Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Srange all metal Indian WW2 knife?

I got this knife, this morning at a boot sale, blade 22cm, handle 11cm. Forged and ground, silver/grey paint on the handle and sharp enough to cut your finger while cleaning with oil and steel wool. It cost less than a cup of tea so I bought it. While driving home I decided it was just some kind of industrial knife for cutting off waste material or flashing of some sort. To my surprise when cleaning two marks appear. The picture shows the marks looking up from the handle. What do you think ???? Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 15th October 2005 at 09:37 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Freddy

Question strange

Tim, strange piece you found. The markings resemble a bit the ones on a takouba, don't you think ?

But here's a knife I found quite some time ago. I really don't know what to think of it. I found it on ebay and judging by the picture, I thought it was a Maasai dagger.

The handle is made out of leather rings. The knife blade has a strong middle rib. The bottom of the handle is fitted with a small bolt (???). This knife hasn't been sharpened yet.

Is it the work of an amateur trying out his knifemaking skills ?... But the shape of the blade is good. Perhaps a modern African knife ? Any suggestions ?

Total length : 28 cm. Lenght of blade : 17 cm. Handle : 10,2 cm.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Hello Freddy, the marks do indeed look more North African than anything Indian, I think you are right. Possibly inspired by those military all metal or moulded grip knives in ww2, the maker knew what he was doing as the downward curve in the handle presents the sharp end most effectively.

Your knife really does look like a Massai knife, the blade looks well made even if finished in rather a hurried way. It might not be very pretty but cheap and functional. Some of these things may be older than one thinks. Belgium and the UK chased the Germans all over E Africa in ww1 all the armies especially the Germans were fighting miles from any supply lines and all had there own African auxiliaries. I am beginning to think that the appearance of nuts or screws in some pieces is not always a bad sign, after all industrial screw etc, have been around since the mid 19th century and even some of the most remote people could still be in touch with very extended trade networks. It is a shame these interesting knives have lost there scabbards they could say so much more. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote