Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st July 2015, 03:58 AM   #1
Steve

Default Help with Identification - interesting item

Hi guys,
I bought this because it was interesting and rediculously cheap. It was listed as a military belt but I think more likely a hunters belt. The belt itself is 37 inches long and consists of a large brass buckle, one nicely worked brass powder horn, one wooden powder horn ( probably some form of seed pod), one leather pouch with niello work and one conical leather pouch with coins. I don't know where the coins are from but they are dated 1281AH ( 1864 CE) so that the whole unit is not older than that.

Any comments on where the belt set is from and particularly what the two pouches could be used for. A heavy substantial item.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 04:18 AM   #2
A.alnakkas

Hey Steve,

A nice belt, not exactly my field (not yours as well, my friend!) but the coin says Afghanistan, Think AJ will be best to read though. A nice belt!
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 05:16 AM   #3
AJ1356

This is somewhat of a modern belt mostlikely used for hunting. Muzzle loaders were used in Afghanistan for hunting till very recently. The coins are from the time of Zaher Shah, the last king of Afghanistan that ruled from early 1930s to early 1970s, they are probably 1 or 5 Afghani peices. An intersting item, oh and I almost forgot, is that neilo work I see on that brass plate?
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Steve

Thanks AJ and Lotfy. Yes, not may area of expertise. I forgot to mention that I have not repaired or even cleaned this item. Posted just as received.
Afghanistan, yes, as it came from a US military base somewhere. I just couldn't find out where.
The early 1900's is also probably right - even the dress of the Shah on the coins looks 1900's. The coins are a little over 1 inch in diam.
And the brass cover on the flat pouch does have niello work.

Any guesses on what the sewn conical pouch with coins could be used for, the base of the cone is over 6 inches so this is not a small item?

The belt buckle is also a serious statement - unfortunately not silver.
Old 31st July 2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Andreas

The early 1900's is also probably right - even the dress of the Shah on the coins looks 1900's.

The date on the coin is 1381=1961 Gregorian
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Steve

OK just to complete the picture this is the belt buckle. It has eyelets top and bottom so it may be missing some pieces or it has been made to be adapted or it has come from another piece of jewellery??
I think we have now got the date and geographic area nailed.
Attached Images

Old 31st July 2015, 11:58 AM   #7
David R

Nice item, I had something similar a few years ago but swapped it on for some other stuff. Not at all sure now that I did the smart thing.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 01:02 PM   #8
AJ1356

The conical pouch I wold think would be for carrying musket balls. the coins are for decoration.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
OK just to complete the picture this is the belt buckle. It has eyelets top and bottom so it may be missing some pieces or it has been made to be adapted or it has come from another piece of jewellery??
I think we have now got the date and geographic area nailed.

Salaams Steve...The huge pendant. This looks like the pendant worn by Turkomen ladies....with two small rings on the top edge for the neck chain and 7 or 8 on the lower edge for the danglers...converted to act as a central belt buckle. Many of the small glass beads...occasionally carnelian are missing. Type into web Turkmen Jewelery ..There are scores of different shapes but you will get the idea...even if like me you cannot find the exact oval shape... I can assure you when I was in Kabul I had a dozen in my hand....with all the danglers intact.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st July 2015 at 06:35 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote