Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd December 2015, 11:49 AM   #1
RobertGuy

Default Assegai

Recently purhased at auction an African Assegai up for comment.

Catalogue description:
Late 19th century Zulu assegai spear, double edged leaf shape blade with offset central rib. Polished wooden shaft with decorated top securing band.

My stats:
Weight: 12.7oz (0.36kg)
Length overall: 49.25'' (125cm) Blade: (to start of securing band) 10'' (25.5cm)
PoB: 16.5'' (42cm) from blade tip.

I always take Zulu attributions with a pinch of salt I'm not sure if anything about this spear shouts Zulu! It is certainly not the iconic iklwa but seems to be a combination stabbing and throwing spear. I find the spear head interesting in that it has a propeller like cross section rather than the more usual diamond with central rib. I've tried to illustrate this in the pictures. So some questions... Zulu or not?...likely date?...is the construction of the spearhead unusual? Thanks in advance, all help and comments gratefully received.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 22nd December 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Shakethetrees

An asymmetrically forged blade is more characteristicly from northern areas spreading out from the Sahel and south, east to west coasts.

I've not seen it on Zulu weapons, but wouldn't be surprised to.

One thing I've noticed in my pursuit of Zulu assegai is a small notch at the base of each edge filed into the shank. It can be very boldly done or very subtle, but if even a vestige of this notch is there, I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I don't ever recall ever seeing mention of this on the forum or in books.

Using my criteria, the asymmetrically forged blade with the base notch is an interesting variation.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 06:16 PM   #4
RobertGuy

Shakethetrees
Are these the notches you are referring to?
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Shakethetrees

Yes. A totally unnecessary bit of work for a well functioning spear, but there's probably a tradition or custom that dictates this is added.

It is more than just defining the junction of the blade and shaft, because I've seen this groove with file or abrasive stoning marks, so there is some deliberate work here. A vestigial indication of earlier forms or techniques.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:00 PM   #6
kronckew

robertguy's closeup of the blade/shaft transition was a bit fuzzy. i see now he's added clearer photos showing the distinctive zulu notch.

mine looks like the attached, tho my blade is of the more expected shallow diamond x-section. as noted, i also have not heard of zulu iklwa without the notches, and they all are tanged rather than socketed. the joint is usually re-enforced with wire work as in my case, or a degloved cow/calf tail skin applied wet then dried to a tight seamless fit.

edited: robert added clear photos of the notch as i was composing.

i've seen photos of zulu stabbing axes with the asymmetrical forging like yours on the blade.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:10 PM   #7
RobertGuy

Sorry duplicate post
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:17 PM   #8
kronckew

my zulu/shona isizence axe with similar forging on the blade. this is a 12.5 long toy or dancing axe, i'm still looking for a full sized one
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2015, 07:49 PM   #9
RobertGuy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
my zulu/shona isizence axe with similar forging on the blade. this is a 12.5 long toy or dancing axe, i'm still looking for a full sized one
You mean like this? I was going to post this up in a new thread but as we are on a roll here goes.

Catalogue description:
Late 19th century Zulu Axe bearded head with joining shaft. Polished wood ball ended handle which the joining shaft passes through. Lower handle cut with 7 small notches.

My stats:
Weight: 18oz (0.51kg)
Length of haft: 34.5'' (88cm) Blade: 8'' (20cm) Blade edge to haft: 6''(15m)
PoB: 10'' (25.5cm) from top of haft.

Thin blade section, very sharp. Blade joining shaft wedged into haft head with a metal wedge or nail. Slightly curved haft aligned to the cutting edge.

Again never sure of Zulu provenance. I understand that the Zulus didn't use war axes that much and that those they did use were often supplied by the Shona or other peoples. The Zulu axes I have seen seem to favour more angular blades.
I do have a question about this as well. The 7 small notches cut in the haft....crafty marketing ploy on the part of the craftsman who made this , or something more sinister?
Attached Images

Last edited by RobertGuy; 22nd December 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:51 PM   #10
kronckew

no, that's a fairly std. ceremonial axe. the one i'm after is the one with the green background below, or similar. i have a nice chevron shaped axe with a heavy battle blade, also below with the red background. it's been cleaned, rust stabilised, and oiled since.

the zulu demanded weapons from subjected tribes in tribute, so they did use a lot of shona/xhosa. shaka frowned on the use of axes in battle as he was trying to standardize on the iklwa for his regiments, much like roman legionaries were. a volley of throwing spears followed by an advance with short stabbing weapons was not just effective in rome, but in south africa as well. the axe, like the iwisa was relegated to mostly ceremonial use as a badge of authority at the time. older battle ones are harder to find.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd December 2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:42 PM   #11
kronckew

just found the stabbing isizenze i was looking for, should be with me in about a week

it has the asymetrical blade on it like the iklwa we started discussing earlier in the thread.
more photos & details in it's own thread
Attached Images