Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st May 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
KraVseR

Default Arnis sticks

Hello! Who know, what names the sticks for arnis? In wikipedia write yantok, but I'm not sure.
And these sticks are only the short? I've heard of some kavayyan Arnis - Filipino long stave. Or this is wrong?
Attached Images

KraVseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 10:14 PM   #2
RhysMichael

Most of the places that sell them just call them escrima sticks. I have heard them called different names such as yantok baston or olisi When I took phillipine martial arts, drills, particularly those from escrima or kali, with them were often called doble baston or doble olisi when using two and solo baston / olisi for one. Baston is of Spanish descent. I was told back then though that osili actually was a description of the guage or thickness of the rattan. One escrima instructor I met rated rattans palasan, limuran, tumalim, olisi, sika and arorog going from from thick to thin ( but I have also been told these names refer to varieties of rattan) . When I took pananandata they did call it a yantok. He ( Prof Amante Marinas ) was from Luzon. Arnis, Arnis de Mano, pananandata tends to be a Luzon styles and those styles in my small experience called it a yantok. The terms eskrima, kali and kalirongan tend to be seen more with styles from the Visanyas ( again in my limited experience so that that as a belief not a fact ) and Mindanao most often called them olisi or baston. So it may be that yantok is used in Luzon and baston or olisi in the Visanyas and Mindanao. I could be wrong but there are many on here that will know more on it than I do

Last edited by RhysMichael; 27th May 2013 at 10:58 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote