Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Georgian palache

Senseis' most wet dream

Georgian palache, one of te best I've seen.

KLIK
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

I know nothing about this sword form , nothing .

Heavens forgive me but something is whispering repro in my ear .

I await shame and upbraiding by those in the know .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Rivkin

It is a fake; I would genuinely recommend looking at the seller's store - it is a rather unique representation of "high" to "zero" quality modern reproes from Georgia.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Huge sigh of relief !!
Old 26th July 2006, 12:33 AM   #5
ariel

Yet another of Comrade Kharanauli's "masterpieces".....
This seller has an amazing potpourri of shashkas with older blades and new, but well made, scabbards. I guess the sophistication of Georgian imitators improves by leaps and bounds. Soon we shall not be able to differentiate real stuff from modern imitations.
A lesson to all of us supporting renaissance of local swordmaking: be careful what you wish for, you may just get it
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Valjhun

hmmmm, you're suggesting the originality of the piece just looking at the other items that seller sells? Have you any other points to say that is not original? I also know that seller and his usual crap for sale, but this time it is a little bit different. Thatone could be original. Why? Let me ask you a question: How could someone make such a perfect copy without even knowing what is he copying? and further, it looks really good.

Personally I'm unable to see any fault on that palache and if it is really a repro we should sold-out our collections in time.
Old 26th July 2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
hmmmm, you're suggesting the originality of the piece just looking at the other items that seller sells? Have you any other points to say that is not original? I also know that seller and his usual crap for sale, but this time it is a little bit different. Thatone could be original. Why? Let me ask you a question: How could someone make such a perfect copy without even knowing what is he copying? and further, it looks really good.
Personally I'm unable to see any fault on that palache and if it is really a repro we should sold-out our collections in time.
Valjhun
I will answer you because I am a victim in this story. I have already asked apologies in this forum. This sword is a new made “khevsur”. It is a very good constructed sword and it could be an excellent addition in any collection if it was sold like new one. BUT they try to sell them as an authentic antique and as this it is a scam.
There are 3 categories of khevsur swords now in the market. (a) Real rare old and authentic ones (b) Real blades in new scabbards and (c) New blades in new scabbards. This sword is category C. It is hand made, it has (IMO) beautiful ethnographic art on it but…
The people who make them in Georgia they know very well what to do. They have old swords to copy and they have the skills and the traditional techniques to do it.
How I can see that it is a fake? There are few points to examine. I have hold some of them, authentic and fakes so I know (and I have paid this studies more than a doctorate in a University ).
I cannot tell you all the hints to recognize the fakes because it is possible to fix these faults and so they can make better fakes. But I will tell you the most important hint that (IMO) they cannot avoid. Look the blade. It is artificially blackened! If they don’t do this it will be shiny new!
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I have seen this blackened , sort of bubbly surface (seen near the tip) on some Philippine repro Kris . I also look at the denting on the lower area of the scabbard and it is way too uniform in depth and spacing .

I have done my fair share of 'distressing' wood furniture in the past .
Old 26th July 2006, 05:27 PM   #9
S.Al-Anizi

Like Rick, I know nothing about these swords, but still, fake or not, its niiiiceee
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 07:22 PM   #10
Valjhun

OK guys, I believe you... in the meantime I'm staying away from khevsurs as far as I can get.....