Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Tired Old Sword

Here is another late 1890's (or maybe even earlier) short sword from Luzon showing heavy Spanish influence. It is in pretty rough condition but well worthy of a place of honor in my collection if for nothing other than still being here in one piece. The blade is 20-1/2 inches and overall the sword is 25-1/4 inches long. It has what is left of a carabao horn hilt with iron fittings and guard. The lXlXlXl talismanic markings (second picture) are still visible on the spine of the blade. These were the auction pictures and I hope to post better ones after it arrives. Comments are very welcome especially on possible age.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 1st March 2011 at 02:16 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
migueldiaz

Robert, nice old sword indeed! If it can only talk about its exploits ...

I'm still figuring out the patterns of these swords -- the manner of the spiral engravings on the hilt, the blade shape, the details of the S- and D-guards, etc.

At the moment I can't find any trend, much more good leads on which part of Luzon these come from. For sure if I stumble upon something I'll let everybody know
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Migueldiaz, This old warrior arrived today and has a very nice patina over all of the metal parts and the horn hilt is worn from years of handling. Overall the sword shows its age as well as signs of A LOT of use. The blades edge is covered with the scars of blade to blade contact. When I first saw this in the auction pictures I thought it was damage from rust. All of this damage seems to be very old. I too wish "If it can only talk about its exploits" as I believe it would be a fascinating story indeed. The original pictures above show this sword better than the ones I have taken so there is no reason to add them to the post. I have however added one more of the auction pictures that shows the contact damage too the blade. I would also like to thank you for your pictures showing the spiral engravings on the horn hilts. If you would like I could post pictures of the ones that I have in this style. Are all of the ones that you posted yours? Thank you again.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
migueldiaz

Hello Robert. Thanks for the additional pics. They surely deepen our understanding of the history of the sword.

On the pics I posted, yes they are all mine (and thanks to the forum members who allowed me to be their current steward).

That would be wonderful if you can post the pics of hilt with spiral engraving! I think we can establish a pattern once we have seen enough samples. For instance one outright distinction is the direction of the spiral (illustration attached). And then there's the wound wire. The design of the 'washer' of the peened tang can also be a factor (like some use the sunburst design).

Thanks again and best wishes.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote