Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th May 2016, 08:28 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default N American? Africa? weapon?

Just picked this interesting item. Sold as an African fly switch. However at 80cm long the wood end is quite substantial. I think enough so to work as a hammer club or even a pick. It is also not very ergonomic in form to be a fly switch in my eyes. Something about it seems not African to me. I searched AMNH database N America and Africa , still have hopes of America. I need to see it against other objects to get a better understanding of size and weight.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Pieje

I collect African weapons and ethnographica, but I have to admit that I've never seen something similar...it looks like a fly whisk, but very unusual.
Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Shakethetrees

Perhaps a fly which with a symbolic or talismanic adz below the grip for someone of rank?

I've never seen such a piece.

I don't think it's American, but African, Asian or maybe elsewhere.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Pukka Bundook

Tim,

It says African to me, but have never seen one like it!

Hope you can find something similar for comparison.

Best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 02:44 PM   #5
colin henshaw

Probably an African fly-whisk. The handle is very unusual, maybe a re-used staff top of some sort ?

I've sometimes seen Pacific fly-whisks with handles adopted from other objects, such as the turned and polished leg of a European chair, but the whisk part is normally made of sennit or feathers.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 03:36 PM   #6
drac2k

Possibly African is my guess; maybe a combination kitchen tool.It could be used to lift a pot off of a fire, that has a hot handle and where better to have a whisk to swat hungry flies than in an open kitchen.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Yes could be. The wood handle is quite large. It will be here soon. If it s too light to be a possible weapon then it should be move from this site section. In the time being if you search the American Museum of Natural History database for all words one can associate with the item in N America and Africa it gets less certain what is what. How about a horse tail spinkler with hook tool for a sweat lodge????
Old 26th May 2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Kubur

I think at a propulseur, from where I don't know...
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Good thinking Batman. should be here Tuesday.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:05 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Not trying to make a point but look at this rather basic Web site. There are possibilities listed here that could hint to an American origin , the far west, South West and basin. The mention of atlatl and battle hammer with a spike end. Though there does seem to be a slot to accept a projectile.

http://m.warpaths2peacepipes.com/nat...an-weapons.htm
Old 28th May 2016, 12:31 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tim:

That's an interesting item. Like others have already noted, I don't recall having seen another one like it.

As a possible spear thrower, there are many cultures that have used such a device (the Australian aboriginal woomera, the atiati of the Aztecs, etc.) and the Romans used leather slings for a similar purpose. However, it does not look right for an object designed to be a spear thrower. The man-made notch in the short protruding arm is upside down compared with the usual shape for holding a spear or similar projectile, while the "V" between the short and long arm is too rounded to reliably hold a spear.

Are you sure that the hair is from a horse. Would that not be unusual for Africa?

I don't know what it is, but its design does not strike me as an efficient spear thrower.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

I do not know if it is an atlatl or not just guessing. Interesting that the seller not being a weapon collector called it a fly swat club. So the wooden part must appear even to a novice heavy enough to suggest weaponry. It should be here soon.
Old 28th May 2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Pukka Bundook

Tim,

If it's any help, the Atlatl seemed to die out in N America when the bow came into use, (with some overlap of course) but the bow has been used for 2,000 years.
I think the hook part is too long and the way it is cut would weaken it as a spear -thrower, and then shaft looks thin for such a purpose as well.
The carving and wood look African still to me, and the hair looks wiry, like from a cow tail rather than horse. (horse-hair often straight)
Back -scratcher??
Of course, when you have it in hand you can judge better!

Best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:49 AM   #14
Roland_M

Hello Tim,

I think it is a fly whisk, symbolizing a man with an enormous large appendix. A symbol for a special delicate capability.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 03:29 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

The thread will need moving. It is amazing how pictures can tell different stories. It is a South African switch and head scratcher, not long enough for a back scratcher. It exquisite in its way, delicately carved deer foot light in hand, and looks as light as deer flight.
Attached Images