Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2014, 02:55 AM   #1
DaveS

Default Sulu twistcore

Here is a twist-core that I think is from Sulu. 23 1/2 inch blade. On the end of the horse-hoof pommel is a small carved rosette. Kris should date from the early 1900s. No scabbard........Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 04:38 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice… Love to see a vinegar etch on this blade, but maybe that's just me.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 05:42 AM   #3
DaveS

David: 98% of the etches that I do are done with phosphoric acid. I only use ferric chloride if the metal doesn't respond to the phosphoric. The few times that I have tried vinegar, it didn't really do much, at least not to my liking anyway............Dave.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have seen a number of this style of twist core and it is looking to me like this is a form of twist core done more toward the end of the 19th century.

Nice and love the pommel carving. And yes it is a Sulu blade.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 12:31 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
David: 98% of the etches that I do are done with phosphoric acid. I only use ferric chloride if the metal doesn't respond to the phosphoric. The few times that I have tried vinegar, it didn't really do much, at least not to my liking anyway............Dave.
My point was a light etch to add a touch of contrast Dave. Any way that suits you i guess.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:37 AM   #6
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
My point was a light etch to add a touch of contrast Dave. Any way that suits you i guess.
Sorry David, it sounded like you were wanting a lot more contrast......Dave
Old 18th February 2014, 02:43 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
Sorry David, it sounded like you were wanting a lot more contrast……Dave
Nope. I never thought vinegar was the way to go for heavy contrast. It's such a mild acid.
Old 19th February 2014, 09:40 PM   #8
archer

Default Etching

Hi David S, You mentioned you preferred using Phosphoric acid to etch. Would you tell us what grade, strength% you use and if diluted the ratio.
My first etching was with some used in wine testing worked great now not available. Thanks, Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 06:32 AM   #9
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Hi David S, You mentioned you preferred using Phosphoric acid to etch. Would you tell us what grade, strength% you use and if diluted the ratio.
My first etching was with some used in wine testing worked great now not available. Thanks, Steve
Steve: you don't need to dilute it at all. Use it right out of the bottle. I know some people might be a little afraid of using it at its full strength, but don't worry, I have used it for many years this way with very good results. Unlike ferric chloride it will not darken any silver. For a darker etch you can very carefully heat the blade with a propane torch, two or three QUICK passes on each side. Of course before you do this you will want to degrease the blade with acetone, lacquer thinner or whatever.The acid on a heated blade will have a tendency to fizz up, but don't worry, this is normal. If the blade is heated up a little too much it will come out too dark and you will have to repolish and start over again. No harm done, just a little extra time lost. Home Depot carries it in gallon jugs. It is used as either concrete or metal etch. Hopes this helps..........Dave.