Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
BANTARU

Default Behold the Worlds only 9-ringer Khanjar!

Hey Everyone. Hope you are well. I am the terminator. lol

ok so I recently came into acquisition of the beautiful, old 9-ringer Khanjar, from the late-18th to early-19th Century. It has a Rhino horn hilt, silver and leather scabard.
Ive searched a lot online for pictures of original (by this I mean 'antique'. ofcourse new ones are original as well) Khanjars , but the maximum number of rings I found were 8, and even these were not so common.

ofcourse if you have come across 9-ringers, feel free to share the pics with me and disappoint me.
and ofc, I would like to hear your experienced opinions about this dagger.

so here are the pics. Ill take more later.
Attached Images

BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANTARU
Hey Everyone. Hope you are well. I am the terminator. lol

ok so I recently came into acquisition of the beautiful, old 9-ringer Khanjar, from the late-18th to early-19th Century. It has a Rhino horn hilt, silver and leather scabard.
Ive searched a lot online for pictures of original (by this I mean 'antique'. ofcourse new ones are original as well) Khanjars , but the maximum number of rings I found were 8, and even these were not so common.

ofcourse if you have come across 9-ringers, feel free to share the pics with me and disappoint me.
and ofc, I would like to hear your experienced opinions about this dagger.

so here are the pics. Ill take more later.
Salaams BANTARU ~ Interesting. Hmmm.... Oh welcome to the forum by the way...
This is an odd one... aren't they all? The 4 rings along the top forming the main belt section ~ and the biggest of the rings...in a straight line look original..so if I was looking for the added ring it has to be one of the others... Firstly this looks like an 8 ringer Muscat Khanjar not a Royal Khanjar though the scabbards are similar.. It looks like it has spent a decade or two in Salalah...in the mountains on a Jebali waist...but the additional 9th ring... who can tell...? Nice one ... it should clean up very nicely. I would be more cautious with the date ... 60 years old or 80 perhaps?

For a broad look at Khanjars see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...omani+khanjars

and an 8 ringer with similar design features see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...omani+khanjars

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 30th April 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 08:05 AM   #3
BANTARU

here are some more pics:
(there are 5 pics. please wait for them to upload)
Attached Images

Last edited by BANTARU; 2nd May 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
BANTARU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams BANTARU ~ Interesting. Hmmm.... Oh welcome to the forum by the way...
This is an odd one... aren't they all? The 4 rings along the top forming the main belt section ~ and the biggest of the rings...in a straight line look original..so if I was looking for the added ring it has to be one of the others... Firstly this looks like an 8 ringer Muscat Khanjar not a Royal Khanjar though the scabbards are similar.. It looks like it has spent a decade or two in Salalah...in the mountains on a Jebali waist...but the additional 9th ring... who can tell...? Nice one ... it should clean up very nicely. I would be more cautious with the date ... 60 years old or 80 perhaps?

For a broad look at Khanjars see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...omani+khanjars

and an 8 ringer with similar design features see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...omani+khanjars

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaam Wajah,

Thank You and for your opinion as well. The Hilt to me , looks like that of a UAE Khanjar. However, the designs on top of the hilt look different from the standard ones we see everyday. IT is possible that it belongs to Bedu, inhabiting the areas between Oman and the Trucial Coast. so he probably added the extra ring. but they all look original so maybe the Creator just thought of adding the extra ring. you never know what goes on in their minds.

how do I clean it exactly? what parts must I clean? also will it look better without the patina?
as to the date, yeahh its possible.
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaam Wajah,

Thank You and for your opinion as well. The Hilt to me , looks like that of a UAE Khanjar. However, the designs on top of the hilt look different from the standard ones we see everyday. IT is possible that it belongs to Bedu, inhabiting the areas between Oman and the Trucial Coast. so he probably added the extra ring. but they all look original so maybe the Creator just thought of adding the extra ring. you never know what goes on in their minds.

how do I clean it exactly? what parts must I clean? also will it look better without the patina?
as to the date, yeahh its possible.
Salaams BANTARU ...Some would advise not cleaning it at all so you retain all of the patina age and so on... Clean it all up is the other view... or half clean it. Personally I would have it sparkling because that how its done here... A dirty Khanjar would be the last thing an Omani would want to be seen with ... You can use any silver cleaner or clean it with toothpaste and toothbrush. The locals use a copper or brass wire brush which takes off the oxide and burnishes the silver. Feed the leather with saddle soap or any decent leather restorer. The point is that with silver it oxidises again fairly quickly and in a few months whatever cleaning you have done will begin to mellow so the patina comes back fast enough... then you may just want to highlight certain areas and switch to the occasional part clean/polish...

I don't think it has been crossed with another dagger... and it looks all Omani to me. You could chase the origin of this one all over the Oman but the general style looks like Muscat...though I have seen similar coming from the Mussandam and actually the Muscat Khanjar may have originated in the Sharqiyyah. ...

Its a nice though fanciful thought that a Bedu between Oman and the Trucial coast wore this one ... but I suspect it has been to Salalah and owned by a Jebali tribesman... if only they could talk !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note It is assumed that the Royal Khanjar adopted the scabbard design from this one..so that it was only the Royal dagger hilt that Sheherazad (wife of the Sultan in about 1850) designed.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:25 AM   #6
BANTARU

hi there,

hmm.........maybe ill just leave it as it is. Thanx for the info though. who are the Jebali Tribsemen? Are they Duru?
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
hi there,

hmm.........maybe ill just leave it as it is. Thanx for the info though. who are the Jebali Tribsemen? Are they Duru?

Salaams BANTARU...They are the 100,000 or so mountain tribesmen of Southern Oman, The Dhofar region... often seen even these days dressed in a loin cloth and covered from head to foot in deep purple dye... They have their own language ... perhaps 9 different variations and look like Ethiopian tribesmen. They live in round houses made from cattleskins stretched over a wooden frame and they hunt and raise cattle and camels... thousands of them... They are extremely fierce and it is said they look like they could go to war in an instant. Being purple and very fit as well as incredibly brave and fierce they make brilliant soldiers.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 4th May 2013, 06:46 PM   #8
BANTARU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams BANTARU...They are the 100,000 or so mountain tribesmen of Southern Oman, The Dhofar region... often seen even these days dressed in a loin cloth and covered from head to foot in deep purple dye... They have their own language ... perhaps 9 different variations and look like Ethiopian tribesmen. They live in round houses made from cattleskins stretched over a wooden frame and they hunt and raise cattle and camels... thousands of them... They are extremely fierce and it is said they look like they could go to war in an instant. Being purple and very fit as well as incredibly brave and fierce they make brilliant soldiers.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaam Wajah,

oh ok I know those people. They are Harasiis, and some Jeneba, Mahra.
I got confused for a sec. The Duru live in the North-Central region near UAE, next to the Awamiir.

Thank You very much Sir, for the clarification.