Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default Spanish cup-hilts and bilbos for naval use?

I know we have touched on this subject time and again, but I'm always curious as to other's opinions. AS a naval collector, I've always been drawn to the Spanish, Portuguese and Span colonial rapiers and broadswords of the period and their possible use at sea. Naval weapons used prior to the mid-18th century in all nations as far as specific patterns remains speculative.

-Consulting the experts, Rankin and Gilkerson do not touch upon these countries in their research. Neither does Annis.

-May's monumental two volume series mentions all about the naval power of Spain and Portugal, but mentions only the use of brass-hilted small-swords (without the colichemard blades preferred by other nval powers) being carried in the early/mid-18th centuries. As small-swords were typically a sign of rank on board ships, I am assuming these were strictly officer's swords and not what the common man would have access to in boarding/battle.

-Brinckerhoff deftly defines the forms of colonial weapons in his work, but goes on to say that colonial cup hilt rapiers were carried by foot-soldiers while the broadsword/bilbo types were carried by mounted troops. Again, no mention of what the greatest naval power in the world was carrying during their conquests. Where is the documentation of what they had access to??
His book goes on to show early 19th century Spanish cutlasses that copied both the French m1801/1833 pattern as well as brass-hilted small hangers, but this is past the time period of Spanish naval power. Interestingly, the classic short espada with it's side guard would have made an ideal sea weapon, resembling the hangers popular with other naval powers of the time period. But in this, Brinckerhoff is firm; espada were used by the rancheros and horsemen of the plains as a weapon and machete-tool.

-This lead me to automatically speculate that without any other contender, the side-arm swords of the Spanish and Portuguese armadas had to be cup-hilt rapiers. Yet, Norman says in his book that the evidence of the time shows that the rapier was a civilian weapon only! Now this might not be true for privateers/pirates and the Spanish colonial provinces (Caribbean), but is so, what weapon is left?? I am told the Knights of Malta used cup-hilts on thier barges for raids, but have yet to find more proof.

-Naval weapons prior to the mid-18th century was an open free-for-all. There are documented weapons such as artillery swords, hangers, small swords, Scottish baskethilts, infantry swords, walloons, so-called Sinclaire sabers, etc, going to sea. With this in mond, I am still convinced that the typical sailor of the time-period, regardless of country, took with him what he knew and felt comfortable with. One of the main reasons Spanish sword forms lasted as long as they did (the bilbo, double guard configuration) was because of tradition and familiarity.

Long story short (my thesis- ):I do believe cup-hilts went to sea, but it would be nice if some better proof could be produced. I am going to do more research on portraits of the time period, likewise shipwreck research on recovered artifacts next to see if this sheds any light. In the meantime, how do you weigh in???
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote