Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2015, 12:09 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default MYSTERY BLADES

This morning at a local flea market I picked up 2 old blades which could be either bayonet or hanger blades .
The one with the cross guard is 59 cm long, inc tang, blade length is 48 cm. Max blade width is 3 cm. The blade is single edged and is stamped on the tang 'PP'
The other blade is 59 cm long, inc tang, blade length is 46 cm. Max blade width is 33 mm. The blade is double edged and is stamped on the blade at the ricasso 'F.G.'

Would appreciate any comments.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:50 PM   #2
kronckew

the one with the beefier threaded tang looks like a decent blade. the other with th guard and the skinney rat tail tang with the 'snap here' squished down weak spot halfway down - looks like short stub tang with a welded on rod, not so decent...the PP mfg. didn't even think enough of it to stamp on the visible portion of the blade like the other. maybe the PP is a rejection stamp meaning 'Pretty* Poor'

* - (i had another slang word meaning 'bodily waste fluid (noun)' or 'to eject said fluid (verb)' in mind.)

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd June 2015 at 01:00 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 02:21 PM   #3
thinreadline

Of course , difficult to convey with pics , but they are actually both decent quality blades . On the 'poorer' one , the tang has not been welded on , it is integral with the blade . In dimensions it is very close to a Baker rifle bayonet blade with which I have compared it directly , but of course the Baker does not have a crossguard like this.

Last edited by thinreadline; 22nd June 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: I accidentally re posted my reply.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote