Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Clubs & Arrows

Default Mandau for review

Hello.
I recently purchased this Mandau at a local auction, and was wondering if anyone could help with approximate age, or if it is a dance piece vs a functional sword. The blade has shallow designs along the top edge, and several piercings, some of which appear to have inlaid brass dots in them. It is fairly sharp and thick as well. I know that the blade could use a bit of cleaning, and that the small blade is gone from the back, but that's about the extent of my knowledge about this piece. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

PS: Any idea on how to repair/replace the missing section of resinous material at the hilt, or is it better off left as is?
Attached Images

Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Clubs & Arrows

more pics
Attached Images

Old 28th January 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD OLD EXAMPLE TO ME DEFINITELY NOT A TOURIST ITEM. THE SWORD AND HANDLE MAY BE OLDER THAN THE SCABBARD BUT THAT IS NOT UNUSUAL OR A PROBLEM. THE SCABBARD IS WELL CARVED WITH WHAT IS REFERRED TO AS THE LEACH DESIGN. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE CARVED DEER ANTLER PIECE ON THE SCABBARD IS FOR.?
I HAVE HEARD OF THE FERRULE BEING MADE OF WILD BEES WAX BUT YOUR EXAMPLE LOOKS MORE LIKE SOME SORT OF PLANT RESIN. THERE SHOULD BE SOME OLD POSTS IN THE ARCHIVES DISCUSSING BEES WAX FERRULES ON MANDAU. LOOKS LIKE A KEEPER TO ME BUT IT DOES NEED SOME TENDER LOVING CARE ESPECIALLY THE BLADE.
HOPEFULLY SOMEONE MUCH MORE KNOWLEGABLE THAN I ABOUT THINGS DAYAK CAN GIVE MORE AND BETTER INFORMATION. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
asomotif

Hello Joe,

A very nice mandau. surely for real use and not a "dance sword"
Although the owner could have performed dances with it.

I think the ensemble is all matching in age.
I like the little antler carving at the shoulder of the scabbard. although it is attached in a weird way.
Maybe it has been bigger in the past ?

I would love to see the blade in a slightly cleaner state.

As for the resin at the handle.
Here is a thread giving some info.
But in this case you could also leave it, as part is still there and it is difficult to get the same texture of resin.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=mandau+resin
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Clubs & Arrows

Vandoo & Asomotif,
Thank you both for your information. I normally stick with Pacific Island clubs, but this was included in a boxlot along with New Guinea pieces. I'll get some pics loaded here of the Mandau a little cleaned up.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Joe
Old 31st January 2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Indianajones

Hi Joe, a very very nice Iban mandau! The handle may not be very 'fancy' with faces and everything but the whole sword n scabbard are very old -I would estimate 1870 maybe even older.
Seen the leeches pattern on the scabbard it originates from the Iban dayak of Sarawak (Malaysian part of Borneo) and those many smaller brass points inset in the blade near the handle I have seen in many swords originating in an area closer to Sabah; Murut-tribe.
Therefore I would bet my money this mandau comes from the Baramriver-area Iban Dajak.

Love the scabbard, n nice piece of twirly carved deerhorn on side, openworked blade . . . .AAAHH!
If the sword was mine I would just put some woodglue (watered down perhaps) on the brittle resinpart of the handle and respectfully clean the blade (remove rust). Oh and brush off the dust . . .but am sure you done that already .
Good luck n enjoy
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Maurice

Area Between the Baram river and upper Redjang in Sarawak according to me.
I vote for Kayan tribe.

Maurice

Last edited by Maurice; 31st January 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote