Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Jazz

Default Holy Grail

What would be the holy grail on moro weapons? i understand that each sword, whether it'd be a kriss, a barong, or a kampilan, are unique by itself, but there's got to be that one type that every collectors would want to have in their collection as the ultimate piece. What I'm trying to say is, for instance, the kriss: would one of those with the hugh ivory cockatoo be considered as the holy grail for this type of sword? Or would something that has a definite provenance, like knowing for sure who owned it originally would be THE holy grail? I was reading Cato's book again and i noticed that there's a kriss and a barong that has gold ferrules on both of them and this is how this topic came to mind. would those two be the holy grail on their respective type of sword?
I noticed that there's a lot of moro sword collectors here that has excellent pieces. What would be your definition of the holy grail? A picture to go with it would be great, so we can all drool, hehe...
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Holy Grail

Jazz,

These are my Holy Grail items in the links below.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=pershing+moro

Bob Fulton has shed some wonderful light on this Kampilan and with the help of Jeff Pringle running down leads provided by Bob, the evidence is compelling but more on that another time.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=pershing+moro

My other Holy Grail item.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

For Moro weapons, most would want a junggayan barong and kris, both with ivory and gold, and even rarer would be an ivory kampilan with gold (mine is ivory but no gold).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
For Moro weapons, most would want a junggayan barong and kris, both with ivory and gold, and even rarer would be an ivory kampilan with gold (mine is ivory but no gold).
All very nice but you forgot the addition of twistcore
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

OH yeah, good point (like the one on top of my head )!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 02:39 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

I SUPPOSE THE KAMPILLIAN USED BY LAPU LAPU TO KILL MAGELLAN, WITH GOOD AUTHENTIC PROVENANCE ALONG WITH OTHER TROPHYS FROM THE VICTORY BOUGHT FROM THE DESENDENTS OF LAPU LAPU WOULD BE A HOLY GRAIL OF SORTS.
HIGH END EXAMPLES FROM CATOS BOOK WOULD ALSO QUALIFY.

AUTHENTIC PROVENANCE IS MORE RARE THAN THE WEAPONS WE COLLECT SO ANY WEAPON WITH INFO AND THE MORE ACURATE INFO THERE IS THE BETTER.
QUALITY, PRICE, MATERIALS USED TO MAKE IT ,IF IT CAN BE ASSIGNED TO A FAMOUS MAKER OF WEAPONS OR TO A PERSON OF NOTE SUCH AS ROYALTY ALL PLAY A PART

ON A INDIVIDUAL LEVEL IT MAY BE THE THING WE ARE MOST FOND OF.

PERHAPS BECAUSE OF HOW AND WHERE WE FOUND IT OR IF IT IS OUR FIRST OR A GIFT FROM SOMEONE WE CARE ABOUT OR SOMETHING WE SEARCHED FOR FOR 50 YEARS AND FINALLY GOT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote