely on information gathered by ALL our senses, it adds to the experience and enhances memory recall. A sure fire way of making a museum popular and educational is to involve your audience.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote