Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
kronckew

Default small kris

while i normally do not collect kris, i've been looking for a small one that looked more like a user than a ritual one, i've got a nice straight bladed maduran kris in pamour but wanted one that was a bit more functional & with a few luks.

picked this one up cheaply on e-pray yesterday, it's in the white as i understand northern malaysian prefer. is this one 'vintage' (i gather that means pre-1970) or is it a tourist flavour? should i try a lime juice clean?

Item number: 140154050586
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 12:22 PM   #2
simatua

Default ahaa... Vintage

I always wondered what was mend by "vintage" Now i know

In my opinion this is a touristic piece indeed. But for decoration purpase not too bad.
According to the photo's the blade seems to be made of one piece iron( no separate gandja), which is not (patern) welded.

I think in this case it would not be to bad to try to get some welding out, if its there of course whith lemon lime; Its better to try it with this kind of stuff than taking the risk of destroing a good keris.... It wil give you some experience about etching.
Try to brush it with a toothbrush for a couple of days, over and over again, till you see a patern.
For the exact cleaning and edge of the blade you can find all about in aerlier topics

greetings
Martin
simatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 12:55 PM   #3
tunggulametung

While cleaning regarded as appretiation by the native, I don't think it is not for 'vintage' collector as you are . Personally I don't see lime juice cleaning is required on this particular piece on its current condition. I would suggest straight for oil wiping and storage.
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
kronckew

well, it arrived this morning, one piece blade shows distinctive signs of being forged, and has faint signs of lamination tho i do not think there is any pamour, but is reasonably crudely done and is more obviously a tourist piece, the lines suggesting a 'ganja' are filed in.. the grip is permanently attached to the blade, pendongkok one piece. the blade is 4mm. thick at the ganja near the tang. the sampir is made out of a decent looking grained wood, with a horn end piece. wood pegs are apparent holding it all together. fits the blade nicely.

as i bought this one to play with, i'll probably give it a light cleaning and etch to see if there is anything there, but i will not go overboard. there is some patina on the blade, but i'd think it is not as old as i am.

i have a kris approx. the same size that was presented to a british army officer in 1998 by a malyasian army outfit in bosnia, in a fancy case, that appears to have been made from a forged bicycle chain and is much thinner & is flexible, and the ganja, while separate is wrapped around the end of the blade in a hairpin fashion, the clothes are a lot cruder as well. THAT one cries 'tourist'.

the grip and scabbard are a lot nicer on this new one. the overall impression is it is not a work of art like my other proper kris, but is strong enough and well made enough to function as a weapon. it has the 'feel'.

for simatua:

i used 'vintage' as a bit of a joke, as it is defined as pre-1970 by ebay. 'antique' is pre 1900 apparently see attached. i am myself 'vintage', in 1970 i was a serving engineering officer in the US Coast Guard and was likely floating around the polar icecaps in the icebreaker i was assigned to. one reason i like blades from a slightly warmer climate.
Attached Images

Old 11th September 2007, 07:22 PM   #5
simatua

Alright i am learning more and more today! thats not how i looked at the "vintage" thing...being born at dec 1971 i just missed it.
And i always wondered where my "drive"came from to start collect weapons from a warm climate.....Maybe cause of my duty for 5 years with the royal dutch marines were i served.Maybe you discovered it.... If you have some tips too to stop the addiction ...my wife will be glad!

Just took a look at your Maduran keris, that one looks very nice, do you have more pictures of it btw?

Since the kampungnet seems to stay out of order, so i started to share my collection at multiply. ( overhere its very easy to "make" a site and upload photo's
for everyone who's interested: www.simatua.multiply.com
Old 11th September 2007, 10:47 PM   #6
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by simatua
... If you have some tips too to stop the addiction ...my wife will be glad!

Just took a look at your Maduran keris, that one looks very nice, do you have more pictures of it btw?
...[/url]
as i'm still buying, i have not as yet found a cure, i think it's chronic, you can treat the symptoms, but the need is always with us. i see you have quite a few nice pieces yourself. my wife told me it was her or the collection. i've been single for almost 5 years now....most of my best pieces came in that period

re my other keris, i'll take a few tomorrow when the light is better, meanwhile here is the description:

Keris Untu Walang
dapur: tilam upih
pamor: untu walang
scabbard: teak, ladrang madura style (iras)
length overall 51 cm. wht. 430 grams
origin:madura

and a kujang & a tombak to tide you over:

and a death shroud badek to scare you with.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:12 PM   #7
kronckew

hi again, simatua;

some more photos as requested:

these are thumbnails to save space for those who are not interested,

click them to see the full size ones

all my kris/keris (except the 5" paper knife one i can't find)
for size ref: the large moro at the top has a 26" blade

maduran kris

left side...............................right side

right side grip.........................left side grip

Last edited by kronckew; 13th September 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 13th September 2007, 06:42 PM   #8
simatua

Thanks, for sharing the pictures.

Indeed the smaller pictures you can enlarge take less space.
but believe me, everyone one on this forum is interested in photo's etc of each other's collection. Always nice if someone willing to share.
....seeing is learning.

greetings martin