Default beer for warung kopi

Hallo keris friend
I did this photo during my last trip in Yogya
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I have seen this beer and sometimes glasses with the logo turn up on eBay. Frankly i have mixed feelings. I mean...i like beer! But i also wonder if it is the most respectful use of the symbolism of the keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 04:37 PM   #3
BluErf

Well, kerises are found on coins, stamps, kain sampin, t-shirts, and even on fences (I saw such a fence in a Buddhist temple in Kelantan!). They are also brands for batik shirts, perfume, oil. I have a name card holder with a keris, a pewter kris letter opener from Royal Selangor. I've seen keris brooches too. Well, keris beer... not that outrageous, I suppose.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Marcokeris

Kris is the name of the Singapore Airlines' monthly magazine too.
David beer is alcoholic and to drink a lot of beer maybe could set the drinker in conctat with upperworld or underworld (i have said a joke..... but.. really near some arcaic people alcohol is used during unique ceremony)
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 01:49 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Keris appear on stamps and coins as an honoring of the culture. One might be able to say the same about pins and other jewelry. At least those items are not exploiting a cultural symbol to sell a product. I am not really upset by it all, but it makes me wonder how these products are seen from within the culture, especially since it has been my understanding that alcohol comsumption isn't particularly encouraged by most Islamic cultures.
I, on the other hand, have had quite a few spiritual experiences with a strong bottle of dark Belgium ale.
Old 4th April 2007, 05:15 PM   #6
BluErf

But the kris is not an exclusively Islamic weapon. It has a huge influence on it for sure, but we must also recognize where the rashaksa hilt on the keris in the poster came from.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
But the kris is not an exclusively Islamic weapon. It has a huge influence on it for sure, but we must also recognize where the rashaksa hilt on the keris in the poster came from.
Well obviously Kai Wee, there is both Hindu and animistic influences for sure, but isn't Indonesia considered for the most part (though not officially) to be an Islamic state?
So what you are saying then is that raksasa were a bunch of beer swigging pagan demons?
Old 5th April 2007, 04:13 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

It might be a wee bit difficult to try to understand the keris in a modern Indonesian context, as opposed to a traditional Javanese context, and Islam as it is practiced in Jawa as opposed to the Islam, as practiced, in, say Saudi Arabia.

Too often explanations for attitudes are looked for in a dominant religion, when in fact the explanations are cultural, with the religion being only a veneer over a part of the culture.

I feel in respect of the matter of Kriss Beer, we might be wise to simply note the existence of the trade mark and let it go at that.From my perspective, I can see a lot of very shaky ground in front of this discussion, over which I would hesitate to tread. At least, publicly.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Pangeran Datu

Hi all,

Hmmm ....
Reminds me of an old saying: Ada duit, can do it. (i.e. have money, can do)

One has to bear in mind that it is increasingly difficult to adhere to/maintain esoteric values/beliefs in the scramble to earn a living and against the tide of captalism and its accompanying 'conspicuous consumption'.

Cheers.

Last edited by Pangeran Datu; 21st April 2007 at 12:14 AM.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Raden Usman Djogja

Default kris=adulthood=bier

In ancient time, father would give a kris to his son who had grown into an adult.
In the other hand, by drinking "bier", a boy feels as a man.
Perhaps, the pamphlet was aimed to deliver this combined message to the readers.
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote