Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Mercenary

Default Shashka from Azerbaijan

Just a nice story (and pics)

In 1858, in the town of Zagatala (Azerbaijan, but in that time part of Russian Empire) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaqatala_(city)), the Russian Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolayevich was presented with a magnificent shashka.
Now the shashka is in the collection of the Danish War Museum.
Attached Images

Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2022, 05:11 PM   #2
Mercenary

Recently, due to the initiative of one researcher of the history of Azerbaijan, based only on a fuzzy photograph from a book illustration, a modern shashka was made in a similar decoration technique.
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2022, 05:26 PM   #3
Mercenary

It is noteworthy that the modern shashka was made in Tula (Russia), where the tradition of making decorated weapons has not been interrupted since the 16th century.
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:37 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Crazy impressive!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 04:24 AM   #5
ariel

Very nice!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:11 PM   #6
Interested Party

I would agree with "very nice". I am very interested to see Tula still has its chops. I am not sure how similar the construction of these two pieces is though. I found the screws attaching the handle to the blade jarring. For me they created disharmony. The screws for me stopped what in story telling is called the suspension of disbelief. It is what keeps an audience's attention within a narrative frame. These, if screws had a superior design element to rivets or resin, could have been easily hidden in the motif as the English did on engraved shotgun actions. The blade is a combination of pool and eye, and ladder pattern? Was this blade and dress commissioned by an individual or an exhibition piece to show what was possible? To reiterate my first point, it is impressive work, if I could create anything on this level, I would consider my life complete. It only falls short when compared to the original. It checks all the boxes but, to my eye, does not have the umami of the original, for lack of a better word. I would love to see how the ears of the hilt are done. That is an angle that is not photographed enough.

On the original piece is the chap encrusted with pearls, or are those small gold beads? The koftgari on the original blade is interesting in that it echos the Tiflis patters but uses different design elements. I find the vining on the right side that creates three legged swastikas and yin and yang symbols out of the negative spaces to be very clever. This one section reminds me of imitation Circassian work. The eye and mind pass over it and almost fill in the duck heads. Then you double take and realize how different the elements are from both Tiflis and Dagestani motifs. I would call it a masterpiece of Armenian craftmanship. I will hope to find a picture of the complete blade and scabbard.

Mercenary thank you for showing us these historical blades in your last couple of posts.

Last edited by Interested Party; 23rd July 2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:40 PM   #7
ariel

I fully agree.
The Tula example is still “Very nice”, but would never pass as a genuinely old and original work. The absense pf gold decoration on the blade is puzzling: Tula masters were either not professionally prepared, lazy or just intentionally neglectful.

The truly impressive thing about this shashka is the openness of its creators
not attempting to full anybody. They are level above modern Indian masters in terms of integrity, but noticeably below historically and professionally.
Old 24th July 2022, 11:21 AM   #8
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
I found the screws attaching the handle to the blade jarring. For me they created disharmony. The screws for me stopped what in story telling is called the suspension of disbelief. It is what keeps an audience's attention within a narrative frame.
Right. But the masters of Tula are always at your service. Lapis lazuli. Anything else?
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2022, 11:48 AM   #9
Mercenary

Quote:
The blade is a combination of pool and eye, and ladder pattern? Was this blade and dress commissioned by an individual or an exhibition piece to show what was possible?
This is a unique work made at the request of the customer who wanted to have something similar in decorative technique, like a historical item in a museum.

But the blade is not decorative. Its created on the basis of consultations with the cutting champion among the Cossacks (he is on this video). This sword can cut.
https://youtu.be/XKkr84pqxiY
Old 24th July 2022, 11:56 AM   #10
Mercenary

Quote:
I would love to see how the ears of the hilt are done. That is an angle that is not photographed enough.
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2022, 02:25 PM   #11
ariel

“Your sword will KEAL!”

( Doug Markaida, “ Forged in Fire”)
Old 24th July 2022, 04:46 PM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I assume the decorations on the hilt and scabbard are akin to niello. In any case, the work is well done and very attractive. Quick question. Is the sword rather bulky and "blade heavy in the hand." I've found that recently made dha and daab from MSEA, while sometimes of good workmanship, lack the finesse and balance of antique weapons and feel clumsy to wield.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 07:10 PM   #13
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I assume the decorations on the hilt and scabbard are akin to niello
Yes, gilding and oxidation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Quick question. Is the sword rather bulky and "blade heavy in the hand." I've found that recently made dha and daab from MSEA, while sometimes of good workmanship, lack the finesse and balance of antique weapons and feel clumsy to wield.
Thank you very much for the question. That is why I desided to open the thread. I have seen the item before but only on photos. But recently I was lucky enough to hold it in hand. I do not understand and like shashkas as a weapons. I prefer heavy weapons and among shashkas I would prefer Afghan or Central Asia ones.
Despite the weight of the item is only 700 g I felt it like a real weapon. When you hold it, it provokes you to cut everything and everyone around you .

So I understand now why a lot of swords, for example, of 19th century ones from India, can not evoke the same feeling in the arm. They were made only as a decorated copy and makers did not try to make balance and so on. They tried to please the tastes of customers. And the customers were tourists from Europe.
When the customers are those who use the weapon for its intended purpose, then the weapon is made differently. A sword or saber is not a piece of armature when you can wrap a rag around the end like a handle and beat like a stick.
It's not just the balance and weight of the weapon. A heavy ax or spear can also be harmonious in the hand. And they may not be.
Old 25th July 2022, 02:36 AM   #14
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks mercenary! A beautiful sword and made as a weapon for use. Excellent
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 08:23 PM   #15
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Right. But the masters of Tula are always at your service. Lapis lazuli. Anything else?
Nothing else. I stand corrected. I have always wanted an old Tula blade. Who knows maybe one day I will cross paths with the right one. Mercenary, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. The view of the ears was appreciated. I don't know why that angle is not given more often. It seems important for many reasons. Do you know what the metal on the bolster and the lining of the ears is? It looks like gilded gold?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2022, 02:18 PM   #16
Mercenary

Quote:
Nothing else. I stand corrected.
It was a joke )). When I asked the master for new photos, it turned out that the customer had already asked him to hide the screws and put lapis lazuli stones.

Quote:
Do you know what the metal on the bolster and the lining of the ears is? It looks like gilded gold?
No, gilded steel.