Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2006, 05:41 AM   #1
The Double D

Default Iklwa

I located yesterday what appears to my inexperienced eye to be a Iklwa.

It is a leaf shaped blade about 18 to 20 inches or so long 3 to 4 inches wide. Shaft was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long with slight flare at butt. It is an older Spear. It may have been a old blade picked up and reshafted. There is some rusting and pitting on the blade. Definitely not curio shop blade. But the shaft may have been added for curio shop sale a long time ago.

First impression is that it was stuck up in the thatch of a rondaval and left for a long time. The shaft is smoked black. The rust pitting is on the tip of the blade. There is small band near the band of old animal skin with wore off hair on the shaft next to the blade. The hafting is leather wrapping.

Does this seem to fit the description of an Iklwa? What other things should I look for? What should I expect to pay for an Iklwa?

Last edited by The Double D; 12th June 2006 at 06:12 AM.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 02:18 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION IT DOES SOUND LIKE A ZULU OR RELATED TRIBES SPEAR. THE SMOKE AND WORN HIDE MIGHT BE DONE OVER TIME OR DONE MORE RECENTLY ON PURPOSE. I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL FROM A PICTURE AND MAYBE NOT EVEN IF I HELD THE SPEAR. CONSIDERING WHERE YOU ARE IT IS MOST LIKELY ZULU, THE LONGER BLADES WERE SOMETHING INTRODUCED BY SHAKA FROM WHAT I HAVE READ. AS TO PRICE IT IS AGAINST FORUM POLICY TO DISCUSS PRICE SO I WOULD LOOK ON EBAY TO SEE WHAT IS THERE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE COMPARITIVE PICTURES OF SPEARS AS WELL AS GET AN IDEA ON PRICES. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 04:52 AM   #3
The Double D

Yikes, I better go back and reread forum rules about prices...So Ebay serves as the pricing standard?

Yes the smoked shaft did not look as old as the blade. And it could very well be a "new upgrade"

I may go back and ask the shop owner if I can photograph it. It realy got my attention.

I have been down here in South Afrcia about three months and seen a number of spears and there is a stark difference between standard curio shop, real and realy old. I have one example of real that is very nice, but it was not represented as older than the 1950's. It is quite heavy. A friend who collects this sort of stuff seems to think it is much older.
Old 13th June 2006, 06:32 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

EBAY IS A POOR PRICEING STANDARD BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING, IT IS TOO UNDEPENDABLE. IF I BID WHAT I CONSIDER TOP DOLLAR FOR A ITEM IT EITHER GETS SNIPED AT THE LAST SECOND FOR 1.00 OVER OR IT MAY GO TO RIDUCLOUS PRICES. IF I DON'T BID I SOMETIMES SEE A $250.00 ITEM GO FOR $50.00 IT CAN BE MADDENING IF YOU DON'T WIN SOMETHING EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE. I HAVE COMPLEATLY ABANDONED SEARCHING EBAY FOR SOME THINGS I HAVE COLLECTED FOR 40 YEARS OR MORE. BUT YOU CAN LOOK AT WHAT DEALERS PRICES START AT AND GET A FAIR IDEA FROM THAT AND WATCH A FEW LIKE THE ONE YOU HAVE SEEN AND SEE WHAT IT CLOSES AT.
ONE FORUM RULE YOU CAN'T BREAK IS DON'T MENTION A EBAY AUCTION ITEM THAT IS STILL ACTIVE, A FEW NEW MEMBERS HAVE MADE THAT MISTAKE. THAT USED NOT TO BE A PROBLEM BUT NOW WILL GET YOU BANNED FROM THE FORUM FOR 10 DAYS. IF THAT RULE WAS RETROACTIVE I WOULD PROBABLY NEVER HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO POST AGAIN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
The Double D

Went back to the shop this afternoon and looked at the iKlwa. I believe the blade is real. It might have been a battlefield pick up or a ground find. That is usually what causes the type of rust and pitting this blade has. The shaft well it's not old. The Butt isn't even flared. The shaft is light and open pored and smelled of shoe dye. It doesn't compare to the heavier dense wood of the shafts of my other two known Zulu spear. The butt is cut square with a saw.

To much chicanery for me...I'll keep looking.

DD
Old 13th June 2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

A very good old one is worth buying, ordinary old ones are common and I would not spend much on them. Anything fiddled with, you did the right thing.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote