Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Jussi M.

Default How did the keris-bug bit you?

Greetings,

it just occurred to me that we have here a vast international community and it would be interesting to hear how everyone of you got started with the keris.

IŽll begin as I begun this thread. It went something like this: Ever since being a little boy I have been fascinated by bladed weaponry and was taught how to use the puukko (Finnish tool knife) as a little boy by my late grandfather. It was about the same time in my early childhood that I remember browsing some old colour pictured encyclopedia of SE Asia belonging to my grandmother and seeing a fascinating full size picture of a chiseled Javanese(?) warrior wearing a sarong and a keris tucked under a sash. There was also a four color picture of a waved keris and its sheath and both of those pictures were burnt right then and there to my soul right there in my grandparents living rooms floor. - I must of have not been much elder than 6 years old then at the time this took place. It just felt such a cool and exotic weapon being so different from all else IŽve ever seen.

So, how about you then - how did you got interested on the keris?

Best,

Jussi
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Joseph Conrad led me to the keris .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
lemmythesmith

Hi Jussi, I got interested in keris as a cheaper (but no less interesting) alternative to the Japanese sword In common with with all the edged weapons I'm fascinated by comes the question "how do I make that......"
lemmythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
sjors

Parents from the Dutch Indies -> Pencak Silat -> Kebatinan -> Keris
sjors is offline   Reply With Quote