Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 01:49 PM   #2
silberschatzimsee

Was in Verdun 2 years ago. Very sad.
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Remember La Lyz (April 1918). The greatest Portuguese military disaster since the battle of Ksar-el-Kebir in 1578 !
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 03:08 PM   #4
corrado26

A Time for Reflection? This you have to tell the world wide weapons industry which feeds lots of wars around the world increasingly.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #5
fernando

Haven't you got it wrong, Corrado ?
Old 11th November 2018, 04:48 PM   #6
ariel

Wars are not made by manufacturers of weapons.
They are made by politicians, wounded national/religious ambitions and pure greed. To eliminate wars one would have to transform the entire mankind into ethereal angels.

Which may happen after the next World War.....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Perhaps this is Neither the Time Nor the Place!
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 11th November 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:17 PM   #8
kahnjar1

11.11.11 WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 11th November 2018 at 09:27 PM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 04:38 PM   #9
ariel

Perhaps, in retrospect, it was the most consequential war: millions of dead for no good reason except for the German wish to become an European hegemon and the unwillingness of Britain and France to allow it, 4 Empires destroyed, peculiarly fratricidal one ( German, Russian and British rulers were cousins), and the ultimate results was the mutation of Germany into a Nazi state and of Russia into a Stalin's Gulag with the horrifying WWII being an inevitable outcome occuring only less than 20 years after " the war to end all wars"....

We are still living with the consequences of the disastrous decisions of European rulers in August 1914....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 05:51 PM   #10
fernando

Watch how this develops !
Old 13th November 2018, 03:20 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

I always thought it was a crazy and senseless war. But I also admit that I am on this side of that world culture.

The soldiers did their jobs and best.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 04:27 AM   #12
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Perhaps, in retrospect, it was the most consequential war: millions of dead for no good reason except for the German wish to become an European hegemon and the unwillingness of Britain and France to allow it, 4 Empires destroyed, peculiarly fratricidal one ( German, Russian and British rulers were cousins), and the ultimate results was the mutation of Germany into a Nazi state and of Russia into a Stalin's Gulag with the horrifying WWII being an inevitable outcome occuring only less than 20 years after " the war to end all wars"....

We are still living with the consequences of the disastrous decisions of European rulers in August 1914....
Not quite as simple a cause as described by ariel but rather than re state what Wiki says, here is the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I As you will read, there were several events which eventually lead to the wider conflict.
Stu
Old 13th November 2018, 11:31 AM   #13
fernando

Well folks, i don't know of any war that is not senseless, crazy and cruel. As i see it, there are no senseful, wise or merciful ones. In other words, there are no good wars. But of course, these are perspectives. However we can tell that Norman's perspective in opening this thread is to remember the date of the 1st. Great War ephemeries as a sad event. Dissecting its political ingredients is a problematic that may divert to a path of different kind, hence worthy of discussion in thematic warfare venues.

Here is the monument in my hometown.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 13th November 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 21st November 2018, 01:21 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While not wishing to belabor this most poignant thread and topic, I have regretted not making an entry here earlier. It is a delicate subject, and as has been noted the debates on war are far beyond the purpose here.What is key is to remember those who answered the call to duty and most importantly, those who never returned.

I watched a most moving film last night, "The Water Diviner", starring Russell Crowe. It is about an Australian father whose sons were lost in the tragedy at Gallipoli in WWI, and his desperate quest to find their remains and bring them home. It portrays the anquish of loved ones as they not only suffer loss, but the need for closure.

We must never forget them, all who were lost, regardless of the specific war, battle, event, or even nationality.....may they rest in peace.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 04:54 PM   #15
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

We must never forget them, all who were lost, regardless of the specific war, battle, event, or even nationality.....may they rest in peace.

Sentiments entirely in accord with the original post.

Thank you Jim.
Old 21st November 2018, 07:07 PM   #16
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
While not wishing to belabor this most poignant thread and topic, I have regretted not making an entry here earlier. It is a delicate subject, and as has been noted the debates on war are far beyond the purpose here.What is key is to remember those who answered the call to duty and most importantly, those who never returned.

I watched a most moving film last night, "The Water Diviner", starring Russell Crowe. It is about an Australian father whose sons were lost in the tragedy at Gallipoli in WWI, and his desperate quest to find their remains and bring them home. It portrays the anquish of loved ones as they not only suffer loss, but the need for closure.

Hi Jim,
I also have seen The Water Diviner....a very sobering subject, and IMHO a very well done movie, showing the horror of Galipoli.
Stu