Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th March 2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Ken Maddock

Default Indo Persian axe

Hi
I have an option on the attached axe, I know guns and have purchased off the seller in the past and gotten some good items, some items he has are pure tourist rubbish
Seller found this in his clear up of his dad's old collection and has offered it to me
To my completely un educated eye it looks like an Indian axe and there my ideas end
Can anyone offer any advice or observations on what this is
Handle is of a v small diameter the re enforcing collar on the head is steel and there are some comparable decorative collars on the handle in brass
Approx length is 2 feet or so
Comments much appreciated
Ken
Attached Images

Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 11:30 PM   #2
russel

It is an Indian Bullova axe. I love these axes, I have one complete example and an isolated head (which I intent to re-handle) in my collection. If this was offered to me at the right price I would snap it up in a minute.

It would be nice to see the whole item.

Cheers, Russel
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 11:38 PM   #3
Sajen

Like Russel said, an Indian Bullova axe.

You know that it is not allowed to discuss items which are actual for sale?
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 02:11 AM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Like Russel said, an Indian Bullova axe.

You know that it is not allowed to discuss items which are actual for sale?
Which does not make sense, as every forum I belong to (many) allows this type of discussion to some extent.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 02:25 AM   #5
russel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Which does not make sense, as every forum I belong to (many) allows this type of discussion to some extent.
I believe this is a perfectly reasonable rule of the forum: if one needs advice about a potential purchase, contacting forum members with expertise in the area by email or PM is always an option. An option I have exercised on numerous occasions: the generosity many members show with sharing their knowledge and enthusiastic encouragement is admirable.
Old 29th March 2015, 02:32 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
I believe this is a perfectly reasonable rule of the forum: if one needs advice about a potential purchase, contacting forum members with expertise in the area by email or PM is always an option. An option I have exercised on numerous occasions: the generosity many members show with sharing their knowledge and enthusiastic encouragement is admirable.

Hear him .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 06:59 AM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
And how exactly would someone without a lot of knowledge or experience know exactly who to contact. I thought the reason for having a forum was to discuss items, how does something being for sale make a difference. So once an item is sold then it can be discussed openly, how does that made sense. So if original poster would have just left out the part about the axe being "for sale" suddenly you would have no problem answering his questions, interesting. In my opinion, not allowing ANY discussion of items currently for sale and the antiquated image uploading capabilities severely limits the usefullness of this forum.

Here are some of the forums I know of were discussing a "for sale" item is allowed.

myarmoury.com
armourarchive.org
militaria.co.za
swordforum.com
tousando.proboards.com
sbg-sword-forum.forums.net
samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com
nihon-no-katchu.proboards.com
armsandarmourforum.com
muzzleloadingforum.com

Last edited by estcrh; 29th March 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 29th March 2015, 07:56 AM   #8
russel

I will leave this for forum moderators to comment on.
Old 29th March 2015, 08:11 AM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
I will leave this for forum moderators to comment on.
Russel, what harm do you think is done by openly discussing an item that is for sale as opposed to privately discussing it, I am trying to understand the logic behind it.
Old 29th March 2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Ken Maddock

Ok
Sorry for this
I taught the rule was about something for auction
This will be a purchase between two guys in his kitchen in dublin
I will stop enquiring on open forum again
Much appreciated for the information Russell
Regards
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 03:37 PM   #11
Emanuel

Smile

Quote:
Why is the staff so adamant against discussions of items that are for sale, particularly in auctions: This policy is intended to deter the possibility of a legal claim that a discussion on the forums soured a transaction or otherwise spoiled the auction process resulting in financial loss to third parties.

Reason for everything

Last edited by Emanuel; 29th March 2015 at 05:03 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 07:35 PM   #12
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Reason for everything
Quote:
(1. Discussion of items currently in the process of being offered for sale, especially active auctions, is strictly prohibited. This prohibition also includes posting of links or other identifying clues (such as auction numbers) and calling attention that a previously discussed item is now for sale.

Why is the staff so adamant against discussions of items that are for sale, particularly in auctions: This policy is intended to deter the possibility of a legal claim that a discussion on the forums soured a transaction or otherwise spoiled the auction process resulting in financial loss to third parties.)

If these are the rules then this post should be deleted immediately before the attornies get involved, Ken might decide NOT do buy the bulova he posted and the owner may blame the forum........oh my!!!!!!

It this supposed threat of legal action was so imminent than why do so many other forums have no problem discussing items that are currently for sale, including discussions of items being auctioned by the worlds largest auction houses? Rules need to be reevaluated from time to time.

Here are a from examples from other forums.
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewto...=asc&start=968
http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/forum...es-or-sellers/
http://nihon-no-katchu.proboards.com.../buying-advice
http://nihon-no-katchu.proboards.com...7/nyc-auctions
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/t...aginata?page=1
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ndo-or-Aoi-art