Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th May 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Big head Dinka club

The post by Ed of the wonderful Sudan shield inspired me to show my latest thing which has still to arrive. When it does I can show better views along side other clubs. The head is 13cm x 14cm. Shame about the vandalism making it stand as it does, sadly it was quite common in the recent past.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Sajen

Very nice!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 03:52 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I LIKE IT!! I ASSUME YOU ARE THINKING THE SHAFT HAS BEEN DRILLED TO FIT THE STAND. I HOPE THE ETHINOGRAPHIC GALLERIES THAT DO SUCH THINGS HAVE LEARNED THAT COLLECTORS VALUE THE OBJECTS MORE THAN THEY DO THOSE CHEAPLY MADE SPRAY PAINTED BLACK METAL STANDS (THOSE STANDS ARE ABOUT AS PLEASING TO LOOK AT AS A BLACK WIRE COAT HANGER.) TO DRILL HOLES IN GOOD ITEMS TO MOUNT THEM ON SUCH STANDS IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

This is very interesting mace. Congratulations.
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Tim, I would like to add my congratulations to you for being able to acquire this great looking club for your collection !!! Very nice.

Quote:
I LIKE IT!! I ASSUME YOU ARE THINKING THE SHAFT HAS BEEN DRILLED TO FIT THE STAND. I HOPE THE ETHINOGRAPHIC GALLERIES THAT DO SUCH THINGS HAVE LEARNED THAT COLLECTORS VALUE THE OBJECTS MORE THAN THEY DO THOSE CHEAPLY MADE SPRAY PAINTED BLACK METAL STANDS (THOSE STANDS ARE ABOUT AS PLEASING TO LOOK AT AS A BLACK WIRE COAT HANGER.) TO DRILL HOLES IN GOOD ITEMS TO MOUNT THEM ON SUCH STANDS IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE.
Vandoo, I couldn't agree more.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

Thank you all, very kind. It did come at a price as you would expect.
Old 28th May 2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Default I have such a bighead.

It is here now and it is rather special if you ask me.

First point and I would really value oppinions on the matter. Does one live with the Vandelism as part of the objects history through collecting time or do some cosmetic restoration?

Second, the club was listed as Nilotic Sudan. Well you do not need many books on African art to question that. Surely the ear form is Central African? perhaps even coastal west Africa? I am going to suggest Gabon and Congo. The jungle gunge on the piece makes me think of Congo, Central Africa and the face.
Attached Images

Old 30th May 2012, 07:59 AM   #8
colin henshaw

Tim,

The Dinka and other pastoral peoples in East Africa (Nuer, Masai, Karamajong etc) didn't really produce figurative sculpture apart from a very odd exception. So I think this piece is probably from futher West (Northern Congo or CAR), known as the Ubangi area and style. Or maybe Azande, some of whom live in South West Southern Sudan ?
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Any thoughts about living with the vandals work or making a cosmetic repair?
Old 30th May 2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Clubs & Arrows

Tim,
I hang my clubs on the walls at the house, so my choice would be to fill the hole after getting the insert out of it. It's a shame that the previous owner did not have a stand welded with small arms that the piece can be set in/on and would not permanently become part of the piece. Nonetheless I think that it would look great on the wall whether fixed or not.

Best,
Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

Try removing the tubing and fill it in with epoxy wood putty and stain to match.
I had a talk with a UK eBay seller who gets African objects and has someone make custom wood stands he drills holes in the bottom of the objects and inserts nails to mount them. I explained to the seller that drilling holes in objects devalues them and she told me she can't sell them at a higher price because people like to display what they buy. So I sent a link to art display essentials and told to buy some T-Arm armatures They can wrap and hold said object without having to drill holes
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Tim Simmons

Default 1000000 time better

I had to grind a few mm away with a ball fraise in my pendant drill as it would not come out and the big danger of making a real mess. Then filled with gunge. I think it looks better not trying to hide the cosmetic repair here. It looks very similar to magic gunge Africans use on objects. When I am gone nobody will be any the wiser. It is still an uncommon club.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 31st May 2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 1st June 2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

Nice repair job

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote