Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Flavio

Default Huge Moro kris

Hi all here is another addiction The base of the ganga is 15 cm and the piece is very heavy!! I think that was a true fighting kris. I love the red cloth
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Nice looking sword Flavio ; very interesting half-round greneng .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Flavio

Thank you Rick . yes the greneng is quite unusual, maybe of a simpler type for a "working" piece How should look like a scabbard for this kris? I'd like to try to make one in the future

Edit: this type of scabbard is the most simple kind (pic from Mr. Yarom's site)
Attached Images

Old 19th July 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio

Edit: this type of scabbard is the most simple kind (pic from Mr. Yarom's site)
Maybe it is the most simple kind, but I like this kind of scabbard.
It has the same shape of my first (and only) moro kris as you can see on the pics.
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Flavio

Beautiful Kris, Maurice, congratulations
Old 19th July 2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Maurice

Quote:
Beautiful Kris, Maurice, congratulations
Thanks Flavio!

Last edited by Javagolok; 19th July 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 08:47 PM   #7
kai

Hello Flavio,

Congrats, I'm very pleased that Roman's piece found a good new home!

IMHO a very nice Maguindanao kris: the blade is of Mindanao crossover style (according to Cato's classification) and the size of the blade combined with the simple hilt decorations and the one-piece asang-asang pretty much nails it AFAIK.

Quote:
the greneng is quite unusual, maybe of a simpler type for a "working" piece
It's nice work - I guess the carving style of most kris reflects more what has been agreed upon between panday and future owner (following local traditions and possibly including mystic symbolism) rather than wealth and status per se. BTW, this is one of the few Moro kris I've seen where the scroll work along the longer side of the gangya isn't mirrored or at least reflected at the shorter side.

Quote:
How should look like a scabbard for this kris? I'd like to try to make one in the future
The scabbard shown is a perfect fit for a Maguindanao kris. The outer side (not shown here) usually has an inserted wood notch which helps to hold the scabbard in the sash.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 19th July 2007 at 09:59 PM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 09:08 PM   #8
Flavio

Thank you Kai Sorry but I haven't well understand this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
BTW, this is one of the few Moro kris I've seen where the incisions along the longer side of the gangya aren't mirrored or at least reflected at the shorter side.
Old 19th July 2007, 09:52 PM   #9
kai

Hello Flavio,

I'm speaking of the carvings at the asymmetrical base of the kris blade (I'm trying to avoid the word "greneng"): Usually, you see the same or very similar motifs along both "edges"...

Regards,
Kai
Old 20th July 2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Flavio

Ah, yes Kai, now I understand, you mean the file works on the "head" of the "elefant" and the "greneng" area . Yeah, it's unusual to see different kind of decoration
Old 20th July 2007, 02:51 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Flavio,

I'm speaking of the carvings at the asymmetrical base of the kris blade (I'm trying to avoid the word "greneng"): Usually, you see the same or very similar motifs along both "edges"...

Regards,
Kai
Agreed, a bit unusual that there is no reflection of the style carried over.

It's a shame there is no Moro term (that I know of) to substitute for the word greneng .

Flavio, will you etch this piece ?
Old 20th July 2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Bill

Flavio, will you etch this piece ?[/QUOTE]
Have a feeling this blade won't etch. Have a couple of these large Mindanao fighting kriss; they most likely were re-cycled steel. It looks like a rough grit sandpaper was used to clean the blade. I'm also cautious about the hilt & fitting. While hilts from Mindanao often have "knob" hilts, all the big large ones I've seen had "horse's hoof". The fitting looks old but looks like it was cut to fit for the clamp. I'd just use some vineger on the blade to see if it will etch, if nothing else it will take some of the shine off.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Flavio

Hello Rick, I'm quite undecided to etch the blade. I can see some lamination in the sunlight, so the blade is not monosteel, but I really like also this shiny finish, so I don't know Bill I think that the handle is original to the blade: the ferrule is casting brass and at some point of its life was broken and not cut to re-fit, at least it's wat I can see. Also the dimension of the handle is good for the huge blade, thank you
Old 21st July 2007, 12:30 AM   #14
kai

Hello Flavio,

I was also going to suggest etching.

Leaving the a Moro blade in high polish would be akin to treating a genuine nihonto with warangan...

Regards,
Kai
Old 21st July 2007, 01:07 AM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Hello Rick, I'm quite undecided to etch the blade. I can see some lamination in the sunlight, so the blade is not monosteel, but I really like also this shiny finish, so I don't know Bill I think that the handle is original to the blade: the ferrule is casting brass and at some point of its life was broken and not cut to re-fit, at least it's wat I can see. Also the dimension of the handle is good for the huge blade, thank you
Hi Flavio,

If you can see the lamination in the blade as it is and you like the polish I think you should go with your instincts; after all the sword is yours .
Old 21st July 2007, 01:36 PM   #16
Flavio

Hello Rick and Kai, yes I will try an etching, since I have also another Moro kris that needs an etching and I will work on both.... I change idea easily
Old 21st July 2007, 08:20 PM   #17
Flavio

Well, I have etched the blade and maybe Bill is right seems monosteel, with hardened edges, but also there is a thin line in the middle of the blade (that is not the central rib) that maybe is still a sign of a very simple lamination? Could you see this thin line in the middle of the blade? ah, another thing: seems that for the first third of the blade (from handle) is simple monosteel and than start the hardened edges (the "working" part of the blade) The pictures are very bad, sorry
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2007, 05:48 PM   #18
Flavio

So what do you thik? is it monosteel? Thank you
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:56 PM   #19
kai

Hello Flavio,

Quote:
hardened edges, but also there is a thin line in the middle of the blade (that is not the central rib) that maybe is still a sign of a very simple lamination?
Well, the blade is pretty young (1900-1930) so there is a real chance that this was crafted from "modern" steel - nothing wrong with that if done with skill as the hardened edges suggest...

That central line does seem to be a forging line which may be worth following up upon: This may be case of overenthusiastic polishing (which tends to obscur lamination patterns) and several rounds of polishing by hand followed by etching may be able to tell more details about the bladesmith's approach. Since the blade has enough substance, I'd give it a try.

BTW, how did the staining worked with that other blade, Flavio?

Regards,
Kai
Old 23rd July 2007, 04:55 PM   #20
Flavio

Hello Kai, I was thinking to re-polished the blade since the result is not so exceptional.... at the end I liked also the shiny finish...
For the other Moro I will start soon a new thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:43 PM   #21
kai

Quote:
For the other Moro I will start soon a new thread
Am looking forward to!