Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th November 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Kingenthal Napoleonic briquet - special type

Hello, I've recently bought this Briquet. Marked on the back of the blade: "Manufacture Imperiale de Klingenthal janvier 1813" and the classics proofs for Lobstein, Bisck and Krantz.

To me is na unknown type. Never seen a napoelonic briquet with side bar guard and the hilt made of steel instead of the classic brass. The grip is wire over wood (?). The markings on the blade are correct and it does not seem a put toghether sword to me. Any idea for proveninece? i cannot find it in my books but I would guess something like kingdom of two Sicilies? Or Iberian perhaps? Any ideas?
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 03:42 PM   #2
AHorsa

Hi,

the hilt is similar to the Württemberg Mod. 1806 sabre. Normaly it doesn´t have such a blade, but the french blade would also fit as Württemberg was "allied" to Napoleon. So maybe it was changed during the Napoleonic era.

Cheers
Andreas
AHorsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Valjhun

Hi, Tnx for the answer.

I checked and yes, it is very similar to Wurttemberg grenadier hilts. Sice the country was part of the Rhine Confederation - Napoleon allies, maybe Klingenthal factory produced those hangers as well?

There are some small differences in the hilt construction and features, compared to other Wurttemberg swords and the sword does not seem to be a put toghether item.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote