Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Valk

Default VOC Sabre yes/no

Hello all,

To speak English is not very difficult, but to write it! So in advance excuse my English please.
I am looking for help on finding info on this sword (picture).

I won’t sell the Sword, but I like to now if its authentic.
It’s in the family for almost 30years.

VOC stands for: De Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (The United Dutch East Asia Company)
There are different characters on the Sword. On both sides the same.

Characters:
VOC
(+ characters)

total length of the sword (sabre) some 80cm (32inch), blade approximately 65cm (25,5inch)
The grip maybe bronze?
The Blade is connected through the grip (on the backside of the grip)

Please look at the picture and let me know what you think. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Valk
Attached Images

Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:34 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
I HAVE NO KNOWLEGE ON THESE SWORDS BUT AS A REPLY SEEMS TO BE SLOW IN COMING I WILL MAKE A SUGGESTION. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE CURRENT FORUM FOR VOC AND THEN GO TO THE FORUM ARCHIVES AND SEARCH THERE. IF YOU STILL DO NOT FIND THE INFORMATION YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SEE WHO THE MOST KNOWLEGABLE FORUM MEMBERS IN THE POSTS ARE AND SEND THEM AN EMAIL. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Amuk Murugul

Hullo Valk,

Welcome to the forum.
In the absence of any info so far, I am putting my input. I hope it is of some help.

Your blade looks like it was made in Hoorn in 1774.
The VOC had contracts to build and operate foundaries in such places as India. Among the things produced in these places were blades for trade/commerce.
I am including info/fotos for a Pedang Soenda with such a blade.

Name: Si Loetoeng
Cat.: PedangSoenda
Type: Pedang Abet Pamoeka
Blade: VOC sabre, 49.5cm., 0.35cm thick
Handle: Makara Bolong, buffalo horn
Origin: Tatar Soenda

mvg,
Attached Images

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 2nd January 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: resize fotos
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

The blade and the hilt don't seem to be the same age at least as far as wear and abuse goes .

Remount ??
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Jeff D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
The blade and the hilt don't seem to be the same age at least as far as wear and abuse goes .

Remount ??
Hi Rick,

Not necessarily so. Iron will act as the sacrificial electrode when in contact with copper or brass. It would corrode at an accelerated rate and should therefore look much more abused.

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:55 PM   #6
M ELEY

Unfortunately, the hilt on this sword is one of those generic pattern artillary hilts found on French, Prussian and Spanish pieces roughly of the period ca.1830-1890. I'm not familiar with any Dutch pieces having this hilt. I thought that the VOC stood for the Dutch East India Company? I'm not familiar with the 'United Dutch East Asia Company', as I assumed after the the East India trading company went under circa 1800, there were no further companies involved? Interesting. So...if this Dutch East Asia Co existed into the 19th century, it could be a real piece. If not and the VOC stands for the earlier company, it has either been re-hilted or is a fake. I guess one other possibility is that someone affectionately inscribed it on a later sword out of found rememberence of the company.
If the VOC marking is attached to a later company (this Asia company you speak of), this might explain why this marking is sometimes found on more 19th century pieces.
Shaver Cool, anyone??
Sorry, Jim! Couldn't resist!!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Slowly I turned .....

Thanks Jeff for that tidbit about the reaction .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Jeff D

Although way out of my area, I did find this listed as a Dutch pattern Naval Hanger by R.J.Wilkinson-Latham in Pictorial history of swords and Bayonets . Undated and with different quillions, but may show a pattern of lineage from the VOC saber above.
Hi Rick, glad to help.

All the Best
Jeff
Attached Images

Old 3rd January 2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
I thought that the VOC stood for the Dutch East India Company? I'm not familiar with the 'United Dutch East Asia Company', as I assumed after the the East India trading company went under circa 1800, there were no further companies involved? Interesting. So...if this Dutch East Asia Co existed into the 19th century, it could be a real piece. If not and the VOC stands for the earlier company, it has either been re-hilted or is a fake. I guess one other possibility is that someone affectionately inscribed it on a later sword out of found rememberence of the company.
If the VOC marking is attached to a later company (this Asia company you speak of), this might explain why this marking is sometimes found on more 19th century pieces.
Shaver Cool, anyone??
Sorry, Jim! Couldn't resist!!
Hullo everybody!

De Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (The United Dutch East Asia Company): the words in brackets are Valk's free translation from the Dutch. Don't be too harsh. The literal translation would be something like: The United Eastindies Company (1602 - 1800).

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Dajak

It don't look like an real one .

But they told you almost the same on this forum

http://www.swordfactsbenelux.nl/foru...php?f=4&t=1189

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Valk

Thanks everybody,

I asked an expert in Holland. Probably it is a real old Sabre. Likely it is composite from two swords. A French Briquet (1809/1811) and an VOC chamber Hoorn kling (blade).

It was common for militia and for the garde-champêtre (=patrolman) in Dutch Indonesia to build there own (cheap) sabre.

He send me the pictures of the Briquet. Although the number of ribs on the handle don’t match (mine has 30, and the briquet 36?). The rest is identical.

Now I focus on the VOC chamber kling (perhaps a sort Pedang Soenda??).

I know there are different translations (VOC). Mine came from: http://library.thinkquest.org/26488/en/index.html

Once more, thanks for the info.

Peter
Attached Images

Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Jeff D

Hi Valk,

The French briquet is the ubiquitous brass hilts M ELEY was refering to. Yours is slightly different. If you look at the end of the quillion it has a nipple shape rather than the more common blunt tip as seen in the picture or the flattened scroll as seen in the Dutch naval saber. Your hilt may be a later replacement, but it may also be original. The answer lies in dating that 'nipple' tip quillion.

All the best
Jeff