Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st March 2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Vikingsword Seminar 2011

Hi all

Just wanted to say that I had a blast Saturday night at the seminar and dinner. I wanted to thank Stephen Gracie for his wonderful lecture on Yemeni jambiya. I also want to thank Michael Blalock for lecture on Arab swords and the other members for bringing such lovely pieces for the table displays. As always many thanks to Artzi and Avner for their sponsorship of the seminar. Until next time guys wishing you all a great year.

P.S. If anyone took pictures can you please post them.

Thanks

Lew

Last edited by Lew; 21st March 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
A.alnakkas

I would love to see video's or hear audio's of this. The info will be valuable to beginners like me.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I would love to see video's or hear audio's of this. The info will be valuable to beginners like me.

A.alnakkas

Stephen published an outstanding book on Yemeni jambiya and culture it should be available soon.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:06 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
A.alnakkas

Stephen published an outstanding book on Yemeni jambiya and culture it should be available soon.
I am lucky enough to already have a copy of Steve's book. It is a truely amazing publication, and I would recommend it to all interested in the subject of Yemen and Yemeni Jambiyas.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

I trust all that attended this year's Timonium Ethnographic Arms and Armour seminar found it fully up to expectations and standards.

I would like to remind all that this seminar exists only due to the deep commitment and support provided for it by Artzi Yarom and Avner Yarom of Oriental Arms and I would also like to reiterate my appreciation and thanks to them for making this happen.

If you were not there (and even if you were), you may get much of the flavor and substance of Stephen Gracie's presentation from his recently (2010) privately published (yemenjambiya@gmail.com) book Jambiya: Daggers from the Ancient Souqs of Yemen. Richly illustrated and all in color - except, obviously, for a few historical images - and with finely rendered details, you will be wanting this for your library if you have any interest at all in jambiya; the majority of the copies brought to the seminar were sold, although I believe a few have been left in Oriental Arms' stateside inventory.

The Yemeni theme was carried through with a fine presentation by Michael Blalock on Yemeni and Omani swords. Unfortunately I have no book reference to make up for those who missed this presentation and the accompanying opportunity to examine some of Michael's fine collection. Hopefully some pictures will be forthcoming in this thread.

I would like to thank both of our podium speakers as well as to thank those members taking the time and trouble to bring along and share items from their collections: Lew set out a display consisting predominantly of African clubs, while Emanuel Nicolescu had some fine old flyssa for up close examination and Charles Saunders laid out a fine and diverse selection of Indo-Persian axes.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Emanuel

Hi everyone,

It was nice to finally connect faces to names. I was also struck by the size of the show and the excitement of the auction. I will definitely try to attend the seminar on a regular basis.

Many thanks to Arzi Yarom and forum staff for a wonderful event and thanks to Steven and Michael for very interesting presentations.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:56 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL
THANKS AGAIN TO ORIENTAL ARMS FOR ORGANIZING THE GATHERING AND FOOD (YUM!!) AND TO THE PRESENTERS VERY INFORMATIVE AND ENJOYABLE AS USUAL. THERE WERE PLENTY OF WEAPONS TO ENJOY AND HANDLE AND EVEN MORE LATER AT THE AUCTION SO WE ALL KEPT BUSY.
ITS ALWAYS GREAT TO VISIT WITH OLD FRIENDS AS WELL AS MAKE A FEW NEW ONES. THE WEAPONS SHOW WAS VERY GOOD AND THE WEATHER WAS EXCELLENT NO COLD AND RAIN AS HAS BEEN THE USUAL. THANK GOODNESS FOR GLOBAL WARMING KEEP IT COMING AND EVERYONE WILL NOT HAVE TO MOVE TO FLORIDA WHEN THEY GET OLD.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 05:30 PM   #8
rickystl

Default Timonium

I would like to thank Lee Jones, the Forum Staff, and Oriental Arms for sponsoring the Seminar and Dinner. As well, the displays and meeting everyone was great!! I sent a email to Artzi Yarom to personally thank him for the Dinner and for bringing along three items I purchased from his Web-Site catalog. He is very much the gentleman.
This was my first trip to Timonium. Talk about a fast and furious weekend. Flew in to Baltimore Friday afternoon, rented the car, drove to the hotel in Timonium, had dinner, went to bed. Saturday: Spent the whole day at the show, previewed the Auction items, attended the Seminar and Dinner, participated in the Auction, and finally got to bed about 1:00AM. Sunday: Back to the show, drove back to Baltimore, dropped off the rental car, hopped on a plane back to St. Louis - with four new toys in my suitecase .
I tried to do it all. I got home about 7:00PM Sunday night. My legs and feet sore from two days walking through every isle at the Show - at least twice - looking for Middle Eastern type arms. Talking about a kid in a candy store. That Show is a dangerous place for me to wander around in. The whole weekend went by like one day. What a fun time. I'll be back next year. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:25 PM   #9
CharlesS

It's always a great time and this year was no different. Great company, interesting talks and displays, and good food. I hate waiting another year!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote