Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th May 2015, 06:34 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Afghani Tabar Zin?

just acquired this one last nite, on it's way to it's new home with me from the USA. listed as an "Antique Indian Afghan axe tabarzin war hammer spear Indo Persian sword/shamshir" in ebay-speak. (i assume the extra non helpful words are there to improve search hits.)

31 inch haft (not sure if that includes the butt spike assembly)

4 in. x 3 in. head (also not sure if that includes the poll opposite the blade.)

square steel spike set in a decorated hexagonal brass bolster is quite blunt. axe head has a fairly thick wedge shape, shrinkage crack in the wood near it. needs a bit of tlc.

i suspect if true may have been brought back by someone visiting the sandpit to discuss politics over some mint tea with ak47's and m16's for emphasis. and possibly a bayonet. (more likely picked up in a local afghani market as an ooo-pretty)

thanks in advance for any comments or info. is it afghan, persian, or indian?
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 03:22 AM   #2
rickystl

Hi Kronckeu.
I really enjoyed your introduction to this weapon. LOL.
I don't have enough knowledge of the blades and armour of this period to comment with any sincerity. But I did want to comment on what a neat looking and interesting ax this is. I really like it. The blade and end spike look hand forged (not a casting). So it doesn't look like a tourist type item. Too well made. When you receive it, let us know how much it weighs. That will give us a clue. Even if not very old, it still looks really good. Would not mind that one in my collection. Congrats. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 10:32 PM   #3
spiral

Looks good.

I think Gene {Atlantia} posted a couple of the same genre a few years ago?... not sure he ever got to the final origin... Anything from Saudi to India I recall...

But the spike attachment might help narrow it down. Id guess Muslim India...
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 12:22 AM   #4
Oliver Pinchot

It's an obuszek, an accoutrement popular with the Polish gentry. This one is probably mid-19th century. When traveling, foraging, hiking or herding, both Poles and Hungarians carried axes (the Hungarian variant is called fokos) with characteristically long hafts terminating in a spike of greater or lesser dimensions. These served a variety of purposes, alpenstock, camp axe, weapon. Each type has a distinct form of head, the Polish typically crescentic, and thus more reminiscent of European battelaxes. A Hungarian collector once told me it was common for swineherds to throw the fokos at recalcitrant hogs with such skill that they could stun them with the peen without cutting them with the edge. A part of its history perhaps best taken, like porkchops, with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by Oliver Pinchot; 27th May 2015 at 03:12 AM.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 10:34 AM   #5
kronckew

i had my suspicions, but didn't want to prejudice responses. i suspect that as a polish upper class version of a shepard's axe it'd be worth a bit more than i paid for it as an indopersian tabarzin. anyhow it will fit in nicely with my ciupagas and fokoses. i gather polish nobility carried these in battle long after the rest of europe stopped. hungarians used a similar 'obuch'.

my granny was from galecia, at the time austro-hungarian, but at times polish (even independent once) and/or ukrainian. when she spoke to her relatives in wien neustadt she spoke an odd mix of austrian german with as sprinkle of polish. and occasionally english words.

Last edited by kronckew; 27th May 2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12th June 2015, 02:45 PM   #6
kronckew

the obuszek finally arrived today.the spike & brass balance the head perfectly in the centre 40cm. from either end. the head is still as sharp as a steeled butcher's knife with no signs it's been sharpened recently. the head is 4 inches from edge to the end of the hammer poll which is 1.5 cm. square. the chord across the pints of the edge is 3 inches. (sorry for the mixed units )

tad short for a walking stick for me and i'm only 5 ft. 8 in. substantial 7/8 in. thick wood haft has a few fine age cracks but the head & butt spike are firm and unmoving. total weight 550 grams.

so, looks like time to move and retitle this thread to the european forum.

anecdote:
the vendor packed the box tight with pink foam chips and even stiffened it by taping it with a rather nice (and expensive) carbon fibre arrow with a seel field point and plastic flights. so it was a two-fer.
Old 13th June 2015, 02:59 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

So you can even defend yourself with the carbon fiber packing material ?
Definitely a twofer .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 08:41 AM   #8
kronckew

yup, all i need now is an arrow flinger. i have my eye on one of these:
Attached Images