Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th November 2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default How many of the katars we know were court katars?

Before I show any katars, I would like to know what the members think.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 01:27 AM   #2
Kubur

It depends how you judge a "court katar", if it's by the precious stones or the inscriptions on it.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 03:23 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

One thing would be artistic gold koftgari? Lots of plain gold koftgari might indicate a later application.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 07:42 AM   #4
mariusgmioc

Hello Jens,

In my oppinion there is no such a thing as "court katar!" This is a made up term that was invented and is used by some art dealers to make their katars more saleable.

As with regards to decorations, from all that I know, even the rajas used rather plain katars and saved the lavishly decorated ones for dress and parade.

But that's only my "two cents."
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

You are right, I should not have written 'court katars', I should have written 'daily use katars', and maybe added 'of a better quality'.
The question was not very clear, as I meant to ask 'compared to real fighting katars'.
The fighting katars seem to be outnumbered, although they had many very big armies during centuries - sso maybe the fighting katars were the first ones to be melted down.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very astute observations placed here on the topic of katars, and as has been noted, some key qualifying factors toward classification. As Marius said, the bejeweled examples would seem to be reserved for illustrious wear during events where persons of high standing, up to and including royal figures.

As with most forms of weapon, the functional, less decorated examples would certainly have been used in the field, or on campaign. The 'court' classification would be a presumed category in most cases, unless the weapon has specified provenance, as has been noted.

As Jose has also well noted, later decoration which included that of gold koftgari, was often applied later. These circumstances could have been brought about for numerous reasons, some certainly for valid glorification of a favored weapon with important heritage, while others of course more marketable embellishment.

Jens, your study and collecting of katars, as far as I have ever known, surpasses any other such specialized work in the arms and armour community. It would be outstanding to see your examples here with your observations!!!
Please bring them on!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote