Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Bill

Default 18C ivory hilt

finished on auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182
WOW, didn't even get my final bid out
Rick should be a happy man with the one he has, though this one looks like a real oldie.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Sajen

Indeed, WOW, don't think that it go high like this. I also bid on this, but the price is far away from what I can give. But I think it's a very nice kris.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Boy !

Judging from the crappy pictures this example approaches relic status .

I don't get the high price .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 03:06 AM   #4
ariel

Is it just my impression, or are the Moro weapons starting to command exceedingly high prices?
This one seems to beat all records, though....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Alam Shah

I took part in that auction, but the price went way off my comfort zone..
Someone wants it really bad.. oh well, moving on..
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:06 AM   #6
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Is it just my impression, or are the Moro weapons starting to command exceedingly high prices?
No, I agree... I think Moro swords are getting more and more hype, like but nowhere close to nihonto.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I certainly have noticed the trend in very high prices in every auction I have attended.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:32 AM   #8
asomotif

Quote:
Someone wants it really bad..
Probably 2 people that wanted it really bad.

You don't bid such amounts just for fun I guess.
Not a realistic price for a relic item IMHO
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,

IMVHO, nothing strange here. Just a general movement among peoples who were previously 'powerless' but are now endowed with more-than-adequate 'new' money. It means nothing to them. However, they use it to buy back their heritage (whatever they perceive that to be) which have been 'spirited' away and return them to their rightful places. Occurs in many sections of a vertical slice of society. I have observed it among the Russians, Arabs, Indians, etc.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Bill

IMO, these "18C" span a hundred years & likely, longer. This one appears to be 17thC, at least. It would be real interesting to x-ray to find out what the tang looks like. The hilt is a early form & might have been reserved for special status.
Hope it doesn't re-appear "updated", it really is a cultural relic.
I was going to bid low $500's for it. On one hand, I can't see bidding more & on the other, if it were mine, I wouldn't have sold it for what it went for.
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Aleksey G.

From what I can see from the pics and the look of the blade, especially with those two fullers (or more like lines) that extend almost full length of the blade, I would venture a guess that it has a nice twist core. Im hoping that a person who bought it,
if he/she is a member of this forum can show it to us after a good clean up.
Aleksey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:35 PM   #12
asomotif

Quote:
they use it to buy back their heritage
Hmmm
The buyer is located in the USA and over the last year he only sold items on ebay. not bought a single piece for more than a year with this account.

Based on this I don;t think this is "new money" buying back his heritage.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:20 PM   #13
ThePepperSkull

oh wow, that went for an insane price! I've seen some Datu/Jungggayan Kris go for much less. I wonder if this will soon become the norm.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:21 PM   #14
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Hmmm
The buyer is located in the USA and over the last year he only sold items on ebay. not bought a single piece for more than a year with this account.

Based on this I don;t think this is "new money" buying back his heritage.
perhaps not, but I can see where Amuk Murugul is coming from. It doesn't have to be a Moro selling his blade to a tourist who sells it to a collector, who ends up selling it on eBay.

It could be a Taiwanese person, who's got this old rusty ox-tail saber in his house... this thing has won his great great grandfather a duel, has been used in battles in the Taiping and Boxer rebellion, has been used to fight Japanese and Communists... has been used to slaughter Taiwanese people in 228... and now, somehow through a complex weave of marriages and gift-giving... has ended up in some Taiwanese business man's house. Well, he is moving soon to America, and he really doesn't care for weapons... especially old rusty ones with a history of killing killing killing killing killing... killing... selling the old sword might get him enough money to pay for the plane flight... one less thing to bring, and one "free" flight!

He could be Indian... could be Native American... could be Turkish... whoever, the sword is not valuable enough to be kept, other things take priority... the new culture has other means of expressing itself and status, the sword is useless to that person
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

If cleaned to bare metal I believe there would be a lot of heavy pitting left behind on what would be left of the blade .

Quite possibly better kept as it is .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 08:18 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

Seems crazy to me, none of this stuff is rare. Saying that there is a lot of stuff that is in reality frequently found from other places that people pay too much for. One just has to track the amount of very average Ulas on ebay, often nearly one a week and yet can still command silly prices.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:48 PM   #17
TVV

While the rarity of an object certainly figures into the price, it is only one of the elements that determine desirability. Certain weapons, even if relatively abundant compared to others, will command higher prices because of their artistic qualities, history and a special, symbolic meaning.

I would guess every collector has a favorite weapon type, which they can never have enough of. For me it would be a shamshir, for a friend of mine it is a yataghan, and for others it might be a kris. I would be willing to overpay for my favorite type, as long as I can afford the price.

It is pointless to try to define what is resonable or unreasonable with a hobby, which is by definition irrational.

Regards,
Teodor

P.S. I also tried to get a bid in just to make sure I did not miss out. By the time I was ready to confirm it, it did not even register.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:21 PM   #18
hideyoshi

Default Fullered 18th Century Moro Kris

I have seen a few examples of 19th Century Moro Fullered Krises with twisted core pattern, but never on 18th C. or earlier Moro Krises. It would be nice to see one.
Picked up this old Moro Kris a few weeks ago, nice dual fullering, but no twist core. The two archiac Moro Kris blades below with twist core pattern are much commonly seen.
Attached Images

Last edited by hideyoshi; 3rd September 2009 at 11:41 PM.
hideyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 01:01 AM   #19
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideyoshi
I have seen a few examples of 19th Century Moro Fullered Krises with twisted core pattern, but never on 18th C. or earlier Moro Krises. It would be nice to see one.
Picked up this old Moro Kris a few weeks ago, nice dual fullering, but no twist core. The two archiac Moro Kris blades below with twist core pattern are much commonly seen.
I agree, it's not likely to come back as a "twist core" as the buyer might be hoping.
What is your opinion as to age of the one in this thread as well as the one you posted.
Details will be appreciated.
Old 4th September 2009, 09:18 AM   #20
hideyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I agree, it's not likely to come back as a "twist core" as the buyer might be hoping.
What is your opinion as to age of the one in this thread as well as the one you posted.
Details will be appreciated.

Hello Bill,
Based on Cato's theory, the Moro Kris in this thread and the one I posted are very old, say 1700's. Also, the angle of the hilt is another indication, this style oftenly seen in older pieces (300 + yrs).
Here's another photo of the Moro Kris that I posted. enjoy

http://www.seegersystems.com/maro/origpics.html
hideyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote